Plastic on hardware

HaydenM

Feb 3, 2007
Do you usually remove the plastic off the hardware (toggle, straps) when you purchase your bag (Kelly/Birkin)? Or do you just leave it on til it's ready to fall off to protect the hardware from scratching? :confused1:

guccigal07

He is Risen
Jun 19, 2006
my SA saw I didn't remove mine and she made me take them off...if you don't the metal can't breath and will tarnish or ruin.

remember scratches can buff off...but that metal needs to breath!

Feb 17, 2007
I used to keep the plastic on...to protect the hardware. One of the restorers (right word?) from the spa was visiting the store...on a day I happened it. She say the plastic and told me to remove it. That it could damage the leather...from humidity tarnishing the metal. Now, they come off immediately!

Sus

O.G.
Sep 21, 2006
Never Never Land
I just received a bag from a reseller from 2000 and it had plastic on the h/w. Luckily once removed there was no damage! Was suprised it stayed on so long!!!

mrssparkles

Happy
Mar 25, 2006
I just received a bag from a reseller from 2000 and it had plastic on the h/w. Luckily once removed there was no damage! Was suprised it stayed on so long!!!
Sus, the reseller could have sent the bag to H to have the hardware replaced. Or sent the back for a spa, and the craftsman put the plastic film back on after polishing the hardware.

May 6, 2007
Sus, the reseller could have sent the bag to H to have the hardware replaced. Or sent the back for a spa, and the craftsman put the plastic film back on after polishing the hardware.

i leave the plastic on until it starts coming off. I have never heard the "breathing" thing.