Please educate me about ostrich bumps

" Quill development
A ripe feather, when harvested, will leave a full-bodied round quill; this is the ideal. Green feather quills tend to be opened/flat/prolonged. A sunken quill is the opposite of a green feather and is a quill with no body and a distinctive hole in the centre. Extensive occurrence of under-developed quills in more than two quarters will be reason for a down-grade by one grade."

The words "opened" & "prolonged" have no meaning for me. I get flat--it is probably like picture number one.

I wonder if "full-bodied means" high like picture number 2.

So, "green feather quill" appears to refer to when a feather is plucked out prematurely.

From this book (via Google Books): In no case is an ostrich feather cut or pulled as long as there is a vestige of life in it. This is easily recognized by the green appearance of the quill, whereas, when the feather is dry, the quill is white or transparent and of a horny substance. The farmer is particularly cautious to examine every feather before cutting or pulling, in order not to touch a green feather, the removal of which would injure the socket or produce a badly defective feather, virtually worthless, for many years to come. Thus, the so-called plucking is no more painful than the cutting of one's nails or hair.

So, "green feather quill" appears to refer to when a feather is plucked out prematurely.

From this book (via Google Books): In no case is an ostrich feather cut or pulled as long as there is a vestige of life in it. This is easily recognized by the green appearance of the quill, whereas, when the feather is dry, the quill is white or transparent and of a horny substance. The farmer is particularly cautious to examine every feather before cutting or pulling, in order not to touch a green feather, the removal of which would injure the socket or produce a badly defective feather, virtually worthless, for many years to come. Thus, the so-called plucking is no more painful than the cutting of one's nails or hair.

Thank is a relief. I did not want to believe ostrichs' were being plucked alive. Stories like that start, get repeated, and the original source is just "someone said". I repeat--you are a better researcher than I am.

1. I want to know about the variation in how high the bumps stand up from the skin. Below are posted 3 pictures, low bumps, high bumps, and medium bumps. What causes this?

2. Some bumps look like concentric circles-a ring within a ring. This makes it look more authentic to me because there is so much variation, it couldn't possibly be embossed. Do some authentic ostrich not have the double rings? Why?

3. From my reading, I have learned that the area around the neck has the most feathers and the most dense bumps and is highest in value. What else influences ostrich value besides condition (not old and cracked) and obviously the designer. The question is limited to variations in skin that influence value.

4. Are there various types of ostrich like there are various types of croc?

1. The bumps are inherently present similar to the slight (almost invisible) bumps that we have at the base of our hairs, except that they house feathers. Removing the feathers cause a rupture in the skin which will show as small 'holes' in the bumps. The height of the bumps are generally determined by the treatment process, but the size and spacing between them is determined by the age of the animal and the area from which the skin was removed.

2. Ostrich skin do not have concentric circles other than the grain or wrinkles in the skin surrounding the bumps.

3. The number of bumps does not entirely influence the price of the skin. While it is true that the neck has the most frequency of this feature, you will find that skin from the neck are often minuscule and to a point 'scaly' and do not take dyes well. A desirable skin has uniform frequency, a good size of bumps and minimal wrinkling in the skin.

4. Yes, but no, there is no significant difference to tell them apart.

Removing the feathers cause a rupture in the skin which will show as small 'holes' in the bumps.

Ostrich skin do not have concentric circles other than the grain or wrinkles in the skin surrounding the bumps.

Thanks for the helpful information. I want to clarify that by concentric circles I mean the hole in the bump. The hole is round and the bump is round. :smile:

Do you have any idea why the holes are more prominent in some ostrich leathers and insignificant in others?

Enjoyed your how to wear prada thread.

Thanks for the helpful information. I want to clarify that by concentric circles I mean the hole in the bump. The hole is round and the bump is round. :smile:

Do you have any idea why the holes are more prominent in some ostrich leathers and insignificant in others?

Enjoyed your how to wear prada thread.

Yes, prominence of the holes or ruptures are mostly determined by the age of the animal. I will illustrate this with macros of bumps a bit later.

I think you possibly know more than me.

My understanding is that preparing the leather is a very lengthy and skilled process and the price paid for the skin grading is dependent on uniformity and the size of the neck and back area, the 'bumps' size and character dependent on the age of the bird, other areas including leg leather are of course secondary . Even the texture of ostrich leather without the markings is different to most others and it's one of the few exotics that can tolerate rain (lucky, 'cos I have a Prada ostrich jacket) but stains horribly from oils and takes up dye well initially but is often unstable and can fade and for that reason I always go for natural shades like tans and browns.

So far as I know there is only one type of ostrich (African) as far as I know. Croc types have developed depending which they originate but ostriches that live anywhere other than Africa are imported.
Hi,
Are you sure ostrich can tolerate raindrops and watermarks will not be left? Have a ostrich bgs which I seldom use as I heard it is very delicate and cannot even get wet

Hi,
Are you sure ostrich can tolerate raindrops and watermarks will not be left? Have a ostrich bgs which I seldom use as I heard it is very delicate and cannot even get wet

Also is it true the bumps or "eyes" may pop out and drop off with time?

I live in LA and it almost never rains, so rain is not a problem for me. Papertiger said earlier in this thread that ostrich tolerates water better than other exotics, but still it is probably not good to get it wet.

I am not sure what you mean about eyes popping out. The bumps are hair follicles so I have a hard time imagining what could drop off. The silly side of me imagines dandruff, but that is just a silly mental image. But maybe you know something I don't. I have heard of scales falling off other exotics, but as a bird, I don't think ostrich would have scales, so I can't think of what could fall off.

Thanks for your input.

I have done a search on ostrich skins but have not found the answer to my specific question. I am puzzled by the variation in what the bumps look like.

1. I want to know about the variation in how high the bumps stand up from the skin. Below are posted 3 pictures, low bumps, high bumps, and medium bumps. What causes this?

2. Some bumps look like concentric circles-a ring within a ring. This makes it look more authentic to me because there is so much variation, it couldn't possibly be embossed. Do some authentic ostrich not have the double rings? Why?

3. From my reading, I have learned that the area around the neck has the most feathers and the most dense bumps and is highest in value. What else influences ostrich value besides condition (not old and cracked) and obviously the designer. The question is limited to variations in skin that influence value.

4. Are there various types of ostrich like there are various types of croc?

Thank you.
The bumps are from the plucking of the feathers/follicals, and the smoothness depends on the leather processing. I love ostrich leather, it seems to hold up better and it can just be spotted from a mile a way. I dont mind it being really bumpy it seems more natural and organic that way. =)

This thead is so interesting. I found a vintage ostrich bag a couple of weeks ago and of course started thinking about it after reading this thread. So yesterday I bought it, lol! The womanI purchased it from said it was from the 1940-1950's. The ostrich is not as "bumpy" feeling as I thought it would be.

Hi,

In comparison to croc, lizard and python, ostrich doesn't mind a little rain - I wouldn't take it swimming though ;)

This thead is so interesting. I found a vintage ostrich bag a couple of weeks ago and of course started thinking about it after reading this thread. So yesterday I bought it, lol! The womanI purchased it from said it was from the 1940-1950's. The ostrich is not as "bumpy" feeling as I thought it would be.

Please show us. Would love to see a pic. Maybe some fashionable lady wore it to meet her guy coming home from the war. Who knows what that bag has seen.

The nice thing about a bag from that era is I would not be worried about it being embossed. Some more recent ones on ebay are of unknown parentage and are advertised as not knowing whether they are real.

Vintage Ostrich is great because you probably got a great price on it. Ostrich leather is so popular now that your bag doesnt even need to be a designer brand, if you have an Ostrich Leather bag it will automatically look expensive and designer to onlookers.

I'm a big Vintage Gucci collectors and they came out with an Ostrich Leather collection, sometimes you can find one on ebay for an amazing deal because people just dont know the value of what they sell. I've seen them even go for $50....it's really the new "it" type of leather to have, but it will never go out of style its been around forever.

Vintage Ostrich is great because you probably got a great price on it. Ostrich leather is so popular now that your bag doesnt even need to be a designer brand, if you have an Ostrich Leather bag it will automatically look expensive and designer to onlookers.

I'm a big Vintage Gucci collectors and they came out with an Ostrich Leather collection, sometimes you can find one on ebay for an amazing deal because people just dont know the value of what they sell. I've seen them even go for $50....it's really the new "it" type of leather to have, but it will never go out of style its been around forever.

You are motivating me to pull the trigger on a couple of bags I am watching on ebay. That is the danger of TPF. Enthusiasm is contagious and expensive.;)