Plastic Surgery Payment Methods

Hello,
I am new to purseforum and this is actually my first after finding a lot of useful information from this place! I am a Canadian and looking to get some surgery done. I got consultations from DocFinder (which I am considering) and the estimation for my surgeries will range from $20-30k USD.

I have the actual funds to pay for the surgeries, however I have a $1000/day debit/ABM limit and a $1000-2000 CAD/day credit card limit only. I know they mentioned they take cash or credit card(s), both, or wire transfers ahead of time.

I am wondering as to what my best method of payment would be given my situation. Wire transferring the clinic/agency could be the ideal solution. However, is it safe? I'm assuming it could also wind up being sketchy if they change prices on me because I have pre-paid.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some input on my situation. Thank you!

I would say take both cash and cards. I have seen cards being rejected often, infact one girl had to call her mom and get the money wired via Western Union to pay for her surgeries. Also please don't pay any deposit before consulting in person with the clinic coz some clinics will give you a hard time getting the money back.

May I ask why you are using Docfinder? Using a middleman/agency increases the cost of your surgery coz they normally get a fee from you and the clinic. Also there is the possibility of them recommending sketchy clinics with a history of medical malpractice or botched surgeries.

I would say take both cash and cards. I have seen cards being rejected often, infact one girl had to call her mom and get the money wired via Western Union to pay for her surgeries. Also please don't pay any deposit before consulting in person with the clinic coz some clinics will give you a hard time getting the money back.

May I ask why you are using Docfinder? Using a middleman/agency increases the cost of your surgery coz they normally get a fee from you and the clinic. Also there is the possibility of them recommending sketchy clinics with a history of medical malpractice or botched surgeries.

I contacted docfinder because I am planning on travelling alone and did not know how to go about it at all. I had no idea what the best clinics are and how to plan the journey at all. As I am getting more info from these forums I am now considering going on my own even though the idea is very scary to me.

Thanks for your comment. Do you know which credit card(s) would be best? It is a large amount of money I need and I have no idea what to do to be honest. How much cash would you carry and would you withdrawl from an ABM? I want to pay with cash but I just dont know how to go about it, I have limits on my debit card even though I have the money in my account to pay for it.

I contacted docfinder because I am planning on travelling alone and did not know how to go about it at all. I had no idea what the best clinics are and how to plan the journey at all. As I am getting more info from these forums I am now considering going on my own even though the idea is very scary to me.

Thanks for your comment. Do you know which credit card(s) would be best? It is a large amount of money I need and I have no idea what to do to be honest. How much cash would you carry and would you withdrawl from an ABM? I want to pay with cash but I just dont know how to go about it, I have limits on my debit card even though I have the money in my account to pay for it.

Why does it seem like most people hear just comfortably get the cash from the bank or use their credit card without any issues? Do people from the US/ out of Canada not have such strict limits for withdrawal? If I were to get the cash I would probably have to go to the bank everyday for a mo

Why does it seem like most people hear just comfortably get the cash from the bank or use their credit card without any issues? Do people from the US/ out of Canada not have such strict limits for withdrawal? If I were to get the cash I would probably have to go to the bank everyday for a month to get the funds I need. Thanks

@highbutterfly

Jumping over from the other thread.....

Yes I went a total of 3x to KR and all by myself. While in KR I did meet up with some other members here from PF for a coffee or a meal :smile:. I'm also a big introvert so that's one aspect of it.

Last time I was in KR was ~4 years ago so if anything I say ends up outdated I apologize.

I would still take cash if possible depending on what you need to get done. Bring at most 9.5K in cash though, otherwise you'll have to declare your money when arriving. Technically not a problem if you don't mind the hassle of writing it on the form. If you don't declare your extra monies and they randomly search you (rare) you're gonna have a fun time explaining it and they have the right to take it away if you don't declare. I think I brought in 14k w/o declaring but I wouldn't recommend. It's just unnecessary stress. Also that was bad planning on my part. Didn't know about the 10k declaration upon arrival.

I gave them my money in USD and they seemed fine with it. They'll probably be able to find an exchanger with lower fees than you can unless you plan this ahead of time and have other tips.

As for credit cards, make sure to bring your no foreign fee card and if you want, get a card with 0% promo APR (helps ease the financial burden a bit if you need it. You can just pay the minimum fee for ~ 11 months. Only do this if you are financially responsible though. If you're credit score allows, get 2 new 0% APR cards with no fees, look for ones with bonus awards ;). You might even get some points or cashback. AGAIN, BE RESPONSIBLE AND HONEST WITH YOUR FINANCES. Also, I'm speaking as a US citizen, not sure if you are US or Canadian.
Edit: They Prefer Visa, AMEX is likely 90% no good lol

When putting a HUGE amount on a credit card, divide it up and take multiple cards if you can. Put $3k on one and $2k on another, etc. Always put a travel notice on your card and it will still be very likely you'll have to call the number on the back of your card if the transaction declines because it seems like a odd purchase. Its quick to resolve though via phone.

ATM withdrawals are not that bad. Check with your current Debit card and see what the limits are. Sometimes transaction fees directly off your debit is 3% which ends up being cheaper than what you get elsewhere. Withdrawing occasional ~$500 chunks is manageable (again, depending on your spending habits). At the airport, there are exchange kiosks but they have fees - convenient, if you don't mind. You can also walk into a KR bank and ask them (haven't tried this so not sure). If you pick out a good clinic that you want to do the surgery with, you can also ask if they can help you exchange some extra spending money.

Seeing as you are going with DocFinder, I'm sure they've answered these questions 100000000000000x so this is where their local knowledge and expertise may be far more valuable.

Edit: Again, my knowledge is based on US, may not apply if you're not.

--------------

If you don't mind me asking.. what are you inquiring about that they would quote you 30k? If you are doing A LOT, I doubt you can fit it all into one trip... Feel free to message me if you want to keep that private.

Last edited:
@highbutterfly

Jumping over from the other thread.....

Yes I went a total of 3x to KR and all by myself. While in KR I did meet up with some other members here from PF for a coffee or a meal :smile:. I'm also a big introvert so that's one aspect of it.

Last time I was in KR was ~4 years ago so if anything I say ends up outdated I apologize.

I would still take cash if possible depending on what you need to get done. Bring at most 9.5K in cash though, otherwise you'll have to declare your money when arriving. Technically not a problem if you don't mind the hassle of writing it on the form. If you don't declare your extra monies and they randomly search you (rare) you're gonna have a fun time explaining it and they have the right to take it away if you don't declare. I think I brought in 14k w/o declaring but I wouldn't recommend. It's just unnecessary stress. Also that was bad planning on my part. Didn't know about the 10k declaration upon arrival.

I gave them my money in USD and they seemed fine with it. They'll probably be able to find an exchanger with lower fees than you can unless you plan this ahead of time and have other tips.

As for credit cards, make sure to bring your no foreign fee card and if you want, get a card with 0% promo APR (helps ease the financial burden a bit if you need it. You can just pay the minimum fee for ~ 11 months. Only do this if you are financially responsible though. If you're credit score allows, get 2 new 0% APR cards with no fees, look for ones with bonus awards ;). You might even get some points or cashback. AGAIN, BE RESPONSIBLE AND HONEST WITH YOUR FINANCES. Also, I'm speaking as a US citizen, not sure if you are US or Canadian.
Edit: They Prefer Visa, AMEX is likely 90% no good lol

When putting a HUGE amount on a credit card, divide it up and take multiple cards if you can. Put $3k on one and $2k on another, etc. Always put a travel notice on your card and it will still be very likely you'll have to call the number on the back of your card if the transaction declines because it seems like a odd purchase. Its quick to resolve though via phone.

ATM withdrawals are not that bad. Check with your current Debit card and see what the limits are. Sometimes transaction fees directly off your debit is 3% which ends up being cheaper than what you get elsewhere. Withdrawing occasional ~$500 chunks is manageable (again, depending on your spending habits). At the airport, there are exchange kiosks but they have fees - convenient, if you don't mind. You can also walk into a KR bank and ask them (haven't tried this so not sure). If you pick out a good clinic that you want to do the surgery with, you can also ask if they can help you exchange some extra spending money.

Seeing as you are going with DocFinder, I'm sure they've answered these questions 100000000000000x so this is where their local knowledge and expertise may be far more valuable.

Edit: Again, my knowledge is based on US, may not apply if you're not.

--------------

If you don't mind me asking.. what are you inquiring about that they would quote you 30k? If you are doing A LOT, I doubt you can fit it all into one trip... Feel free to message me if you want to keep that private.

Thanks!!!! I got quotes for the most common hospitals like Banobagi, ID, JK etc. Nothing is set in stone and i am just in the early stages of planning but I was interested in V-line, rhino, stem sell fat graft, and possibly some fillers. I am find out more and more as I am researching. I really had clue about the prices or hospitals and have just been researching lately.

What did you mean by Amex is 90% not good? Like doesn't work???

Thank you sooooooooo much for your input!!!!!! So kind of you :smile:

@highbutterfly

No problem, happy to share the knowledge and the experience.

V-Line + Rhino + Fat Graft possible to do together but if this is your first time getting surgery, you're gonna be pretty uncomfortable. Nothing you can't take on but just discomfort. I dont think they'll let you do fillers and you really shouldn't do fillers + fat graft at the same time.

If you don't do all the surgeries at once, it's recommended to start on the outer part of your face then work inward. IE: Do v-line first then do nose because the aesthetic appeal of your nose depends on the balance of the rest of your face. Smaller overall face = smaller nose and it's easier for your doctor to determine the best size for you.

AMEX has a higher merchant fee % so many places don't like it. This applies further than just KR, even in your own country some places don't like AMEX. Make sure to get Visa, that will be your safest bet. Your own debit card will probably be Visa too so that's another card you can use.

@highbutterfly

No problem, happy to share the knowledge and the experience.

V-Line + Rhino + Fat Graft possible to do together but if this is your first time getting surgery, you're gonna be pretty uncomfortable. Nothing you can't take on but just discomfort. I dont think they'll let you do fillers and you really shouldn't do fillers + fat graft at the same time.

If you don't do all the surgeries at once, it's recommended to start on the outer part of your face then work inward. IE: Do v-line first then do nose because the aesthetic appeal of your nose depends on the balance of the rest of your face. Smaller overall face = smaller nose and it's easier for your doctor to determine the best size for you.

AMEX has a higher merchant fee % so many places don't like it. This applies further than just KR, even in your own country some places don't like AMEX. Make sure to get Visa, that will be your safest bet. Your own debit card will probably be Visa too so that's another card you can use.

I see, good to know! Thanks!

I agree with cherrykiss to declare the cash. You could take 20K in cash, and split the other 10K between the cards. Please also do your research on the clinics coz the ones you have mentioned have a bad rep and are very expensive. I would suggest maybe staying for 3-4 wks in Seoul and consult with as many clinics as possible before making a decision. Also if possible look for small clinics that specialize in the procedure you want to avoid shadow doctors. Shadow doctors are rampant in large clinics like ID.

When are you planning to go? I was waiting until the quarantine will be lifted but it seems like it wont happen anytime soon. So I decided to go next month or November! Whenever I decide on the clinic. Im also in contact with docfinder and I also contacted seoul guide medical but I didn't like how they replied and I reached out Mine and Wannabe, still not sure which clinic to choose

Reactions: hellovivi
Hello,
I am new to purseforum and this is actually my first after finding a lot of useful information from this place! I am a Canadian and looking to get some surgery done. I got consultations from DocFinder (which I am considering) and the estimation for my surgeries will range from $20-30k USD.

I have the actual funds to pay for the surgeries, however I have a $1000/day debit/ABM limit and a $1000-2000 CAD/day credit card limit only. I know they mentioned they take cash or credit card(s), both, or wire transfers ahead of time.

I am wondering as to what my best method of payment would be given my situation. Wire transferring the clinic/agency could be the ideal solution. However, is it safe? I'm assuming it could also wind up being sketchy if they change prices on me because I have pre-paid.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some input on my situation. Thank you!
Hello ,
In 2019 I went through a similar phase like you. It was my first time traveling to Korea alone and on top of that getting plastic surgeries. I used YouTube video and listen to the influencers who used docfinder as a guide. ( they promised so many great promotion deal. But then I realized that I would be paying 1k-2k more). So I backed out and went on my own. I ended up getting rhinoplasty, buccal fat removal, and ptosis correction at banobagi.

As for the money issue, I suggest you go in person for one-one consultation and then make the deposit. If you don’t feel safe bringing a lot of money, you can always ask your family member to wire transfer (but I also wanted mention that i didn’t receive any trouble getting my money refund

Last thing I would like to mentions, I also am planning to go to Korea between (January-March 2021) for facials countour. If you like we can be surgery buddy. Because I remember doing it alone suck. My / Instagram is iamtracyt