Please advise- final sale item not as described

I agree, it is totally SNAD. But, if you love the bag, take it to a local leather shoe/luggage repair shop and they will give you an honest opinion about whether it can truly be fixed and at what cost. For ex, I recently purchased a botkier bianca bag that had been a sample and had a decent sized (maybe 1.5 inches) rip across the seam where the pocket met the bag, that extended through to the inside of the bag. The tear extended up the bag so I wasn't sure if it could be fixed. The loving my bags place (?) that came highly recommended wanted $$ to fix it - and so did Botkier. But, my local cobbler fixed it for $15 - good as new.

I know that with the Chanel, it is a little bit more difficult to repair and the leather is probably much nicer than the Botkier. But, if you love the bag, it is worth a shot to take it in and see if they can repair the damage.

I agree, it is totally SNAD. But, if you love the bag, take it to a local leather shoe/luggage repair shop and they will give you an honest opinion about whether it can truly be fixed and at what cost. For ex, I recently purchased a botkier bianca bag that had been a sample and had a decent sized (maybe 1.5 inches) rip across the seam where the pocket met the bag, that extended through to the inside of the bag. The tear extended up the bag so I wasn't sure if it could be fixed. The loving my bags place (?) that came highly recommended wanted $$ to fix it - and so did Botkier. But, my local cobbler fixed it for $15 - good as new.

I know that with the Chanel, it is a little bit more difficult to repair and the leather is probably much nicer than the Botkier. But, if you love the bag, it is worth a shot to take it in and see if they can repair the damage.

I was planning on bringing it to Chanel to fix the leather eventually, but they take months to do the work and to fix everything that's wrong with this bag it would cost between $220 and $280 (I can't remember the exact cost) for the "total refurb" which I'm only hoping would fix the tear. I'm scared to go because I think the snooty SA's would laugh at me for bringing in a bag that looks like it was run over! That would bring my total cost to $600+. I'm not sure where I could bring it for repair for a "nominal" fee, but everyone in the Chanel forum always warns against doing that.

I emailed the seller twice, once through ebay and once through their email in case they have a spam filter expressing my disappointment and asking if we could resolve this. I offered to pay shipping and mutually void the transaction so there were little to no costs to her. I have heard nothing. Since my husband bought this for me on his ebay account I'm scared to file a SNAD and get him bad feedback. Everyone's comments here really do help reinforce that I'm not crazy though. I definitely should have asked for more pictures, but it was a BIN and it looked otherwise fine in the pictures they gave.

So what do you think- file a SNAD and get ready to fight or just eat the cost of getting it repaired?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you file a SNAD with Paypal and you win the dispute, I don't think the seller can leave you a negative.

Of course, I could be totally wrong!

I would not thow good money after bad by attempting to have that amount of damage repaired. You have a good case. I would file the SNAD. It will have to be filed through your husband's account so he is vulnerable to receiving a neg. However, if the seller is uncooperative, she can be left a neg as well and it will be more damaging to her reputation than his.

Thanks sarahloveslouis I will do that. Here are some pics I took of the bag's actual condition so you and others can have a better idea of what I'm talking about and tell me if I'm over-reacting. I didn't picture all the wear, just the most significant stuff.

Wow, that is completely ridiculous. There is no way you could wear that until it is repaired (if it even can be). while it may be a problem that you did not ask for photos of the damage ahead of time, I would pursue a refund since obviously it was SNAD.
Good luck!

^ Thanks. I've never gone about a SNAD before. Do I send them pictures? Do I need to get a repair quote from Chanel? I have a 5 month old so getting to the store for a quote and to determine if they could completely fix it is quite an ordeal, but if I need that I'd try to go this weekend. Any tips on how to handle a SNAD or does paypal do the work?

attachment.php

OMG!:wtf::wtf:This is SIGNIFICANTLY not as described. I can't believe that the buyer would describe it as a dime sized piece of leather that is missing. Definately file a claim with ebay/paypal.
Good luck!

That is more than a dime size piece of leather because it is a complete hole. If it would only be a piece of leather it will still have the filing and the linning. Horrible also the seller didn't mentioned the ugly wear of the corners. GOOD LUCK!

Well, I filed a claim the other day and I've heard nothing. I have a feeling I won't hear anything until the 20th day, if ever! My husband said maybe I should just take it to Chanel and get it repaired (a several month long venture) so I can at least wear it. If I do that, I have to end my dispute, but otherwise I'm left indefinitely with a purse I can't wear. What a rude seller to not even answer my claim. Can I escalate it whenever I want if they don't contact me in a few days or do I HAVE to wait 20 days?

Well, I filed a claim the other day and I've heard nothing. I have a feeling I won't hear anything until the 20th day, if ever! My husband said maybe I should just take it to Chanel and get it repaired (a several month long venture) so I can at least wear it. If I do that, I have to end my dispute, but otherwise I'm left indefinitely with a purse I can't wear. What a rude seller to not even answer my claim. Can I escalate it whenever I want if they don't contact me in a few days or do I HAVE to wait 20 days?
You can escalate it now.:yes: Good luck.

They finally responded and said they still believe the description to be accurate. They told me to get the quote on getting the work done and they might split the cost with me...so I packed up my 5 month old and trucked over to Chanel where I was told it would take at least 8-10 weeks, they couldn't give me a firm price (probably around $250), and they couldn't tell me if everything could be repaired. So I went to a local repair shop where they told me they could fix the rip (who knows how nice it will look) but that the piping was iffy. The manager even told me he had seen his guy to some less than pretty piping repairs. He told me they could attempt to fix the bag for around $150 and it would take 1-2 weeks he guessed. I emailed her the info and she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

So...neither option is appealing to me. One leaves me without a purse indefinitely and costs almost as much as the purse, the other could give me disastrous results! Ahhhh...I just want to return it at this point. I really appreciate that the seller is communicating and trying to work with me, but this is turning into a big hassle. I just wanted a nice looking purse with a small missing piece of leather! Am I being unreasonable if I'm not thrilled with the whole 50/50 thing and still want to return it?

If it were me, I would demand that Chanel fix it. You will have to wait longer, but you really will be happy with the result. Plus, if she is splitting the cost with you, then you are only out "probably" (as they like to say) $125.

The fact that she is willing to split it is a good sign, it shows that she either recognizes that she is in the wrong with her description, or that she is just willing to go the extra step for a happy buyer.

Keep the bag! Even with another $125.00 tacked on, you got a smoking deal!!! (For a refurbed bag!)

Keep us posted as to what you decide. It sounds like she really wants to work this out.