Please help! First Hermes Birkin purchase - size, colour questions

MoniqueNC

Feb 24, 2019
Hello! I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a Hermes bag. It will be second hand. The one I think I have fallen for is a HERMES ROSE TYRIEN BIRKIN BAG Size 35. It is in Epsom leather which I really like for the structure and durability. It has silver hardware which will work well with my mostly platinum jewellery. I often wear all black or all white outfits and like my bags or shoes to bring the pop of colour.
I have 3 questions:
1. Birkin vs Kelly?
2. Is such a bright colour a bad choice for a first Birkin?
3. I am only 5 foot tall. Is the 35 going to look too big on me? I usually wear Chanel classic flap or boy bags or Lady Dior bags.
Looking forward to your words of wisdom.
Thank you!

bag.jpg

1. Birkin vs Kelly?
3. I am only 5 foot tall. Is the 35 going to look too big on me? I usually wear Chanel classic flap or boy bags or Lady Dior bags.

1. Both are good options. No right or wrong.
2. Personal opinion. If you like pops of colours this is definitely it.
3. IMO I think 35's are too big for shorter people but it depends on what you carry. Don't forget 35's get heavy if you stuff them full. You'll need to somehow try on a 30/35 to see how they both look on you.

Good luck.

Hello! I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a Hermes bag. It will be second hand. The one I think I have fallen for is a HERMES ROSE TYRIEN BIRKIN BAG Size 35. It is in Epsom leather which I really like for the structure and durability. It has silver hardware which will work well with my mostly platinum jewellery. I often wear all black or all white outfits and like my bags or shoes to bring the pop of colour.
I have 3 questions:
1. Birkin vs Kelly?
Looking forward to your words of wisdom.
Thank you!

View attachment 4352585

Congrats on purchasing your first birkin! I'm sure this is super exciting for you!

For color, this is stunning, I love pink and Rose Tyrien is truly a stunning pink. I think any color is fine for your first birkin as long as you love it and it works for you. I promised myself my first would be a color because I think Hermes does colors so beautifully and that is what theyre really known for. Plus, neutral birkins are always in the market that you can find quite easily. Specific colors are much harder to come by so if you see something you like, scoop it up like tostitos sis!

And for me personally, I prefer Birkin over Kelly but that is very personal and depends with each person.

About size, 35 is def a big bag and it is also kinda heavy, Don't worry about how the bag may look, worry about whether or not your okay with carrying a bigger bag. I went for 30 because I wanted a smaller tote, but 35 is perfect for work/everyday so you may find it convenient for that.

Reactions: MoniqueNC
Congrats and may there be more to come!
1. Birkin vs Kelly? I personally like Birkin more, I find the Kelly a bit difficult if you need to keep getting things in and out of the bag.
2. Is such a bright colour a bad choice for a first Birkin? To each their own, considering you like pop colors, it wont be a bad choice if you like it. If the price is right, going for RT is a good call as there are plenty of other neutral colored bags out there in the market and it is not as easy from my own experience to find a good pop color bag at the price and condition which I think is reasonable for my bank.
3. I am only 5 foot tall. Is the 35 going to look too big on me? I usually wear Chanel classic flap or boy bags or Lady Dior bags. 35 would be quite big I think especially it is going to be a shopping / dinner bag (versus a work bag). If you need some reference points, do try on the different sizes of a birkin (if available to you), otherwise you can try go into the shops and see if they have garden party size 36 and carry it just for the feel of the size (definitely not the weight). Do bear in mind the weight factor as well, the weight of a B35 and a B30 can be quite different!

Reactions: MoniqueNC
thank you all so much for the quick and useful answers!
I think I am 100% decided on the rose tyrien now.
Fortunately I have access to the bag, so I can see and carry it, to test it out.
It is a big bag though and I don't work in a corporate environment.
I won't carry a lot in it, so not too worried about the weight...just don;t want it to look too overpowering on me...
Maybe I need to go and take a photo with it...?

1. Both are good options. No right or wrong.
2. Personal opinion. If you like pops of colours this is definitely it.
3. IMO I think 35's are too big for shorter people but it depends on what you carry. Don't forget 35's get heavy if you stuff them full. You'll need to somehow try on a 30/35 to see how they both look on you.

Good luck.

Congratulations for making this happen
How exciting
But before you take this plunge
Make sure
Read on threads
Epsom
Size 35
Plenty of info and pic on tyrien
If you like pink
Go for it

Congrats on purchasing your first birkin! I'm sure this is super exciting for you!

For color, this is stunning, I love pink and Rose Tyrien is truly a stunning pink. I think any color is fine for your first birkin as long as you love it and it works for you. I promised myself my first would be a color because I think Hermes does colors so beautifully and that is what theyre really known for. Plus, neutral birkins are always in the market that you can find quite easily. Specific colors are much harder to come by so if you see something you like, scoop it up like tostitos sis!

And for me personally, I prefer Birkin over Kelly but that is very personal and depends with each person.

About size, 35 is def a big bag and it is also kinda heavy, Don't worry about how the bag may look, worry about whether or not your okay with carrying a bigger bag. I went for 30 because I wanted a smaller tote, but 35 is perfect for work/everyday so you may find it convenient for that.

Congrats and may there be more to come!
1. Birkin vs Kelly? I personally like Birkin more, I find the Kelly a bit difficult if you need to keep getting things in and out of the bag.
2. Is such a bright colour a bad choice for a first Birkin? To each their own, considering you like pop colors, it wont be a bad choice if you like it. If the price is right, going for RT is a good call as there are plenty of other neutral colored bags out there in the market and it is not as easy from my own experience to find a good pop color bag at the price and condition which I think is reasonable for my bank.
3. I am only 5 foot tall. Is the 35 going to look too big on me? I usually wear Chanel classic flap or boy bags or Lady Dior bags. 35 would be quite big I think especially it is going to be a shopping / dinner bag (versus a work bag). If you need some reference points, do try on the different sizes of a birkin (if available to you), otherwise you can try go into the shops and see if they have garden party size 36 and carry it just for the feel of the size (definitely not the weight). Do bear in mind the weight factor as well, the weight of a B35 and a B30 can be quite different!

Reactions: hopiko
thank you all so much for the quick and useful answers!
I think I am 100% decided on the rose tyrien now.
Fortunately I have access to the bag, so I can see and carry it, to test it out.
It is a big bag though and I don't work in a corporate environment.
I won't carry a lot in it, so not too worried about the weight...just don;t want it to look too overpowering on me...
Maybe I need to go and take a photo with it...?

That is really good. I would 100% try it out and see!

I love pop colors as well and Rose Tyrion is a lovely choice!
Update us when you are able to “try on” the bag!
oh...and yes! Share photos........see what we think about the size on you.
Good Luck!

Thanks again. I will try to go and see it again tomorrow and take some casual pics as that is how i will use the bag - every single day - cost per wear you know! lol!

There has been a lot of well informed advice and you are posing all the right questions.
Do you want a bag to carry open or closed?
Neither bags have the most convenient access when closed. That is why if you look are 'real' rather than 'posed' 'in-action' shots Birkins are frequently used with the (awkward ?) flap tucked into the back, making it an open bag. Sometimes Kelly's are not latched and hang open in a very insecure manner, especially when using the shoulder strap.
If you don't use the sangles, you can access a closed Kelly more easily, but it might cause stress on the turnlock.

As you will get a chance to try on the bag, be sure to examine it carefully as well. Worn corners on epsom bags is not easily fixed at the spa. Togo or clemence are more sturdy and are renewed well. (I realize that epsom may be the only choice in this color; I'd just check and hope the corners are in good condition.)

Congrats. I can feel your excitement all the way from my office . Lol

My only tip is - make sure you won’t get tired of that color in that size quickly. I personally prefer bright colors in smaller sized Bags.

How exciting!!! You've gotten some excellent advice but I'll add to it

1. Birkin vs Kelly? For me, I prefer the Birkin. A Kelly is very cumbersome to get in/out of. While I love the strap option, the fussiness of the Kelly does not work for me. Birkin can be worn with the top open which I love. It is also a more "casual" bag in my opinion.

2. Is such a bright colour a bad choice for a first Birkin? Not at all. Hermes does colors so well and I tend to prefer bright colors as the rest of my wardrobe is relatively neutral. The B35 is big so just make sure that you are ok carrying a larger bag in a bright color. It will attract attention - some people don't mind but others are bothered by it.
3. I am only 5 foot tall. Is the 35 going to look too big on me? I'm 5'0 tall and I have a B35. While I don't think it's big, the best option is for you to try it on. Keep in mind that a B35 is heavy - that's the main reason why I don't carry mine more often. Here's a pic of me with my B35 in a bright color!!!

mod shot.jpg

Congrats on your decision to make the plunge. I think the color is lovely.

As for the size, I’m 5’7 and brought B35 while I was 7-8 months pregnant. At the time I thought the size was prefect for me. I still love the bag but given my lifestyle now with juggling babies, I find the bag way too heavy and very cumbersome. I have a tendency to carry more with a bigger bag. That point aside...even without filling the bag, it’s still VERY heavy. I hope this helps and again happy hunting for your prefect bag.

Congrats on your first bag . All the posts above are so helpful and answered all your question so I don't want to repeat every thing again .

I am 5'1 - ish :biggrin: and my first bag was a birkin 42 jpg in celmance or togo ( I forgot it was 11 yrs ago ) that I bought straight from Hermes display . I was in my freshmen year at collage , so the bag was supper helpful for books , laptop and stuff . It was very heavy , spacial for traveling , but I had the option of putting it on my shoulder. Back then I was skinnier :doh: and used to wearing high heels , now I am a mom so the bag looks so big on me with some motherhood weight :biggrin: + no heels or shorter ones at least . I tried a black birkin 35 croc in H store once and found it not that big for daily use and travel if it wasn't croc . Because it was in a darker color it looked ok, not that big. I consider birkin 30 a large bag for my hight and 35 huge.

I suggest that you try on both sizes , 35 and 30 if you can just to be sure . When it comes to bags I find that hight , weight , cultural preferences , nationality and personal taste all play a big part in choosing the best bag to suit you . For example in the Middle East ( where I am from ) and in Asia , the smaller the better . A size 25 is ideal , size 30 is more casual , size 35 is a travel bag . Maybe it has to do with the average high :amuse: here . On the other hand in the US, Russia and some parts of Europe , where ladies are magistracy tall :cool: they like to carry bigger bags , 30 is medium and 35 is an every day bag and it looks amazing on them .

So in conclusion , sorry for the long post , take your time and try it on . If you feel you can't live without it and you will regret it if you go empty handed , then go for it :amuse:. if not I hope other bags appear your way .