Pistachio city before and after cleaning- is is normal?

courty

Apr 1, 2007
hoping someone here can calm my worries about my bag! i bought this pistachio city on ebay in somewhat bad condition- it had worn corners, a large pen mark near the zipper.... and then i made it worse by getting 2 drops of tea on the front.

the damage didn't bug me that much because the color was fine and the leather was super duper soft, but i sent it off to LMB for a general cleaning.

i got it back and was astounded that it looks BRAND NEW now. i'm really happy about that- the pen marks are even gone! my SO, who does not pay attention to these things, was really impressed.

HOWEVER, i'm stressing a little because the bag feels very different now-it isn't as soft. i think it looks a lot more veiny and shiny. and it almost has a waxy feel. before it was by far my softest bag (it's chevre leather), but now it's not even as soft as my agneau leather bag.

anyone know if this is normal? will it go away over time as i break it in again? i put on a little lubriderm to try to soften it up but can't tell if it's making much difference, and i'm not even sure if i should do that if it's had some kind of protective coating put on it by LMB. i'm not sure what to do and it's starting to stress me out. i miss the softness and smoothness the bag had before, even though i'm glad it's so clean.

some photos before:
3607703562_44721512fe.jpg

3607703566_d589c1a0df.jpg

some photos after (not sure if you can really tell a difference but i'll post anyway!)
3823306325_3574f2345c.jpg

3823306193_b58f032d40.jpg

3823306093_3bf86fd3a4.jpg

i guess in appearance, the bag looks good both before and after now that i see the photos. i guess it's more the texture and lack of softness that's bugging me now. and hte shininess.

sorry i cant help u about this ..

but i really want to say this .. that u have a really nice bag .. it was good before and its fantastic know ,, don't regret anything it much better and it look brand new ^^ =D

Wow, she's simply FAB...Rest assured, according to my experience with many LMB Spa alums, 'she' not only has a second life to look forward to, YOU have a whole new break-in period. Trust me, she will be soft again!

Judging from the pictures, I think the "before" color seems more even than the "after" color. I'm not sure if it's just an effect from the room's lighting or if the cleaning reagent caused the color change. Also, Lubriderm is one of the items LMB do not recommend using on BBags written on her website's forum. I am guessing she has put on a protective layer on your bag and it will soften up upon usage just like when you break in a brand new bag.

^^thanks for the responses, i feel better!

the bag definitely wasn't re-dyed. i made sure to tell Barbara i didn't want that, and she said there was no need. the lighting was just very different in the 2 photos. if anything the color after is more vibrant and even- i just didn't have good light today!

i am glad to hear i will just have another break-in period! since i go the tea stain on the bag, i asked Barbara to do what she could to make sure if i had another accidental spill it wouldn't sink in so badly, so i'd guess she did put on a protective coat.

Just to update- I emailed Barbara about the issue and just got this response:

That would be the conditioner we used - Gary sometimes goes crazy on the conditioning - all you have to do is clean with Luxury cleanser of buff the leather with a soft cloth.
That should do it ...if now let me know.
:smile:
Barbara

so... that's a little annoying that after paying LMB to restore my bag, they now want me to buy 2 of their products to clean off something they put on it.

should i just go ahead and order? I wonder if i could just get some Apple cleaner and conditioner- at least those are cheaper/easier to find around here.

I say just buff with cloth and use the bag. Any topical treatment will wear off after use. It's just a conditioner afterall which shouldn't be harmful to the bag. =)