Please help an old broad choose a Carly

Sundial

Nov 25, 2007
Hi everyone! This is my first post and I'm hoping you guys will help an old broad make a decision. I have been purse obsessed for more years than I care to admit. My first really nice bags were from Coach. In recent years I have tried some of the more expensive brands like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Marc Jacobs, but I have found myself drawn back to Coach especially the all leather bags. To me the prices are so reasonable for the quality. I am thinking about getting a Carly as I love the look and everyone here seems to be happy with that bag. I will probably go with the medium because I am only 5' 2" and the larger one seems a little overwhelming. I am really stuck on the color though. I am torn between the leather in the rich looking brown and the versatile camel. Any thoughts? Do you think this bag is too young looking for someone in their early fifties? I appreciate your honest opinions.

First off, welcome to the forum! I think the leather Carly is a classic and would look great on anybody. As for color choice, I love the way the brown looks, but the camel is so versatile. It would depend on what your wardrobe is like.

I wear my dark brown leather carly with everything, black, brown, everything. I don't worry about the weather, dirt or anything, it is a carefree bag.

I don't know if you can make a bad choice with Carly! I have the large leather in black (I'm 5'4"), and it's a wonderful bag! You should go to the boutique and try both colors on, to see which one you like the best. Good luck!

Welcome to the purse forum!! I think the carly is good for any age. I've seen women of all ages wear it and wear it well. I personally prefer the dark brown over the camel in color. If you could pull the red off I think that would be great, its just not me. Now if it was pink I'd be all over it though!! I just feel that between the two browns the dark brown would be a lot easier to care for. Have fun shopping!!!

I like the camel b/c it has the contrast of the darker leather strap. I think it makes the bag look that much nicer. But i like the brown too! I really dont think you can go wrong in whichever color you pick, they are all so pretty! Even so, Im not crazzzy about the chili- just b/c i think it could be hard to find outfits it would go with. Let us know what you ultimately decide!

First of all you are not old, since you are thinking about a Carly for your smart casual look, it's attitude that draws us toward a look and it's our attitude that lets us carry the look off!

Brown or camel are smart casual, chili is sassy casual. I don't consider Carly a young or old look but rather a touch of subtle class! Go get one and enjoy it!

Thank you to everyone who responded for making me feel welcome and for posting your thoughts! All three colors are just gorgeous, but I finally decided on the camel. As much as I would love to have a red bag like the chili, I just don't think I would carry it that much. The dark brown is to die for, but I realized that I have several other bags in that color. The camel is different for me and I think it will go with pretty much everything I wear. I also like the fact that it is kind of two tone which highlights the Carly style. Since I don't live near a Coach boutique I am ordering it today along with a Legacy wallet. My husband wants me to save it until Christmas but I will try to come back and post pictures.

Welcome to tPF Sundial!

First: It doesn't matter if you are in your early fifties! If the bag looks great and makes you feel great then go for it! Age is just a number!

Second: I would vote for the Brown. It's beautiful.

The Camel is beautiful too. I just tend to wear dark colors so I'm drawn to the Brown.

I hope you get to post up pictures. You can wait for Christmas... Just take pictures before you put them under the tree. LOL!