Please help! Gold hardware changing to silver

hothands

Jul 7, 2008
Please help with advice. I bought the jumbo beige claire in the spring and have just noticed that the gold is half gone. My hardware is now half gold and half silver. It is awful. I don't know what to do. I ordered my Chanel from the South Coast Plaza Chanel, but it was sent from the Wynn in Las Vegas. Since I am going to Vegas in a few hours, can anyone tell me whom I should take this up with and if there is any type of warranty? Do I have any rights at all? I do have my receipts. I can't believe for a purse this expensive, that this would happen. This purse isn't even 6 months old! Has this happened to anyone else? Thank you for any advice that you can give me.

You are under warranty for 1 year. They should give you a new bag or at least change the hardware for you. I have never heard of this happening to anyone else. I don't think it matters that it got transfered from the Wynn. You can take to your boutique. (Maybe someone else can chime in on this)Maybe even call the SA who you dealt with and tell them the problem. Sorry this happened, but they should definitly help you. Good luck.

Same thing happened to my black caviar jumbo with gold hw. My bag was less than a month old when I noticed that the gold was chipping off the lock. Part of my lock was a silver/anthracite color. I remember seeing a thread on here about Chanel changing the gold plating process. The previous gold hw bags have a marking on the cc plate and the newer gold hw bag do not. I'm not sure if it's true, but I read on that thread that they USED to use real gold to plate to locks and now they have stopped due to cost management. If this is true, and the newer gold hw bags start chipping, it seems that Chanel would lose more money in the long run. I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of defective gold hw bags being exchanged/returned. My black jumbo was less than a month old and I think I used it maybe 3 times. I'm the most anal person when it comes to babying my bags and I'm rather annoyed that the gold had chipped off. I took mine back to my NM SA and she exchanged mine for a new bag.

Yes, you are right about Chanel could lose money in the long run. I have bought 4 bags in the last couple of years, and am now rethinking future purchases. For the money that is spent on each bag, I don't expect things like this to happen. I knew about possible color transfers and having to take such care with the bags. Now, I just don't know if it is worth all of the extra hassle for a bag that doesn't seem to live up to the quality that I would expect. It seems like Chanel has been experiencing many problems with their merchandise this past year, from reading the posts.

Can't seem to see your pix even when I log onto FB...can you repost the link or use another URL? I am planning on buying the PST in the new beige claire and it has gold hw too...hope chipping doesn't happen to it after i buy it...

I can't see you pic either it brings me to your page but I guess I need to be a friend to see pics. I just bought the chocolate with gold hardwardware about 2 weeks ago. I would like to see what to look for on mine JIC it starts to happen.

I think you have to make the photo available to everyone so people can see.

Does anybody know that this could happen to the brushed gold hardware? Cus I just bought the reissue matte black with gold hardware.

OMG !!! I can't believe the poor quality of Chanel these days. They better do something for you. This never happened on the older Chanel flaps.

Actually it does happen to the older flaps and Chanel mention this in care books. All plated metal will lose color after long term use. If there is no plating loss on an older bag, it means that it wasn't carried much.

OP go get them! A six month old bag with this happening is totally scary.

you should definitely be covered under warranty. i don't know if they would just replace the bag or send it for repairs - but just so you know, if they are going to send it for repairs, you'll have to wait a few weeks to get it back. they should be able to look up your purchase, but if you have a receipt, it will be easier. good luck!

Same thing happened to my black caviar jumbo with gold hw. My bag was less than a month old when I noticed that the gold was chipping off the lock. Part of my lock was a silver/anthracite color. I remember seeing a thread on here about Chanel changing the gold plating process. The previous gold hw bags have a marking on the cc plate and the newer gold hw bag do not. I'm not sure if it's true, but I read on that thread that they USED to use real gold to plate to locks and now they have stopped due to cost management. If this is true, and the newer gold hw bags start chipping, it seems that Chanel would lose more money in the long run. I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of defective gold hw bags being exchanged/returned. My black jumbo was less than a month old and I think I used it maybe 3 times. I'm the most anal person when it comes to babying my bags and I'm rather annoyed that the gold had chipped off. I took mine back to my NM SA and she exchanged mine for a new bag.

Yeah, i'm not sure why Chanel had to change the Gold Hardware on the bags! I just got my classic flap with Gold hardware a few weeks ago but it is stamped so hopefully it won't start chipping. This would seriously worry me too and possibly make me rethink purchasing anything with Gold Hardware!

OP: bring your bag and the receipt back! Chanel should definetly exchange the bag for you since it's so new!