Please can I ask a favour, and some advice...

I just got back from vacation and read your post, Kathleen. I'm so sorry to hear about your pup, Amy. I don't have any experience with this kind of problem, so I'm unable to give you any good advise. I will ask around though. I hope all goes well. Hang in there. *hugs* to you and Amy.

so sorry to hear about Amy. i wonder if the organization has heard of this happening to other Dachshunds before. i have a french bull dog and i know they have an org for his breed, so they must have one for Dachshunds too. i do hope the vets can find a way to operate on Amy that she can tolerate. lots of luck. keep us posted.

I'm so sorry about your little doggie. Its all about quality of life for the animal (I'm sure you know that). If there is anything that can be done to alleviate the pain, of course, try. But the problem with animals is that they don't always let you know they are in pain. Its a defense mechanism to avoid looking vulnerable. Its just hard wired into their brains. You and your vet know whats best. If its time to let her go, you know where you can come for support.
hug.gif

bagnshoofetish said:
I'm so sorry about your little doggie. Its all about quality of life for the animal (I'm sure you know that). If there is anything that can be done to alleviate the pain, of course, try. But the problem with animals is that they don't always let you know they are in pain. Its a defense mechanism to avoid looking vulnerable. Its just hard wired into their brains. You and your vet know whats best. If its time to let her go, you know where you can come for support.
View attachment 34740

bagnshoofetish is right:sad: .it's all about quality of life. we will be here for support.:heart:

Maybe the vet has or knows of a different anethesia to which your dog won't react so badly. Ask the vet, there's got to be more than one kind of anethesia available.
Good luck to your dog and I hope you're able to bear up under all this stress.
Kate

Lakritze said:
Hi Kath,

I’m sorry, but my English isn’t as good as I would like it to be ;). I’m so sorry this happend to your little Amy. I hope she will be fine soon.

My dog had hip displasia and bad arthritis (sp?) from the day I got him. He couldn’t jump on the couch and certain moves hurt him real bad. I browsed the internet a lot and read about acupuncture and gold acupuncture. Even though my dog is doing fine with devils claw, glucosamine and chondroitine I thought gold acupuncture is something to consider if it’s getting worse. You can find information in English on this site: http://www.vierbeiner-rehazentrum.de/english/Default.htm

You could talk with your vet about it. I just found a list with a directory of practitioners but I’m sure it not complete. I know there are a lot more in Germany and I think there should be more in the UK, too. http://www.danebytes.com/gold_bead_implants.htm

Gold bead implants will not work for every dog but if it doesn’t it will do no harm either. Very other treatment is still possible.

This was the first that came to my mind, but I will look for more possible treatments. I will let you know if I see something that could work for you.

I know how you feel not seeing Amy. My dog had a stroke last year and he was in the hospital for a week. We couldn’t visit him for the same reasons you can’t see Amy and it was so hard. He almonst died and when we could pick him up he was so week that there was only a small change he would recover fully.

I wish you all the best.

Tanja

Hey sweetie, your English is better than 95% of the residents of California. :heart:

I have a dachsund named Smush, he is the love of my life. He was given to me by a dear friend. She bred her female dog just to give me a baby since I couldn't have my own. I feel for you and your dear puppy. I will say a pray for her and for you. I would be crushed. They are the sweatest dogs that I have ever known and I would do anything to save mine. I am so sorry for your baby, kiss her for us. God Bless!