Plastic protector on hardware

alterego

Dont touch my bag
O.G.
Jun 29, 2009
I'm sorry I do not mean to offend anyone but I find it so tacky that persons keep the plastic protector on their hardware. Are they that concerned that it will scratch? I took my plastic off immediately. Maybe I threw caution to the wind but I want my bag to look as it's intended to look..not with the manufacturers plastic protectors. Again no offense I just think it looks..bad.

I am not offended. I did just like you and took it off right away. I by my bags to use, not baby. However, I feel to each his own, and some people really want to be careful not to scuff the hardware, especially if they think they may resell. Howver, I am still cautious and try to not scratch the hardware when possible....

Reactions: JLO1 and alterego
I agree I find it tacky and not good because of the mark that is removable with a q tip with alcohol on it and strong arm but it's removable but I'm with you and I don't like it at all.

Reactions: JLO1
(big sigh of relief) :sweatdrop: I didn't know it could affect the hardware..this is good to know. Thank you ladies! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way..and now others will learn it may not be the best thing to do. I have noticed some scratches on my hardware but hey..that's how it goes and I love it more for it's wear and tear.

Reactions: JLO1
I've heard the "it will affect the hardware" statement for years but purchased an older bag that had the plastic on to no ill affects -- so I think that it is a misstatement to say that the plastic will harm the hardware.
That being said, I am of the "do as you please" group. If someone feels more comfortable and will use their bag more confidently with the hardware covered than more power to them. I'm glad you use your bag and love every mark & impression Alterego. That is truly a person using the bag and not the other way around!

I've heard the "it will affect the hardware" statement for years but purchased an older bag that had the plastic on to no ill affects -- so I think that it is a misstatement to say that the plastic will harm the hardware.
That being said, I am of the "do as you please" group. If someone feels more comfortable and will use their bag more confidently with the hardware covered than more power to them. I'm glad you use your bag and love every mark & impression Alterego. That is truly a person using the bag and not the other way around!

the plastic does nothing to the hardware. this is a myth.

i was at the boutique speaking with my SA...

one of the girls that was at the boutique had the plastic on her bag, and my SA kindly went up to her and said, you should take it off.

She mentioned that a few days ago, when she helped take off the plastic on another client's bag, it left marks that can't be removed, but as birkel said, it probably can be removed with alcohol and q tip...

so i dont think its a myth.

If you live in the an hummed climate these plastic covers are mean !!!!

Reactions: Animetc
i was at the boutique speaking with my SA...

one of the girls that was at the boutique had the plastic on her bag, and my SA kindly went up to her and said, you should take it off.

She mentioned that a few days ago, when she helped take off the plastic on another client's bag, it left marks that can't be removed, but as birkel said, it probably can be removed with alcohol and q tip...

so i dont think its a myth.

most Hermes SA's dont know one leather from another --just for starters. the plastic does nothing to the plates. NOTHING. ( for what its worth --Hermes has had manufacturing issues with some of their metal hardware on and off over the years--particularly with PHW. this is unrelated to the plastic.)

Reactions: Banuuie and Animetc
that is true, many SAs dont know nearly as much as alot of our tpfers here...:biggrin:

i guess that's probably y the hardware turned out like that. Good to know, sometimes i buy my items but dont use it right away, but i would take off the plastic right away before storing it to "prevent" all this, but now i guess i dont have to anymore and will just take it off when i use it...:graucho:

most Hermes SA's dont know one leather from another --just for starters. the plastic does nothing to the plates. NOTHING. ( for what its worth --Hermes has had manufacturing issues with some of their metal hardware on and off over the years--particularly with PHW. this is unrelated to the plastic.)

Reactions: lulilu
that is true, many SAs dont know nearly as much as alot of our tpfers here...:biggrin:

i guess that's probably y the hardware turned out like that. Good to know, sometimes i buy my items but dont use it right away, but i would take off the plastic right away before storing it to "prevent" all this, but now i guess i dont have to anymore and will just take it off when i use it...:graucho:

they have had significant issues with PHW over the years the worst was around 2000 to 2002. even more current bags you will see a blackish cast almost like tarnish. its the alloys. birkel is right that discoloration was worse in humid climates. the plastic had nothing to do with it but i speculate that is the genesis of that warning. truly the plastic does nothing. even after long periods of time.--there is no correlation

Reactions: cjgirl80 and cc1028
From what I can tell, there's no glue holding the plastic to the hardware, so it's true that the plastic itself won't harm the metal. But it's presence will certainly hasten any tarnish or color change on the metal by trapping moisture. The tarnish marks on the turnlock of my preowned 10 year old Birkin coincided exactly with the edges of the plastic, so in my case, leaving the plastic on DID directly cause the marks. Now, it definitely isn't damaged, and I certainly don't think it's a life or death situation to remove the plastic, as some SAs would make it out to be. Tarnish is just cosmetic changes and possibly can be removed; scratches are not so easy to get rid of. What I hate seeing is plastic that is curled and partially peeling off the hardware (I've been guilty of letting that happen!) that's more unsightly than any scratches or tarnish, in my opinion.

Reactions: cjgirl80 and lulilu