Pilot Carly?

gypsumrose

Bella Enchanted
O.G.
Oct 4, 2007
I went to the Tuscola, IL Tanger Outlet tonight because I heard there might have been a sale. I didn't really notice anything special but I hadn't been to the outlet in a while to know what was normal.

I made two amazing finds, but I need your help to determine how special one of the finds is.

First off, there was a mahogany Hamptons Carryall (the new one.. the one that's been on my wishlist for a while) on final sale (but not stamped!) and reduced 40% because it was missing the charm. I actually don't like the charm anyway and would have taken it off so I spent a grand total of $197 on it, pre-tax. All the SAs kept reminding me "it's still on the site". I knew. And I love it!

My second purchase is the one I need help with though.

I love medium leather Carly. It's the ultimate bag for me and I particularly like the Black/Nickel and the Parchment/Mahogany combinations. I've always looked for the latter at the outlet but never seen it. They have lots of camel, chili, tan, and other colors (including once parchment/tan), but not parchment/mahogany.

Today I found it! Parchment/mahogany Carly was tucked behind another tan Carly. I was elated! Upon closer inspection I noticed it was a pilot bag (number 10615P). I don't remember ever seeing a pilot Carly and searched the forum & ebay. Nothing.

Can anyone tell me how rare this actually is? Why would they pilot this bag? Because of the color combination? The leather is regular leather but I think the mahogany is patent. Is this the usual leather combination for this color?

Thanks for any and all insight! You ladies are my gurus!

I lurked/joined TPF right when Carly was first coming out, and I am fairly certain I remember some people talking about getting pilots before the actual release. Pilots are produced in limited quantities, so you do have a rare bag, esp. if the trim is patent, as I don't think a patent trim carly was released until recently with the turquoise and geranium.

Post some pics so we can drool over your finds! Congrats!

I looked at it more closely (and took pics) and noticed the creed says it was made in 06 which is not what I was expecting halfway through 08.

I know Coach had this color combination twice (maybe more), but I thought both of those were leather/leather. What Carlys were leather/patent? All I can think of is signature/patent.

Here are pictures for inquiring minds:

2810401879_78aaf6e2de.jpg

Looks patent-y:

2810402709_d09fd33ac7.jpg

Creed:

2810404403_09cfeec63f.jpg

I did notice that the stitching on the handle is mediocre. One stitch is frayed, another is out of line, etc. but one overlooks these things when they see "P". If it were with others (and not pilot) I would have handpicked another.

Hmmm....are you sure that it is patent gypsumrose? It looks like leather to me although that may be the photo quality. If it is patent, I do know that leather/patent has not been produced so you would have an extremely rare bag.

I'm not sure. :sad: I'm having a hard time with this one. I'm having a hard time convincing myself because I remember the bottom leather trim on my chili carly being really smooth and almost patenty, but the top handle strap was not. However, the top strap of this one is really shiny and crinkly-looking.

2811281124_f8d97030f3.jpg

I'm confused. :sad: Is it possible that it's regular leather that became shiny from sitting around too long?

Weather the mahogany is patent or not, I think you have yourself a very special bag. She will hold up beautifully in spite of the couple stitching errors you mentioned (which I'm sure aren't noticeable anyway) and you said you have been looking for her for a very long time. Since Carly was a completely new style as of a bit less than two years ago, it's probable that there were pilot bags before the initial official release early spring '07. Since the parchment and mahogany was one of the first combinations released it makes sense that there would also be a pilot bag in that combo.

Weather the mahogany is patent or not, I think you have yourself a very special bag. She will hold up beautifully in spite of the couple stitching errors you mentioned (which I'm sure aren't noticeable anyway) and you said you have been looking for her for a very long time. Since Carly was a completely new style as of a bit less than two years ago, it's probable that there were pilot bags before the initial official release early spring '07. Since the parchment and mahogany was one of the first combinations released it makes sense that there would also be a pilot bag in that combo.

What a nice post. I didn't know that parchment/mahogany was one of the first ones. At that time I was signature-minded. Thanks for the details on Carly.

I'm not concerned about the stitching and I'm pretty sure that I'll NEVER send this one in for repair. :smile: Carly is the bag made for me so to find it in this gorgeous color combination and then pilot on top of that? It's like my birthday came early! (sorry.. bad joke.. my birthday is tomorrow)

:biggrin:

wow leather?? for $197 i would have snatched that up in a hearbeat. i tihnk handsdown you got the best outlet buys EVER a pilot bag and a hamtons leather caryall. you go girl! and im sure if you wanted that charm just to have it you could probably call coach and get one.