Planning for my first Kelly! Will my choice match my bag requirements?

Chanieish

May 24, 2010
Skool of Meds
Hello Hermes TPFers!

I am thinking of getting my first Hermes Kelly. I love the lady-like structure, plus the added shoulder strap. I have a few specifications for my next bag and will post my choice of leather/size below. Please let me know if I had thought of a good option and recommendations are much appreciated!

1. Black or another super neutral color, but I really think black is most versatile.
2. Sturdy. I am more a fan of the rigid shape
3. Longevity. I'd like to somewhat resist wear/tear. It is replacing my Chanel Jumbo Black Caviar, which has been amazing, but it is time for a new look.
4. Size should be able to fit a long wallet, large sunglasses case, iPhone, keys and lipgloss at minimum
5. Fit for my body size. I would like a medium size bag. Like a Celine Micro Luggage. Or 226 Chanel. I am 5'5" and about 115 lbs.
6. Able to be sent to spa for touch ups.
7. I would like it now, so I'm going through reseller route.

So my choice is...

The Hermes Kelly 32 cm in black Ardennes leather!

I realize that this leather has been discontinued, but I have read great reviews about the grain and the sturdiness of the bag. I do not mind a heaver bag. Will this leather last a while? I don't baby my bags, but I don't toss them around either

I'm trying to find one in excellent-new condition in the $8-12k price range. Am I being reasonable?

Thank you for your feedback! :roflmfao:

jyyanks

Sep 15, 2013
Yes this leather will last - it's a sturdy, durable leather and you don't have to worry if you get caught in rain/snow.

$8-$12K is very reasonable as you will be looking at bags that are almost 10 years old. I've seen them for less. Sam at HauteGallery had one a couple of months ago that was around $6-$7K.

1. Black or another super neutral color, but I really think black is most versatile. Agree Black is versatile and the perfect color if you want to replace a Jumbo flap. I also like gold and red but black is a great neutral
2. Sturdy. I am more a fan of the rigid shape Ardennes fits the bill. It's a sturdy leather and is stiffer than clemence
3. Longevity. I'd like to somewhat resist wear/tear. It is replacing my Chanel Jumbo Black Caviar, which has been amazing, but it is time for a new look. Yes this is a very sturdy leather. If you do a search, there was thread where people posted pics of vintage Ardennes bags that looked brand new
4. Size should be able to fit a long wallet, large sunglasses case, iPhone, keys and lipgloss at minimum. A 32 and a 35 can fit those items.
5. Fit for my body size. I would like a medium size bag. Like a Celine Micro Luggage. Or 226 Chanel. I am 5'5" and about 115 lbs. A 32 is perfect. Are you thinking retourne or sellier?
6. Able to be sent to spa for touch ups. Yes all authentic bags can be sent to H for touch ups. Cost is approx $225 USD plus tax
7. I would like it now, so I'm going through reseller route. Make sure to have the bag authenticated

Best of Luck in your search!

Chanieish

May 24, 2010
Skool of Meds
Yes this leather will last - it's a sturdy, durable leather and you don't have to worry if you get caught in rain/snow.

$8-$12K is very reasonable as you will be looking at bags that are almost 10 years old. I've seen them for less. Sam at HauteGallery had one a couple of months ago that was around $6-$7K.

1. Black or another super neutral color, but I really think black is most versatile. Agree Black is versatile and the perfect color if you want to replace a Jumbo flap. I also like gold and red but black is a great neutral
2. Sturdy. I am more a fan of the rigid shape Ardennes fits the bill. It's a sturdy leather and is stiffer than clemence
3. Longevity. I'd like to somewhat resist wear/tear. It is replacing my Chanel Jumbo Black Caviar, which has been amazing, but it is time for a new look. Yes this is a very sturdy leather. If you do a search, there was thread where people posted pics of vintage Ardennes bags that looked brand new
4. Size should be able to fit a long wallet, large sunglasses case, iPhone, keys and lipgloss at minimum. A 32 and a 35 can fit those items.
5. Fit for my body size. I would like a medium size bag. Like a Celine Micro Luggage. Or 226 Chanel. I am 5'5" and about 115 lbs. A 32 is perfect. Are you thinking retourne or sellier?
6. Able to be sent to spa for touch ups. Yes all authentic bags can be sent to H for touch ups. Cost is approx $225 USD plus tax
7. I would like it now, so I'm going through reseller route. Make sure to have the bag authenticated

Best of Luck in your search!
Thank you so much for answering each question. I am getting the sellier for more structure. How is epsom sellier in terms of durability?

Macaroon13

Feb 11, 2013
Hong Kong
I agree with all the thoughts above, and that sellier would be a good choice. In addition, you can consider box calf. A black box calf kelly with GHW would be a very classic choice. I picked one up and the spa was able to completely refurbish it including replacement of handles and closures - black box calf, even though vintage, is very easy for spa-ing because they will always have supply of new material for any replacements you might want to do. If it's just touch ups then any bag/any color is fine, but it is very difficult to replace material on non-black bags because the new leather color looks different from aged leather.

All Hermes bags are durable, it's just that a sellier is more likely to retain its rigidity. The only downside is that because it's a stiffer, more structured bag the corners will have wear and tear over time. On the other hand, a retourne will end up being slouchier. So just depends on your priorities!

Chanieish

May 24, 2010
Skool of Meds
I agree with all the thoughts above, and that sellier would be a good choice. In addition, you can consider box calf. A black box calf kelly with GHW would be a very classic choice. I picked one up and the spa was able to completely refurbish it including replacement of handles and closures - black box calf, even though vintage, is very easy for spa-ing because they will always have supply of new material for any replacements you might want to do. If it's just touch ups then any bag/any color is fine, but it is very difficult to replace material on non-black bags because the new leather color looks different from aged leather.

All Hermes bags are durable, it's just that a sellier is more likely to retain its rigidity. The only downside is that because it's a stiffer, more structured bag the corners will have wear and tear over time. On the other hand, a retourne will end up being slouchier. So just depends on your priorities!
Thanks for the information on Box! Although they are gorgeous bags, I really like a little bit of grain in the texture and I am too worried about scratches and things. :sad:

Agree on the sellier! Love the sharp structured look! :love: I'll get a retourne for my second Kelly in a brighter color! :smile:

Chanieish

May 24, 2010
Skool of Meds
It sure is difficult to find an excellent pre-owned Ardennes Kelly 32. :sad:

I'm willing to pay up to 12k for one. Am I being unreasonable?

If this leather does not work out, any recommendations for other sturdy leathers similar to Ardennes? Epsom perhaps?

Thank you!

jyyanks

Sep 15, 2013
It sure is difficult to find an excellent pre-owned Ardennes Kelly 32. :sad:

I'm willing to pay up to 12k for one. Am I being unreasonable?

If this leather does not work out, any recommendations for other sturdy leathers similar to Ardennes? Epsom perhaps?

Thank you!
I think you just have to be patient. They do pop up but since the leather is discontinued, they don't pop up as often. $12K USD is over retail for a new one so I think that's too much to pay for a bag that is close to, if not over, 10 years old. If you're patient, one will pop up that fits your specs.

Chanieish

May 24, 2010
Skool of Meds
I think you just have to be patient. They do pop up but since the leather is discontinued, they don't pop up as often. $12K USD is over retail for a new one so I think that's too much to pay for a bag that is close to, if not over, 10 years old. If you're patient, one will pop up that fits your specs.
That's true. I hope to find one in a month or so. :smile:

There is an excellent condition Birkin Ardennes 35cm which I love as well! I always thought the Kelly was for me and now I'm second guessing! It's a good problem to have. :smile: