Please help! Can't decide what to buy!

Britt681

Aug 1, 2011
Hi Ladies,

I am thinking about purchasing a Chanel bag, but cannot decide between the Black GST with GHW or a Black Jumbo or M/L Flap with GHW. My fiance bought me a black WOC with SHW for my birthday last year, and I have a black smooth leather Celine mini Luggage, so I want something that will compliment what I already have. I love both the GST and the flap, but I don't think I want to spend the money on both. What do you all think? Is the M/L Flap too small if I go for the flap?

Thank you!

Hi Ladies,

I am thinking about purchasing a Chanel bag, but cannot decide between the Black GST with GHW or a Black Jumbo or M/L Flap with GHW. My fiance bought me a black WOC with SHW for my birthday last year, and I have a black smooth leather Celine mini Luggage, so I want something that will compliment what I already have. I love both the GST and the flap, but I don't think I want to spend the money on both. What do you all think? Is the M/L Flap too small if I go for the flap?

Thank you!
I would vote for a classic flap over the GST.

As for which size flap, I think you need to first determine how you will use the bag. By this I mean, will the bag be a daily use bag or more of an evening bag? I say this because most people find the jumbo a great daily bag and the medium a perfect evening bag. If you want to use as a daily bag and carry a lot, then jumbo since medium will be too small since it can only hold the necessities. If you don't carry that much, then medium and it could then transition as an evening bag as well. So basically, you need to see which fits your lifestyle best. I would also say GHW since you have a WOC with SHW.

Other points to consider is which looks best on you and since you have a WOC this could serve as an evening/going out piece and you could then use the jumbo as a daily bag.

As for which size flap, I think you need to first determine how you will use the bag. By this I mean, will the bag be a daily use bag or more of an evening bag? I say this because most people find the jumbo a great daily bag and the medium a perfect evening bag. If you want to use as a daily bag and carry a lot, then jumbo since medium will be too small since it can only hold the necessities. If you don't carry that much, then medium and it could then transition as an evening bag as well. So basically, you need to see which fits your lifestyle best. I would also say GHW since you have a WOC with SHW.

Other points to consider is which looks best on you and since you have a WOC this could serve as an evening/going out piece and you could then use the jumbo as a daily bag.

I second that, since you have a smaller woc for going out, i vote for jumbo in black ghw. very classic

Since you love both, perhaps you can get the flap (price increase is fast & furious) now and the GST later? If you are a light packer, M/L can take you from day into night. If you need more of a day bag, try one of the larger sizes like the Jumbo or Maxi. I personally love Reissues over Classics. Good luck deciding!

Thank you for your advice! I just found a GST with GHW and am trying not to be an impulse shopper and really think this through :smile:

I would probably use the Flap as a weekend bag (or a weekday bag if I didn't have a lot to bring to work). The M/L would definitely be too small for a work bag, but it would be perfect on the weekend when I didn't need to carry around too much. I like big bags generally so I am thinking the Jumbo is probably a better choice for me.

Thank you for your advice! I just found a GST with GHW and am trying not to be an impulse shopper and really think this through :smile:

I would probably use the Flap as a weekend bag (or a weekday bag if I didn't have a lot to bring to work). The M/L would definitely be too small for a work bag, but it would be perfect on the weekend when I didn't need to carry around too much. I like big bags generally so I am thinking the Jumbo is probably a better choice for me.
If you like big bags and would use this more on the weekends, then I would choose the jumbo over the medium since you already have a WOC which can serve the purpose as something smaller and when you don't need to carry that much. You could then use the jumbo for work purposes too.

Have you thought about the reissue style like EmmaPaige suggested? The 226 is the same price as the classic jumbo, comes in aged black calfskin with GHW, and is a size in between the M/L and Jumbo. I believe it measures 11 inches while the M/L is 10 inches and the Jumbo is 12 inches.

If you like big bags and would use this more on the weekends, then I would choose the jumbo over the medium since you already have a WOC which can serve the purpose as something smaller and when you don't need to carry that much. You could then use the jumbo for work purposes too.

Have you thought about the reissue style like EmmaPaige suggested? The 226 is the same price as the classic jumbo, comes in aged black calfskin with GHW, and is a size in between the M/L and Jumbo. I believe it measures 11 inches while the M/L is 10 inches and the Jumbo is 12 inches.

I have thought about the reissue, but I think I may like the classic flap better. I am most likely going to buy a used bag - I don't think I can justify spending almost $5000 on a new one - and I have come across more classic flaps than reissues.

Britt681 said:
Hi Ladies,

Thank you!

I purchased the black caviar M/L classic flap with silver hardware in March (my first Chanel). I absolutely love it! Before I bought it, I carried big bags most of the time. Now, I tend to only carry necessities, which has worked so far! I can comfortably fit a small wallet, iPhone, keys, and lip gloss with no problem. I wear the M/L during the day and at night as well. About 2 weeks ago, I bought the black caviar WOC with gold hardware as my second chanel! I think I just love how dainty the small chanels feel! Plus, the WOC can be worn cross body and so many other ways that the versatility makes it unique.

If I had an extra $5000 laying around (which I don't lol) I would probably buy a jumbo or maxi, but I think the M/L serves a great purpose. Whatever you decide, you cant go wrong, especially because the hardware color will be different.

Good luck :smile:

I purchased the black caviar M/L classic flap with silver hardware in March (my first Chanel). I absolutely love it! Before I bought it, I carried big bags most of the time. Now, I tend to only carry necessities, which has worked so far! I can comfortably fit a small wallet, iPhone, keys, and lip gloss with no problem. I wear the M/L during the day and at night as well. About 2 weeks ago, I bought the black caviar WOC with gold hardware as my second chanel! I think I just love how dainty the small chanels feel! Plus, the WOC can be worn cross body and so many other ways that the versatility makes it unique.

If I had an extra $5000 laying around (which I don't lol) I would probably buy a jumbo or maxi, but I think the M/L serves a great purpose. Whatever you decide, you cant go wrong, especially because the hardware color will be different.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks! Everytime I think I've made up my mind and I'm going to look for a Jumbo (resale), I keep thinking about how the M/L would make a great "in-between" bag between the Celine Mini Luggage and the WOC. I think it may be the perfect size for when I want to carry more than the WOC but I don't want my huge work bag!

I would go for the flaps! You should also consider the weight. The jumbo is definitely heavier compared to the m/l thats the reason why I don't carry them that much. I usually use my m/l or even the minis on the weekends. I do not use my chanels during weekdays/workdays......but I have been trying to see if I should....