Pixie Cut

pradapuff

Nov 26, 2010
So, who is going to take the plunge and cut off all their hair and try a new pixie cut?
I am seriously thinking about it to give my hair a new life. I recently colored it at home... and the ends are beyond overprocessed. I'm just concerned that it will not work well because I have VERY thick hair that can get curly if I don't use the right products.
Any hair stylists or anyone that has tried this style have any thoughts?

I have extremely thick hair that tends to be wavy and somewhat curly, and I've worn a pixie cut several times over the past few years. Just wash, tousle with some pomade or wax, and go. I loved it!

A pixie doesn't have to be stick-straight. Do a google image search for Audrey Tautou, she's a French actress and frequently wears her naturally wavy/curly hair in a pixie cut, and it looks so cute!

I have very fine, thin hair and I recently went for a pixie cut. I personally love it, but be aware it does for some reason seem to invite comments (whether solicited or not!). I found it incredibly liberating to chop off all my hair (it was about an inch past my shoulders). I also think it is very feminine as it brings the focus to your face, instead of allowing you to hide behind a blanket of hair.

I don't have any experience with thick hair, but Carey Mulligan had a pixie for awhile. I think she has naturally wavy hair (don't know if it is thick or not) and I think it looked fantastic on her, it has more body and wave than my flat, straight hair will ever have.

I personally prefer long hair on women (i think it looks more feminine) however there ARE some women who can successfully carry off a pixie cut. Halle berry comes to mind, so does Alyssa milano, Rihanna, Pink, Frankie sandford....
All you can do is talk to your stylist and see what they recommend based upon your hair type, face shape and bone structure. Let us know what you decide :biggrin:

I have a variation of a pixie - I need some cheekbone framing layers so I did an angled pixie (very short in the back, longer in the front). I have wavy thick hair, some days I straighten, other days I go wavy.

last year I decided to cut my long hair (lower back length) into a pixie. I always have had medium thick and really curly hair so most of the time my hair was natural. It felt superrr liberating to cut it off and it was sooo easy to manage. This year I decided to let it grow right now its around, upper back past my shoulders and I love it. Its not as curly as it used to be, its more waves now,but Im sure with the right products I can fix that. I love being able to change up your look.

I think that a little bend (curl) in the hair is actually great for the pixie. If your hair is stick straight it can wind up looking like it sticks out all over the place. I've tried the pixie several times over the years and my hair is just too straight to work it.

I'm a hairdresser and short cuts for women are one of my favorites!

I personally prefer long hair on women (i think it looks more feminine) however there ARE some women who can successfully carry off a pixie cut. Halle berry comes to mind, so does Alyssa milano, Rihanna, Pink, Frankie sandford....
All you can do is talk to your stylist and see what they recommend based upon your hair type, face shape and bone structure. Let us know what you decide :biggrin:

Not every woman can grow their hair long no matter how many years of trying, me included. Blame it on the texture which is baby fine, thin, you name it. I believe a woman can look and feel feminine regardless of how long or short her hair is and not just celebrities. Hair is just an accessory, it's the total package that really matters.

Not every woman can grow their hair long no matter how many years of trying, me included. Blame it on the texture which is baby fine, thin, you name it. I believe a woman can look and feel feminine regardless of how long or short her hair is and not just celebrities. Hair is just an accessory, it's the total package that really matters.

I have no doubt about it, it is just MY personal preference on women to wear their hair long, that is not to say that ladies with shorter hair cannot rock it (because they can) but it is just down to personal taste.
I used some celebrities as examples as i wasn't about to use real life peoples names and others be like "who now?" KWIM? ;)

On the other hand some women would look like men if it wasn´t for their long hair. So I think it depends of your face/bone structure + demeanour

OP !! Pictures please !!!!!!!!

I agree, I personally don't care for the pixie cut at all. It works on Halle Berry, but she's so darn sexy that it really doesn't matter what she does with her hair...

Personally I think it depends on the woman. I think hair is often a distraction to one's face, and if you have a flawless face you can get away with very short hair/a pixie cut.