Please help...dye transfer on Burberry bag!!!

vhsethan

O.G.
Jul 18, 2007
honestly, I don't think ANYTHING will get out marks/transfer from Burberry bags. ...thats why I got rid of my Burberry Nova Tote. They haymarket might be a little bit better, but I have a Nova (porus) wallet that has some random denim transfer on it; NOTHING gets it out. I tried Mr. Clean Magic, leather cleaner, hairspray, Coach cleaner, soap, toothbrush, ect. NOTHING will get it out.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd get rid of the bag as soon as possible.

hvs0909

Apr 26, 2009
Hey "happypug" did burberry finally give you a new bag? I have the same issue with my Nova check tote and i've literally tried everything, but no success. Did you buy your bag from the burberry store?

mgilliam

Jan 23, 2011
Has anyone tried this service for dye stains on a Burberry Nova Check bag?
http://www.bagborroworsteal.com/handbag-repair/

I'm so mad about the stain on my bag. I have been so careful and only worn it with jeans that have already been washed. How could it transfer after the jeans have been washed? Nothing else I own is this sensitive!

taya19

O.G.
Jan 13, 2011
UK,Dubai
the nova check bag is easier to clean than leather, yesterday i took my trench leather bag to burberry because it had jeans mark on it and the sales man said its impossible to remove it and told me never wear a light bag with jeans. have it washed several times, i guess one time is not enough dear.
i guess if u can go to burberry they can help u they even have a product for cleaning nova check bags. i also have a nova check wallet i cleaned it with damp cloth rubbing it gently it got clean

OVincze

Oct 8, 2010
Very true, I agree with your above statements taya19.

My Nova tote has been the most durable out of all the handbags I got. It has been literally indestructible so far. Now true, I have only had it about 4 months but worn it a lot. First, it has never gotten dye transfer but then I do not really wear jeans, I do wear it with mostly black to the office though. I also got the special cleaner for it and clean the bag after wearing it almost each time. It does not get scratched either which my leather bags do. I love all leather bags but they are a lot more delicate in my opinion.

Also, I have been told that any bag whether made of leather or coated canvas and of any brand, in a light color can get stained. Light colored leather cannot be cleaned only restored by redying.

mgilliam

Jan 23, 2011
Thanks everyone! How does restoration / redying work? Definitely don't wear jeans with your Nova check bag! I wish I had known this and NEVER would have worn jeans with my Burberry Nova check. It even picked up an outline of my cell phone where it was in the pocket inside the bag! That's the worst part!

Nov 20, 2010
I have been working with these handbags for many years. Occasionally they can be cleaned . Many strong cleaners can work, including simple green, and acetone. Dont worry about damaging the material, it's such junk that it easily attracts permanent stains, however it is nearly impossible to damage with chemicals.

OVincze

Oct 8, 2010
I read an article sometime about the issue of color transfer, I think I found the article somewhere on TPF. There is even a term for this and it is a problem to do with clothing and dying not any bags. This makes sense because the color has to bleed from the clothes to transfer onto a bag. Any light colored bags will have this problem but leather is worse than Nova PVC. If you can get the cleaner Burberry makes in my opinion it is the best, you may have to rub it to get it out but it should come out.

I never got color transfer on my Nova but that could be due to the fact that I have tons of clothes but most are not brand new. The article I read stated that a clothing item has to be washed at least 15 times for transfer not to occur, this is especially true in the case of jeans which are the worst. Strangely I always wore my Nova with dark clothes as I mostly wear black, navy, grey etc. to the office. My winter jacket I wear the Nova with is black and obviously it has never been washed yet the problem just does not occur.

I am not sure why anyone would think that the Burberry PVC is junk then it could be said about any PVC bag, LV, etc. too. Then at the same time it was suggested it was very durable and yes that I found to be the case. I also owned a Furla PVC wallet which cracked within 2 months but that was not the case with the Burberry. I love Furla leather but I think companies that have been making coated canvas bags for a long time are making better bags out of that material. If you do not like your Nova, try a Haymarket, I am told those are even less likely to attract stains but then again any light colored material can possibly.

Nov 20, 2010
Hi,
I'll tell you why they are junk. I have worked extensively with Burberry handbags ( and everyone elses too ). L.V. coated canvas is far better, Burberry plastic tears so easy at the stitch holes and usually there is no backing at the stress points. I have seen so many Nova Check handbags used just a few times and ripped badly. In 30 years of doing the finest handbag work I have never seen such poorly made goods. Their leather trim ( and handles ) are terrible quality too. I work with leather EVERYDAY of my life.
Just telling the truth. :peace:

Coral3

Feb 13, 2010
Australia
I'm pretty new to Burberry bags, I only just got my first (and last! - because I didn't realise that colour transfer was so bad with them) recently (Nova check). Every time I've used it it has picked up colour transfer from my clothing/jeans, but cleaning with baby wipes the same day seems gets it all off. I queried the cleaning issue with the SA who sold it to me, and he said that stains will come off, IF cleaned the SAME DAY. If you leave the stains on the Nova check longer than that then they permeate into the canvas further and nothing will get them out.

Tamarind

Sep 7, 2006
I stumbled on this thread while looking for something else. Years ago I got rid of my burberry tote (don't know the name but it's a coated PVC in the plaid (older one not novachek) that I bought in 2001 from the NYC Burberry store. I was wearing regularly a black Moncler parka and sometimes put the tote on my shoulder. Soon I realized that the top part of my tote was darkened and it looked really dirty. I tried so many things but nothing could get it out. Eventually I just got rid of the bag and never bought another one like that again. I also stopped wearing a bag on my shoulder and switched style completely. I kept the parka and still wear it now sometimes. I like dark color parkas because they stay clean longer that way, but I guess something has to give somewhere. If I had had a light color parka my bag would have been fine but my parka would have gotten dirty. I have no tolerance for dye transfer and for this reason also no longer wear very dark blue jeans.

Feb 20, 2011
i've heard about baby wipes too but i don't think it can get rid of dye, maybe just a little. i would recommend bringing it to a leather shop where they are professionals at cleaning all leather goods.

OVincze

Oct 8, 2010
Mastercraftsman, thank you for the information. I wonder why my experience has been so good with my Nova. I have had problems with bags from other designers but not my Nova, I guess just different people different experiences. Also, it depends on your point of view; my all leather bags get scratched and look ugly which annoys me greatly but my Nova shows absolutely no wear and still looks brand new. Mine has patent leather trimmings and again patent is very durable in my opinion. I see what you mean though because after months of wear my Nova is starting to look slightly dirty and if I was not cleaning it then maybe it would look really bad. However, the Burberry PVC cleaning foam solves this problem. That may be the best way to go for everyone, since the new website is worldwide I think this cleaning foam may be available worldwide too now.