Please can you help me with the mulberry leathers?

Poppy bagfan

aka Poppy Dogfan
O.G.
May 31, 2008
Hi Ladies

I am noew to this and am a bit bamboozled over the different types of leathers offered.

I am looking for a choc Somerset tote and just missed out on Ebay:cry: on a pebbled leather one

there are others around but with different leathers - namely tumbled grain and soft grain.

I love the leather on my Elgin and would rather not have the leather from the Jodys I have if poss (want a change.)

pleeeeeease could someone tell me what the differences are and which leathers are most like the Elgin one......

Huge thanks in anticipation...

:wondering

If you're after leather like your Elgin, look out for anything in Darwin. Very very sadly they no longer make bags in Darwin, so pre loved will be the only way to go. The 'new version' of Darwin is natural veg tanned, which is a bit lighter and slightly less structured imo. I prefer the Darwin as I think do a lot of the ladies here. It was sooo beautiful and hardwearing too. Nvt is gorgeous, but I wish they'd never stopped using Darwin!

If you look through some of the old threads on here, it will give you an idea of all the

leather types x

Darwin is my favourite leather also, IMP the mulberry leathers now are a lot

lighter and nothing like the old Darwin leather.

Many thanks indeed TB and Taz. it is a bit of a minefield esp when the same bag appears to have 3 different leathers! Or maybe I am just being too fussy???

The Darwin is gorgeous - i can see why most of us love it so much!

Maybe one day i will be as knowledgable as you all are.

Big thanks again!
BTW which would you think is the hardest wearing out of:
tumbled grain
soft grain
pebbled?

X

No Poppy, you're not being fussy - when you're spending so much on a bag you want it to be perfect. I'm no expert but once you've been bitten by the bug you do end up gaining an anoraky knowledge on leathers etc - dh thinks that dd and I are quite mad the way we go on about this leather and that and the merits of one over the other. She's only 12 but start 'em young I say! :biggrin:
I have a Somerset pouch in choc tumbled grain (as does dd, it was a 12th birthday gift and her last Mulberry til her 18th :biggrin: - I fell in love with it and had to have one too!). It's wonderful, so resilient and is ageing beautifully. It's only tiny but is softening a treat and developing a gorgeous patina. I was out with her recently and the heavens completely opened, she was literally soaked through. I was devastated, but blow me if she didn't dry out perfectly with no ill effects whatsoever - a tiny bit stiffer but one use and she regained her softness.
The tumbled grain is pre-treated isn't it? I still liberally Collonil her though. Highly recommended leather imo.

TB you are a real life saver!!! I thought the pebbled looked better but then bit the bullet and bought the choc Somerset tote in Tumbled grain from Mulberrymad after the kind SAs at SM told me that there was little differnce in wear. but I was wondering if I had done the right thing...i had sold some stuff on Ebay to finance this and missed out on a choc somerset tote last eve on Ebay....

what you have said here has cheered me up immensely! The tumbled grain sounds terrific esp after what you said about your wee somerset.

LOL re your dd - mine is 9 and just beginning to take an interest...a somerset pouch is a gorgeous gift for a young girl - how lovely! DH thinks I am mad but still came to watch the excitment of the Ebaying that was going on here last eve!

Off to buy more collonil tomorrow.

Huge thanks again :happydance:

I cant comment on the pebbled, but my somerset shoulder is also tumbled and it is very hardy. I dont baby it at all and it still looks good. It has been completely soaked in the rain and dried off without a mark on it.

Oh even better! ladies - my day is getting better and better. Jo - many thanks! Am soooo relieved to have bought the tumbled.....

Have battled with a lurking migraine all day but had to go out and buy stuff for and then bake cake with DD for DH's birthday that was last Thursday! She reminded me that we had not made him a cake....pointed out that he always gets cake and i never do but she said that was only cos i can cook and he can't.....hmmm... very loose definition of the word 'cook.'

I do feel a bit like the new girl on the block who needs to 'catch up' :lol: but once i take delivery of the Somerset, it will be to the sofa until birthday time in Nov.

I do adore the somerset tote tho - yours in your avatar Jo is tdf! it is a somerset tote??

Huge thanks to all who posted here regarding leather!
:salute:

Thanks Hula! I really appreciate your post here as I was worrying about which leather to choose (how daft?)
I adore the Somerset range - someone said they thought it a bit boring but i love its class! I think i prefer the more trad Mulberrys really - but as someone else said, never say never......You have a somerset tote in oak.....how divine! oak's def my next one. Do you use her a lot?

Oh i can't wait.....away for tough two days work on Tues and Weds so hopefully she will be here waiting for me on Weds night when i return......

then off to Paris next week....the dilemma will be which one to take.....! And how will i manage with only one?????

Oh even better! ladies - my day is getting better and better. Jo - many thanks! Am soooo relieved to have bought the tumbled.....

Have battled with a lurking migraine all day but had to go out and buy stuff for and then bake cake with DD for DH's birthday that was last Thursday! She reminded me that we had not made him a cake....pointed out that he always gets cake and i never do but she said that was only cos i can cook and he can't.....hmmm... very loose definition of the word 'cook.'

I do feel a bit like the new girl on the block who needs to 'catch up' :lol: but once i take delivery of the Somerset, it will be to the sofa until birthday time in Nov.

I do adore the somerset tote tho - yours in your avatar Jo is tdf! it is a somerset tote??

Huge thanks to all who posted here regarding leather!
:salute:

Yes my avatar is the plum somerset tote in Rio leather. It was a special purchase one from Shepton mallet last year! it's a great easy to wear style- I'm sure you'll love yours when it arrives!! I also have a chocolate tumble grain somerset shoulder bag!

My somerset shoulder bag is tumbled grain and i much prefer it to the pebbled.

I agree with you flyvetjo. I originally bought somerset shoulder bag in pebbled leather but returned it as i felt like the leather may scratch easily. I then bought somerset shoulder in tumbled grain as prefferred smoother grain and fell in love with stripey lining and am so pleased i did. I use the bag every day as a messenger mainly and its becoming softer and shinier. I definately dont baby it and it has not scratched yet!!! I love it!!!!:biggrin:

Thanks Hula! I really appreciate your post here as I was worrying about which leather to choose (how daft?)
I adore the Somerset range - someone said they thought it a bit boring but i love its class! I think i prefer the more trad Mulberrys really - but as someone else said, never say never......You have a somerset tote in oak.....how divine! oak's def my next one. Do you use her a lot?

Oh i can't wait.....away for tough two days work on Tues and Weds so hopefully she will be here waiting for me on Weds night when i return......

then off to Paris next week....the dilemma will be which one to take.....! And how will i manage with only one?????

I agree! I think the somerset's beauty is in its simplicity.

I use my oak one quite a lot - it is very light and easy to use; stays on the shoulder and is easy to get in and out of. Also not having to worry about it in the rain is a big bonus :tup:

Yippee!

I was feeling terribly guilty about buying another so soon after getting my Ebay Elgin last week but I am sure that my collection will suffice for a wee while now, once I have the somerset......(bet you've all heard/said that before?;))

Must go and look at your albums ladies....your collections sound divine.