Please help - e-cheque on ebay - what shall I do?

honeybunch

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
England, UK
I recently sold a designer item on ebay for £1550. The seller only has 19 feedback, but it's all positive. However, the last thing they purchased was a very long time ago. Anyway, they have paid me by e-cheque and I know I have to wait until it clears but now I'm a little concerned as I have read about scammers who either use someone elses bank account fraudulently or who claim that someone has fraudulently used their account, so that paypal end up refunding the account it has come from, resulting in the seller, in this case me, ending up out of pocket. The item will already have been sent as the payment would have cleared so I would have lost out all round. The buyer's address is apparently confirmed but it is the address of a business at an industrial estate, not a personal address, which concerns me further. Or am I just being paranoid? Does paypal have any seller protection for situations such as this?

lizziecat

O.G.
Nov 18, 2006
UK
My understanding is that as long as you wait until Paypal confirms that the e-cheque has cleared and that you are okay to send the item, you are fully covered by Paypal's seller protection. Since the address is also confirmed (even though I understand your anxiety about it being a business address, but as long as Paypal has confirmed it, you are surely covered), you have fully complied with Paypal's guidance and should be protected.

I've been paid with e-cheques before and the only problem is the long wait for it to clear (or otherwise!). E-cheques can disappoint and end up not being paid.

Jan 15, 2010
Yes do not send until check clears. And also before you ship, make sure that the sellers eBay account info matches up with their PayPal acct info. I recently got scammed involving an e-check. But that doesn't mean all people who use e-check are scammers!! I just had a bad experience.

honeybunch

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
England, UK
Yes do not send until check clears. And also before you ship, make sure that the sellers eBay account info matches up with their PayPal acct info. I recently got scammed involving an e-check. But that doesn't mean all people who use e-check are scammers!! I just had a bad experience.
I just checked that the addresses match up and they do. I just wondered what the scam was that happened to you?