Please help an H newbie decide what to do

Question: are you just anxious about this particular opportunity because it seems like a "bargain"? Because no bag is a bargain at the wrong time or if it's the wrong bag. A "deal" in a Kelly will come along again. This is a very good price, but not the last good price on the planet.
As others have noted, the K32 in Europe starts around 7K Euros, so you're looking at around $7500 and up (figure the detaxe and your duty coming back into the US pretty much offset each other). The Euro is a little volatile right now so unpredictable. Plus you get to wait in the cold from 7 am and spend your entire day trying to get a Kelly, at which point you get the color(s) they have. I wouldn't do this unless you genuinely like the thrill of the hunt.
Now, if you're in love with this particular bag (and bleu sapphire IS a great color)-

1) I'd take a look at the Kelly size/modeling threads. I'm pretty small and I can't wear bigger than a K32, but I have friends close to my size who can carry a K35. I also carry a B35, which a lot of petite women will not do, so I think it's largely a question of personal style. So get comfy with the 35. I would advise getting to a local consignment place that has Kellys if you can, to try on in person.

2) I'd look at the resellers thread in H Shopping and check out some of the bags and prices from the trusted sellers online.

3) I'd be realistic about money. I get panicked when I buy something expensive as I also think of everything else going on. But in my heart if I look clearly at the situation, I know if it's actually a real financial issue or just me being uncomfortable with a huge purchase. Obv if it's a real financial issue, don't buy, but if you'd be comfortable buying a Chanel for this, well, almost everyone here will say "Get the H" :P
BTW I agree wholeheartedly with BBC that you keep wearing good bags when you have kids...it's really important to continue spoiling yourself! Congratulations on everything!

Whilst not an expert I will throw my two penneth in.
Blue sapphire looks a lovely shade in the fjord leather.
Fjord is quite a desirable leather for its hard wearing properties but heavier than say Togo.
This might be a consideration in a 35.
I am 5'2" and not ultra slim, a U.K. 10/12 and a K35 is probably my preferred size but it is more of a tote than a handbag on me.
I also prefer B35 to a B30 as again more tote than handbag.
Hope this helps.
:smile:

What a gorgeous bag!!! I love that shade of blue and the PWH compliments it very well! I'm a guy and not a expert on pricing but if you can keep it, I would! I love seeing women in this kind of colour. For me it's like royal blue, reminds me of Princess Diana. If you do end up returning it, I hope you'll find one in Paris when you go there.

Attachments

• IMG_8664.JPG
    IMG_8664.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 299
Sigh I keep oscillating back and forth. I think I need to go to a consignment shop here in NYC to try on sizes. I fear that the 35 will be too big on me as I intend to wear it mostly on the shoulder.

Sigh I keep oscillating back and forth. I think I need to go to a consignment shop here in NYC to try on sizes. I fear that the 35 will be too big on me as I intend to wear it mostly on the shoulder.
If you're in NYC there are many places you can go to try on a K. I would DEFINITELY do that. The bags can look completely different on each person's frame.

Hi everyone,

Would appreciate the advice. I only have one Hermes bag (Evelyn in blue electric), and never thought I would ever own one of the ultimate classics (to me a B or a K) because I am not comfortable spending $10k+ on a bag. I personally am not fond of the B due to the size as a handbag but have had a soft spot for the Kelly.

I have an opportunity to buy an excellent condition Kelly Retourne 35 in blue sapphire fjord leather for $5,800. Mind you, I am 5'3" on a good day. From photos, the softer leather and slimmer shape does seem ok for a more petite frame. I love love blue bags.

I currently have a lot of house construction projects however which are already expensive. I also just bought an expensive piece of jewelry. I'm also going to Paris in May and was hoping to get the LV Pochette Metis in empreinte leather in marine rouge (dark blue with red trim), which I thought would be a good functional crossbody bag since I have a two year old and a baby on the way (read: baby = more expenses!). I wanted to take advantage of the lower price in Paris especially with current exchange rates.

I have larger bags already but I don't know if this could be my only opportunity to get a classic H in excellent condition for the price of a Chanel. I like the color a lot as well. But I feel guilty for spending so much with everything going on.

H experts - do you think I could come by an offer like this again? What are good resellers with good prices?

First of all we are Hermes twins. My VERY first Hermes bag was a blue electric Evelyn PM. I bought her pre-owned and I have loved her since.

I understand your conundrum.

For me, I still find myself looking at Kelly and Birkin bags because they are the quintessential Hermes bags. But, I KNOW deep down that they are not for me, even though I have a softer spot for a Kelly. I don't know if it is because I want to have the "accomplishment" of being offered one? Honestly, I can't tell. I would feel where I live very uncomfortable with wearing a Kelly or a Birkin. I already get a little... "shy" when someone says huh, that bag must have been very expensive if it is a Hermes.

What I do wonder about in your case, although you love blue bags, are you ONLY looking at this one because it is a deal and then you can get the classic bag? Or have you been wanting a Kelly for so long?

I love my blue electric Evelyn but quite frankly I bought it because it was a deal at the time, and not because I WANTED THAT ONE! The bag I had really really wanted was the Marwari and when I finally decided that yes I wanted it they stopped making it so I had to go the resell route and I got a color that was not my first choice (my first choice was Etoupe, I got the Ebene color).

@*NYC Princess* I left you a lengthy reply in your thread in the LV forum, then came over to the H thread and saw this!

Just wanted to add that I noticed a lot of people over there saying, "I'd never spend that kind of money on a used bag." Obviously it's a very personal decision, but I never considered buying a used -- err, pre-loved -- bag until I got into H. The quality of these bags is so amazing, and Hermes will service the bag (for a price) for the life of the bag, regardless of whether you are the first owner or the 50th. Also, like you, I had a very hard time swallowing the retail price of a Kelly. I was afraid that if I spent over $10K on a bag, I'd be too afraid of damaging it to use it. Going pre-owned saved me both money and agita!

@*NYC Princess* I left you a lengthy reply in your thread in the LV forum, then came over to the H thread and saw this!

Just wanted to add that I noticed a lot of people over there saying, "I'd never spend that kind of money on a used bag." Obviously it's a very personal decision, but I never considered buying a used -- err, pre-loved -- bag until I got into H. The quality of these bags is so amazing, and Hermes will service the bag (for a price) for the life of the bag, regardless of whether you are the first owner or the 50th. Also, like you, I had a very hard time swallowing the retail price of a Kelly. I was afraid that if I spent over $10K on a bag, I'd be too afraid of damaging it to use it. Going pre-owned saved me both money and agita!

I have bought used and new Hermes bags. The used ones bought have all been in excellent or like new condition. I find because they are so well made that people take exceptional care of them or the collectors have so many that each one gets little use. Although I am picky on the used ones I buy.

Hermes is... well.... I believe the pinnacle of craftsmanship. I probably wouldn't buy a used bag from another premier company, but with Hermes I have no qualms about it.

Reactions: catsinthebag
I have bought used and new Hermes bags. The used ones bought have all been in excellent or like new condition. I find because they are so well made that people take exceptional care of them or the collectors have so many that each one gets little use. Although I am picky on the used ones I buy.

Hermes is... well.... I believe the pinnacle of craftsmanship. I probably wouldn't buy a used bag from another premier company, but with Hermes I have no qualms about it.

I feel the same way! :tup:

First of all we are Hermes twins. My VERY first Hermes bag was a blue electric Evelyn PM. I bought her pre-owned and I have loved her since.

I understand your conundrum.

For me, I still find myself looking at Kelly and Birkin bags because they are the quintessential Hermes bags. But, I KNOW deep down that they are not for me, even though I have a softer spot for a Kelly. I don't know if it is because I want to have the "accomplishment" of being offered one? Honestly, I can't tell. I would feel where I live very uncomfortable with wearing a Kelly or a Birkin. I already get a little... "shy" when someone says huh, that bag must have been very expensive if it is a Hermes.

What I do wonder about in your case, although you love blue bags, are you ONLY looking at this one because it is a deal and then you can get the classic bag? Or have you been wanting a Kelly for so long?

I love my blue electric Evelyn but quite frankly I bought it because it was a deal at the time, and not because I WANTED THAT ONE! The bag I had really really wanted was the Marwari and when I finally decided that yes I wanted it they stopped making it so I had to go the resell route and I got a color that was not my first choice (my first choice was Etoupe, I got the Ebene color).

Hi H twin!! Yes I think you are right, I haven't looked long and hard for a Kelly by any means. This just came along and it seemed like my "only chance" to perhaps own the ultimate HG bag. Have to think through what I really need and want.

Reactions: lovetheduns
I think the best is to find a shop where you can try them on, either consignment stores or maybe boutique if they have sample size (not sure in NY). I personally am 5' 4 and cant pull of a K35.

As for now, larger K like K35 are sold cheaper compare to the smaller size. I guess it the mini bag trend now. So if its me, I will survey first, find out whats the best size/leather/color/hardware combination that works for me, then get a bag. Its still a sum of money, and I would want to be full prepared with all the info I need by the time I am ready to buy. All the best for you!