Pillowcase attacks florentine

aerinha

Feb 26, 2012
I put my black flo Sloane in a white pillowcase because she came without s dust bag. Took her out to use today and the entire front was covered in a white haze! No pics because I freaked and broke out the Lexie wipes but here is a spot I missed
B20CE585-5A76-41BF-BEC9-DFE2585CE8B7.jpeg

No clue what a pillowcase could do to make this happen but it covered the whole front panel. The wipes seem to have solved it for now. I had another flo in the other case that I took out and it is ok
8CAA7125-28B7-482D-9640-81FF23EB6214.jpeg

Anyone else have this ever happen?

Sheesh....and here I was storing them all in white pillow cases because the blue Dooney dust bags transfer onto light colored bags. I'm glad wipes fixed the problem. Maybe this is why people have said to be sure the pillow cases have been washed first? Not sure if yours were washed or not.

Sheesh....and here I was storing them all in white pillow cases because the blue Dooney dust bags transfer onto light colored bags. I'm glad wipes fixed the problem. Maybe this is why people have said to be sure the pillow cases have been washed first? Not sure if yours were washed or not.

They were not washed first and my mom picked them up on clearance for me so maybe the combo of unwashed and cheap caused it? I have used unwashed ones before no problem and it only did it to the front, which makes it weirder. My heart stopped when I saw it. I mean the bag was a bargain buy under $100 but I never carried it so it was upsetting to think I would never even get to use it because it looked so awful.

They were not washed first and my mom picked them up on clearance for me so maybe the combo of unwashed and cheap caused it? I have used unwashed ones before no problem and it only did it to the front, which makes it weirder. My heart stopped when I saw it. I mean the bag was a bargain buy under $100 but I never carried it so it was upsetting to think I would never even get to use it because it looked so awful.
also hear they should be 100% cotton - sometimes the cheap ones are not, so that's the second thing.

I've never had the problem and I store a large number of handbags in pillow cases. I always wash the pillow case first to remove chemicals and sizing from the fabric. When possible, I like 100% cotton pillow cases to store my handbags, but I have used 50/50 cotton/poly. I don't think it breathes the way all cotton does. But then, I'm not sure what the dust bags that come with the handbags are made of either..... they don't feel like cotton. I try to match the color of the pillow case or dust bag to the color of the handbag for easier access in the closet and also to minimize color transfer worries.

I'm glad you were able to 'fix' your problem.

I've never had the problem and I store a large number of handbags in pillow cases. I always wash the pillow case first to remove chemicals and sizing from the fabric. When possible, I like 100% cotton pillow cases to store my handbags, but I have used 50/50 cotton/poly. I don't think it breathes the way all cotton does. But then, I'm not sure what the dust bags that come with the handbags are made of either..... they don't feel like cotton. I try to match the color of the pillow case or dust bag to the color of the handbag for easier access in the closet and also to minimize color transfer worries.

I'm glad you were able to 'fix' your problem.

Thankfully the bag in the other cheap pillowcase was fine. It is so bizarre.

Day after report with the sun not cooperating for decent pics. While the front looks much better than when this all started, it is not as gorgeously black as it had been. It is also now really soft on the front, making it flop. The zipper is already irritating my arm so probably not a keeper anyway, but still disappointing its looks were marred.

Day after report with the sun not cooperating for decent pics. While the front looks much better than when this all started, it is not as gorgeously black as it had been. It is also now really soft on the front, making it flop. The zipper is already irritating my arm so probably not a keeper anyway, but still disappointing its looks were marred.
What a shame this happened.

So sorry to hear this had happened. I have had no problems with using pillowcases. In general, I buy 100 percent cotton. Perhaps the pillow cases were microfiber?
I am so paranoid that I don't think I would use wipes. Do you have a vaccuum with a crevice tool? (The kind you use to clean computers?) Have you consulted with other forums? There's some people who have amazing ability with rehabs. They might know.

Check out Handbag Care & Maintenance. Good luck!

So sorry to hear this had happened. I have had no problems with using pillowcases. In general, I buy 100 percent cotton. Perhaps the pillow cases were microfiber?
I am so paranoid that I don't think I would use wipes. Do you have a vaccuum with a crevice tool? (The kind you use to clean computers?) Have you consulted with other forums? There's some people who have amazing ability with rehabs. They might know.

Check out Handbag Care & Maintenance. Good luck!
A vaccuum wouldn’t have removed it, not even scratching it with my fingernail did anything. This was a cleanser scenario.

I have a lead on the reason for the white haze on the front panel: spue. Apparently if a leather skin isn’t tanned properly the fatty acids in it will start to leech out after a time. Clean it off and it comes back. Explains why the rest of the bag was safe from the “pillowcases attack” while the front was messed up, the front was probably part of a different dye lot. And why the whiteness is returning more each day.

According to the posts I read, there are things you can use to stablize the fats and prevent a return, but there is no telling what it will do on florentine leather. Rather than buy something to try and invest more money in a bag I think I want rid of, I will use it until it looks too bad or I get too scared it will stain my clothing and either Goodwill it or attempty my first trade-in.

Is it possible this is not because of the pillowcase - maybe some fluid got on it or something - even while in the case? Or the bag is defective? Who knows.