please advise -moral dilemma w/ a pet (LONG, sorry)

OMG - the owners of this poor dog are being totally irresponsible and do not deserve to keep ANY animals!:cursing:

I hope the outcome of this situation is happy...and i sincerely hope the animal rescue centre do as they say they will and follow through on your actions - in the UK it's known that animal shelters are so busy - they're understaffed, underpaid and overworked, they make promises they can't always keep.

Good luck - i think you and your mum are really amazing xx

OMG, I got upset just reading your post. Those bastards. How can they let a hurt dog just stay hurt? And for so long. That's animal cruelty.

Thank you for calling the ASPCA, hopefully they'll take the dog so that it can get proper treatment and a family that will really take care of it..

*** no new news, yet :sad: ***

ack! ladies, i'm getting desperate... we have not heard anything as of yet -my mom works tomorrow, so i guess we will find out then

i'm assuming that either, 1. ASPCA didn't show up as expected; 2. they took him and are evaluating him, and didn't call us yet OR worst case scenario; 3. they just left him there, and gave notice for owners to comply (which they probably WON'T)

ugh, i'm getting antsy just thinking about it -hopefully mom can find out what happened tomorrow, AND i will have a better update then

UNTIL then, THANKS again for all of your concern and support -i agree w/ you all... this dog needs to be OUT of there, and even if we cannot get custody of him, it's pretty much as if ANY home is better than his existing home. :/

^^^ O YES, one more tid-bit of 411 to make it more interesting...

a co-worker of my mom ended up finding out on friday after she left, that one of the reasons they will not surrender the dog is because there is a 5 year old boy in the house, who has essentially had this dog since he was very little i.e. they grew up together -and SUPPOSEDLY, he loves this dog, so the family won't give it up because of this fact

am i supposed to feel bad?? i mean, i do... i don't want him to be upset about it -he's only 5 years old, but let's face it... as much as he loves him, he's a 5 year old, and certainly cannot provide for the needs that are required of the pup in his injured state

----> do i just sound really cruel? there's a part of me that thinks i should have more empathy, but a part of me that is still mad at their whole family for letting this happen to this poor little chi, AND still not letting the pup live inside the house despite his injuries!!

WTF?! WHO LETS THEIR CHI LIVE OUTSIDE, UNLOCKED???!!! if you have a BIG dog, i can understand a little better, but a CHI??? and an injured one at that???

sorry ladies, i just get more uptight about this as the days pass -thanks for listening to my rant

You're not cruel at all. Too darn bad for the 5 year old. Those people are responsible for that dog...you do not get a dog and then refuse to take care of it, especially for something as simple as a vet visit for stiches and possibly a cast. I also don't think that kid would be too happy growing up to realize his parents are lowlifes and couldn't care for his beloved dog. There is just honestly something wrong with these people.
You are simply trying to save this dog from possible death. This is neglect. :sad: You are doing the right thing.

I'm really tempted to tell you to just steal it. I know that would get you into troubles, so I'm not suggesting it, but still, those people make me so mad :mad:
And the dog's welfare is more important that the kid has a "toy". This thread makes me so mad:mad::rant: Please call ASPCA again and ask them if they have done or are intending to do something :flowers:

No, don't feel badly. How terrible would you feel if this littl 5 yr old's dog died in front of him., These people are irresponsible human beings who do not deserve to have a dog. What they have done is animal cruelty. They should not be permitted to continue "caring" (or rather, not caring) for the dog. if they don't have the monetary ability to properly care for the dog or if they are just to self-absorbed to do so, the authorities should seize the dog, give it proper medical care, and then allow you to adopt it. I do pray that they have already picked the dog up and are giving it the proper medical attention it deserves. Good luck to you and the sweet puppy and please keep us updated! I, and I'm sure others here, would be happy to do anything possible on your behalf to help bring the authorities utmost attention to this matter. You and your mother are wonderful people. Thank you for taking such an interest in the well being of this dog. It's a shame the owners couldn't do the same, especially if they really do have a 5 yr. old that cares so much for this dog.

If the dog's injuries are as bad as you say they are, the animal control people won't just leave a 'please comply' notice and not take the dog. They'll take the dog.

And don't feel bad about the 5 year old boy. If the family loves this dog as much as they say they do, they would've taken the dog to the vet!

(Although, to ease your conscience a little, when you get possession of the dog, you can let the five year old boy see the dog every once in a while.)

No, you're not being cruel. What you're doing is helping an animal that cannot help itself. Imagine how much pain that poor little thing is in. Infections hurt. Cruel is not getting treatment for an animal that is sick and in pain. If you saw a child with open infections and a hurt leg wandering around would you even think twice about calling the cops?

I would call the ASPCA again, they may have given the owners a warning that if they don't take the dog to the vet by a certain date, they'll come back and seize it. Or at least that's what I see them do on Animal Cops.

Dang,Id pick up the dog and take it to my vet regardless of what the owners say>im sorry.I know it sounds bad to take an animal...but I wouldnt be able to stop myself.HELP this dog....Im so upset over this...it breaks my heart to pieces.I adore all dogs and couldnt stand to see one suffering when they shouldnt be..also.Call the police and make them aware of the situation too