PITA Buyer

hannahbananab

Jul 1, 2007
Sorry for the rant... but I have to complain. I sold an MJ bag - BIN on 11/14. I specify that I will ship within 2 business days. It sold on a Sunday, so I needed to ship it by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. I use my work shipping department to ship - they are very reliable and have never let me down.

I travel about 80% of the time for work and had to leave the country on business. I posted to the buyer that the bag had shipped and that I was out of the country but would provide her the delivery confirmation number when I returned.

My listing states STANDARD SHIPPING - which means parcel post in most cases. If the costs is very close (within a few dollars), my shipping folks will send it by priority. I am still out of the country and it is a US holiday. I have received three emails from the buyer saying why on earth would I ship parcel post when standard shipping for most people is priority and that she feels she is "getting played" because I "failed" to give her the shipping information. WTH?? Seriously?? I put her on my blocked bidder list - too much of a pain in the ass to deal with every again.

I'm almost certain I am going to get a negative from this person even though I feel I have done everything right. Even today, it has only been 7 business days since the transaction took place and parcel post can take up to 21 days. With the size of the package and the insurance, I still came out of pocket for shipping. I just don't understand why some people have to be so difficult.

It definitely sounds like your buyer is being a PITA with all of the e-mails - and parcel doesn't usually take much more time than Priority - but if I read Standard Shipping I would probably assume that it meant Priority or Ground if going through UPS. Have you given the buyer the tracking info yet? I have to say that as a buyer, I would also be a little worried if the seller told me they were out of the country and would let me know the info when they got back.

Standard means parcel post or first class, not priority, which is upgraded service. I'm sure some will tell you that you are wrong, but I fail to understand why a buyer is such a pita like this. Does she call j crew every day until her package arrives? Wait until she complains about the cost wanting a partial refund bc it was too slow! I'm shocked anyone sells on eBay anymore!

Under eBay's shipping options, Parcel Post is economy; Standard would refer to First Class for lightweight items, but that only goes up to 13oz. It's true that Priority is under expedited, but I don't think I would assume that a seller would downgrade shipping. IDK - it might depend on how much the buyer was charged for shipping.

picture2gh.png

PITA, indeed. Buyer wants instant gratification.
Standard shipping within the U.S. is parcel post for items over 13 oz or first class for items under 13 oz.
I recently shipped a parcel from the U.S. to the U.K. by first class mail that arrived in eleven days.

I have to somewhat side with the buyer, its not her fault your out of the country, you sold something to her and she asked for tracking info. I think its reasonable to get her that information within a 24 hour period. You didnt state how much you charged for shipping or how much the item was, but I would expect priority shipping unless the auction clearly stated parcel post. I have received packages parcel post and they look like they have been through war, they are so beaten up and dirty. JMO

if i saw standard shipping i would assume first class or similar. i dont think its required to send the buyer tracking? while its a nice thing to do i dont think you have to give it to them unless youre giving it to paypal in a dispute.

I have to somewhat side with the buyer, its not her fault your out of the country, you sold something to her and she asked for tracking info. I think its reasonable to get her that information within a 24 hour period. You didn't state how much you charged for shipping or how much the item was, but I would expect priority shipping unless the auction clearly stated parcel post. I have received packages parcel post and they look like they have been through war, they are so beaten up and dirty. JMO

I would have wanted tracking too, and probably would have asked for it if it was not sent. Hearing the seller was out of the country and would send it upon return would probably make me nervous as well.

The Parcel Post thing, when I see standard I think parcel post, but then I work at the PO and that's what we call parcel post packages, slower catalog mail, advertising etc. Though as a seller I would never use Parcel Post because it can take forever and chances are the buyer is going to blame you for that. The longer a package has to bump around in the mail system the more likely it is to become damaged. Also, at the PO we are held to a higher standard of scanning priority and first class packages.

Save yourself a headache and ship priority mail, even though it's more expensive it's worth it in the long run.

Linda

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree that you "have done everything right." You should have specified what type of shipping you planned to use.

I wouldn't have assumed that "standard" means parcel post. As a matter of fact, I would have guessed it means Priority kuz that seems to be the most commonly used method (as far as I've seen) to send designer bags in the via the USPS.

However, had I been the buyer, I would have asked the seller what she meant by "standard" rather than assume one way or the other.

Just want to chime in here and add that I'd assume 'standard post' to be priority as well, simply because everyone that I've purchased from on eBay that has stated 'standard' post has shipped via priority. I definitely wouldn't expect parcel post - that seems like a downgrade to me. Do you even get insurance/tracking with parcel post?

Delivery or Signature Confirmation and insurance can be added to Parcel Post packages.
I give buyers the option of Parcel/First or Priority/Priority Flat rate otherwise they complain about the high shipping costs of Priority versus the costs of Parcel/First.
The other option is to inflate the start price and offer free shipping of the seller's choice.

Delivery or Signature Confirmation and insurance can be added to Parcel Post packages.
I give buyers the option of Parcel/First or Priority/Priority Flat rate otherwise they complain about the high shipping costs of Priority versus the costs of Parcel/First.
The other option is to inflate the start price and offer free shipping of the seller's choice.

What do you mean by parcel/first? Parcel Post and First Class are two very different services. Anything first class over a pound will automatically bump to priority, so it would have to be a very light package to go first class.

When I sell I ship priority and charge anywhere from $12-$16, if it goes over I just pay the difference.

Linda