PLEASE HELP: Caviar Boy Bag Navy or Black 18P

Dec 28, 2012
This is my first post here, although this forum has been an invaluable source of daily information!
I’ve been building a vintage/preloved collection.
Yesterday, I made my first new boutique purchase (thanks to those in the past who suggested opening a store card for 10% off and it was also triple points)
My struggle is choosing btwn the beautiful navy with ghw and black with ruthenium. Black with ghw is also an option.
All caviar and new medium size.
I love them equally. Which would you choose?
The navy caviar is a bit softer to the touch.
I came home with the navy, but still not sure!306FDA02-C404-460F-947D-D9F89096EA47.jpeg1B70D0E9-D67C-4791-9940-021853EEF065.jpeg EEB20A68-A626-44C1-B894-FF200930A2D8.jpegFCBD4C8C-25DA-43EB-A79F-0D70D6985D34.jpeg 306FDA02-C404-460F-947D-D9F89096EA47.jpeg1B70D0E9-D67C-4791-9940-021853EEF065.jpegEEB20A68-A626-44C1-B894-FF200930A2D8.jpegFCBD4C8C-25DA-43EB-A79F-0D70D6985D34.jpeg
My preloved/vintage collection includes black bags with both gold and silver hardware. One is a classic flap lambskin medium in black/gold.
And I recently purchased a Chloe Drew in a blue with ghw.
Researching resale sites, it looks like black has a higher resale value vs navy if I decide to sell in the future?
Is one color combo rarer or more difficult to acquire in store?
Which bag or boy do you find yourself using more often?
Thank you SO much for any insight!!

hmmm... difficult choice. Both bags are beautiful.
I have had the same dilemma. But as I already have the Black leather Dionysus with RHW, so I chose Navy boy in lambskin with GHW.
if you intend to sell in the future, IMO Black bags always have a more buyer compare to other colors.
But you already have a black Chanel in your collection so why don't you try the Navy boy.
just my two cents :smile:

Last edited:
This is my first post here, although this forum has been an invaluable source of daily information!
I’ve been building a vintage/preloved collection.
Yesterday, I made my first new boutique purchase (thanks to those in the past who suggested opening a store card for 10% off and it was also triple points)
My struggle is choosing btwn the beautiful navy with ghw and black with ruthenium. Black with ghw is also an option.
All caviar and new medium size.
I love them equally. Which would you choose?
The navy caviar is a bit softer to the touch.
I came home with the navy, but still not sure!View attachment 4012560View attachment 4012561 View attachment 4012562View attachment 4012563 View attachment 4012560View attachment 4012561View attachment 4012562View attachment 4012563
My preloved/vintage collection includes black bags with both gold and silver hardware. One is a classic flap lambskin medium in black/gold.
And I recently purchased a Chloe Drew in a blue with ghw.
Researching resale sites, it looks like black has a higher resale value vs navy if I decide to sell in the future?
Is one color combo rarer or more difficult to acquire in store?
Which bag or boy do you find yourself using more often?
Thank you SO much for any insight!!

Both are absolutely beautiful bags! I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Black with rhuthenium hardware tends to be a more classic choice, goes with everything and if you want to sell in the future, it will be easier and tends to hold value more. I also find black is easier to find in store. Navy with gold is a harder to come by option, stands out more (in my opinion with the GHW) but may not be as easy to resell in the future. I personally don't buy bags with the intention of ever selling, but that may change! I also consider which style, ease of use and colour combination that is more appropriate with my style. My first boy was a black chevron calfskin with rhuthenium hardware and I don't regret it at all. Hope that helps some! On another note, I am looking for that exact navy boy but in old medium size. Would you happen to know the style number? Thanks! :smile:

Reactions: Blueboxhappy
Personal preference but I prefer my boys cool and my flaps classic. Therefore black with rhw would be my preference amidst the 2. I personally don’t see the body boy bag silhouette as dressy/feminine by itself. Don’t get me wrong chanel was able to create a few that can be exceptions to the rule (as all things can have).

Navy with that gold is very beautiful but not “cool” and quite large in size new medium for me as a more dressed up/dressy looking bag.

Personally with my styling I would struggle with what outfit I can build around the navy boy vs how the bag complement groups or various types of my outfits and elevate them :yes:

hmmm... difficult choice. Both bags are beautiful.
I have had the same dilemma. But as I already have the Black leather Dionysus with RHW, so I chose Navy boy in lambskin with GHW.
if you intend to sell in the future, IMO Black bags always have a more buyer compare to other colors.
But you already have a black Chanel in your collection so why don't you try the Navy boy.
just my two cents :smile:

Thanks for your thoughts! Lovely bags-Do you find yourself reaching often for your navy boy?

Reactions: Sandyhk
06B30EB7-331A-41C5-B477-14721CACEB88.png
Both are absolutely beautiful bags! I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Black with rhuthenium hardware tends to be a more classic choice, goes with everything and if you want to sell in the future, it will be easier and tends to hold value more. I also find black is easier to find in store. Navy with gold is a harder to come by option, stands out more (in my opinion with the GHW) but may not be as easy to resell in the future. I personally don't buy bags with the intention of ever selling, but that may change! I also consider which style, ease of use and colour combination that is more appropriate with my style. My first boy was a black chevron calfskin with rhuthenium hardware and I don't regret it at all. Hope that helps some! On another note, I am looking for that exact navy boy but in old medium size. Would you happen to know the style number? Thanks! :smile:

Yes, of course! Here you go:smile:
The navy is so striking! And it seems like it does have a “uniqueness” factor working for it. You will love it!
Btw, your black chevron/ruthenium is awesome-love that combo!

Personal preference but I prefer my boys cool and my flaps classic. Therefore black with rhw would be my preference amidst the 2. I personally don’t see the body boy bag silhouette as dressy/feminine by itself. Don’t get me wrong chanel was able to create a few that can be exceptions to the rule (as all things can have).

Navy with that gold is very beautiful but not “cool” and quite large in size new medium for me as a more dressed up/dressy looking bag.

Personally with my styling I would struggle with what outfit I can build around the navy boy vs how the bag complement groups or various types of my outfits and elevate them :yes:

Such a great point about the cool and classic!
That’s why I’m so torn about the black/ruthenium. It’s definitely a more modern, edgy vibe with that bag.

I live in LA, where we're a bit freer with our styling. I think the navy is absolutely stunning and if you told me where to buy it I would get it in a heartbeat.

Saks :smile:

I’m prob a bit “freer” with my styling as well!
Purple hair, purple glasses with flowers hand pressed in front and sides, love embroidery...
I was hoping to rock a cool factor with the navy, but black/ruthenium prob seems like the more obvious choice for me:smile:

I think you should choose what attracts u the most. And try to match it with ur wardrobe . Which one will look good most of the time. Navy blue with gold is more attractive than the black rhw. Black rhw can go more low key . I got the black and gold. I saw a dark navy (saks have one) that looked black could be a better option. Black is easier to match also .

They are all beautiful, you can't go wrong!

If you have a lot of black bags and want something different, navy is a great choice, it's perfect with jeans, it's still a dark color so don't have to worry about it looking dirty or color transfer. Navy and gold is so beautiful together.

Obviously black might go with more clothing, and easier to resell. But I wouldn't buy it at all if reselling is in your mind in the least. Both hardware are nice with black, maybe go with what jewelry you wear more, or the hardware you have less of or just prefer more.

I wear black bags more than anything as I have many of them, but I don't even have a nice navy bag. If I did I would wear it (not as much as black though probably). I wear navy shoes fairly often, mostly with denim, navy, tan. I like navy with bright pink or red or gold or cream.

Something made you choose the navy/gold as the one to take home :amuse: