Please advise- final sale item not as described

echo_23

O.G.
Oct 2, 2006
My husband bought me a Chanel flap on ebay that I wanted that was described to be in "fair condition" with this as the only mention of a flaw: "There is a small area on the left side of the bag attaching the base of the strap/chain to the handbag that is missing about a dime size of leather, as the chain caugh on something when I was wearing the bag not to long ago (it can be repaired by a good refurbisher for a nominal fee as I have had it looked at of course)."

The pictures didn't show this flaw and the rest of the bag looked to be in great condition from the pics so I assumed that was the flaw that made it be in "fair condition" and that the bag was still usable since she described it as so gorgreous and an amazing deal. I just got the bag and the "dime size piece of leather" that's missing is at the corner of the bag where the front and side join together, creating a rid in the structure of the bag, and it's not just the leather that's gone, but everything under it that gives the corner its shape and keeps the bag together, making the bag useless because the bag is ripping apart when stress is placed on the strap. In other words, it's not that a dime size piece of leather is gone, but that the bag is ripping apart- it's absolutely hideous! Brown cardboard looking stuff and threads are sticking out. All four corners are also worn through to the wire thing that shapes them, there are discolorations, the hardware is very faded, and the edges of the flap are also worn through. All in all, in my opinion this bag is in terrible condition. It's also at least 3 years older than she said (6 vs. 3 yrs old).

I really want to return the bag because I don't even know if Chanel can fix everything that's wrong with it but they said it was a final sale. Would I be a bad ebayer if I tried to return it and offered to cover shipping charges? If they said no, do I have any recourse or do I just have to accept the terrible bag I wound up with? Honestly, should I have expected the above flaws? :sad:Please help!:sad:

Here's the item description:

You are bidding on a beautiful classic Chanel handbag with a modern edge, with dustcloth and box. A limited number of this style was made by the Chanel fashion house, making this handbag a rare and beautiful addition to anyone's Chanel repetoire. This handbag was purchased by myself from Saks 3 years ago, and is considered in used condition. A wonderful opportunity for anyone who has always wanted to own an authentic, classic black Chanel caviar leather quilted handbag at a very affordable price!
I am an avid and discriminating collector of Chanel handbags and accessories, and only keep in my possession the finest styles of Chanel for every era. This beautiful caviar leather Chanel should grace your wardrobe and become a sense of the height of glamour and class in your fashion choices from day to day. Wear this bag with jeans and a tee or let it complement a pantsuit or more formal outfit.
I have been blessed to have found this bag as there were so few produced of this rendition of the classic style, and it is time for me to pass on it's beauty and grace to it's next recipient. Please note the bag measures 9 3/4" length x 2 1/4" width x 6 1/2" height making it the perfect size for a daytime into evening bag. The chain measures about 18" in length and is about 1/4" thick (standard for a Chanel classic one flap single stranded handbag). I am offering this piece which retailed for over $1400 for a very reasonable price as the condition of the bag is in fair condition. I am listing the bag at a very fair buy it now price of $350, which truly is a bargain! I cannot go lower as I must do justice to myself and this beautiful piece! I do recommend bringing the Chanel to a refurbisher who specializes in fine handbags to have the bag detailed. *There is a small area on the left side of the bag attaching the base of the strap/chain to the handbag that is missing about a dime size of leather, as the chain caugh on something when I was wearing the bag not to long ago (it can be repaired by a good refurbisher for a nominal fee as I have had it looked at of course).
This is a beautiful Chanel, and again I have just retired it from my wardrobe as I must move on and make room for more Chanels, and the like. Whomever wins this Chanel will enjoy it and cherish it as it truly is a conversation piece and a very lovely addition!
POLICY: THIS ITEM IS FINAL SALE, HOWEVER, I DO GUARANTEE 100% AUTHENTICITY OF THIS PIECE OR YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEED! (YOU ARE BIDDING IN FULL CONFIDENCE)

SHIPPING: I SHIP UPS Ground 4-5 business days, or UPS Express 3-4 business days INSURANCE REQUIRED (AND COMBINE SHIPPING WITH OTHER ITEMS at a discounted rate IF YOU WISH). PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR RATES BASED ON YOUR LOCATION!

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS. THESE ITEMS WILL NOT LAST LONG ON EBAY. HAPPY BIDDING :smile: THANK YOU FOR VIEWING THIS ITEM AND PLEASE SEE MY OTHER AUCTIONS!

bc74_1.JPG

That counts to me as SNAD. First I would send a polite but direct e-mail to your seller. If she doesn't respond or responds with a "WTF!?" and is rude, then I would open a dispute within PayPal to get something going!!!

The term "all sales are final" is misleading in this case because you didn't get what was described in the listing. KWIM? You didn't receive the bag that was described.

Thanks sarahloveslouis I will do that. Here are some pics I took of the bag's actual condition so you and others can have a better idea of what I'm talking about and tell me if I'm over-reacting. I didn't picture all the wear, just the most significant stuff.

Attachments

• Chanels 019.jpg
    Chanels 019.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Chanels 020.jpg
    Chanels 020.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Chanels 021.jpg
    Chanels 021.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Chanels 022.jpg
    Chanels 022.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 66
^It is actually dime size or smaller, so that was correct. It's the fact that the bag is not usable and that there's way more wear than described that bothers me. My husband who is normally "tough-luck, you should have read the description better" even told me to send it back because I couldn't wear it. If it was wearable, that might be one thing, but she didn't say it had to be fixed to be worn, just that I might want to have it fixed. I'm not even sure how Chanel would fix it. Maybe I'll post a pic on the Chanel thread and see if they know if it can be fixed. I know the piping can be fixed and the hardware can be replaced. If I do a full refurb for $280, it's still a decent deal, but he bought me the purse to wear now and with the belief that it didn't need all the work it needs. We wouldn't have bought it if it was correctly described and not deceptively photographed. Does that make sense or am I being unreasonable? I know $350 for a Chanel is cheap, but it's still expensive in terms of what else we could have spent the money on, and I can't even wear it!

Step one) Send a message (polite and direct) to your seller so PayPal contacting her isn't a slap in the face (even if she deserves it)

Try to see if maybe she'll compromise on something. Communication is key. If you are still angry, and she won't accept a return or is rude, then open a dispute. If things STILL can't be met to yours and her satisfaction, then you have a claim and you will need to gather all of your evidence supporting why you believe this item is SNAD.

"Wear" on an item is subjective. That is why ethical sellers go out of their way to show photos of "wear". If it is so minor it does not show up in a photo they say so. I would have taken a "dime size piece of leather" to mean that only the top layer had peeled off and this was not apparent in the photo. I think the description is misleading. I would ask for a return less shipping and if the seller refuses file an SNAD. Good luck.

Definetly be ready to file a paypal dispute. I had a similar case happen to me only a few days ago with a LV purse. File a SNAD dispute if the seller is not cooperative. Hopefully if you paid with your credit card through paypal you have another backup line. If paypal denies you, you can always file a claim through your credit card. Good luck with everything!

How dissappointing for you. I too, had a similar experience with a vernis wallet. Although, the auction stated final sale I e-mailed my dissapointment and how unhappy I was and she agreed to refund my money minus shipping expenses.

A good seller will usually work with you. If she dissagrees then you must file a claim as item not as described.
Good luck.

How disppointing.. I hope you can get your money back, as that is definately SNAD

However, did you request pictures to see the damage before hand??

Whenever i see items on sale and they say there's some damage to it, i always ask for close ups. If they don't get back to me by auction end, then i just leave it. It's just an extra bit of effort to email the seller to get a peace of mind.

GL