Pierre Hardy to Design Shoes for the Gap

Kamilla850

O.G.
Mar 3, 2007
One of my favorite shoe designers, Pierre Hardy, who has his own line but also designs the footwear lines for Balenciaga and Hermes, will now be designing the footwear collection for the Gap. The bad news is that this new line will initially only be availbale in the UK and Europe, not sure when it will make its way to the US.

I am very excited about this because Pierre Hardy creates amazing shoes, especially wedges which is one of his signature styles. His designs are so innovative and interesting, it is a shame that they are not more widely available. But I am sure that this new partnership with the Gap will bring his private collection line more recognition which will be great. I can't wait! I really think that Pierre Hardy will one day have the same status as Manolo or Christian.

Here is the article I read:
Gap is to launch a footwear collection by fashion forward shoe designer Pierre Hardy, in gutsy example of the giant retailer linking with inventive talent.

The new collection, to be named Gap by Pierre Hardy, will include men’s and women’s footwear. A opening mini collection of Hardy’s first ideas for Gap will hit retail shelves in England and Europe at the end of this year. The full collection – with new models - is planned to be available by spring 2008.

“At a time when we are launching in our boutiques the very first Gap collections designed by our European studio, we are very happy to have the opportunity to collaborate with a world-famous talent like Pierre Hardy, and to offer to our customers his aesthetic vision of Casual Gap,” said Stephen Sunnucks, President of Gap Europe.

Gap has previously collaborated with hipster designers like Roland Mouret, who created some rather swish looks for the retail chain. Gap also used Hardy in its European ad campaign shot by Mikael Jansson, who focused on iconic Gap products worn also by Amanda Harlech, Chanel Iman and Coco Rocha.

Hardy is one of the most acclaimed shoe designer’s in the world, who first grabbed attention back in 1988 by creating footwear for Christian Dior. He is also a noted artist, as well as being a skilled editorialist, creating the accessories pages for Vogue Homme International, men’s fashion’s best magazine of the Nineties.

Hardy has also design men's and women's shoes for Hermes and was the Art Director of Sequoia. He launched his own label in 1999, adding men’s shoes two years later, and opened his first Pierre Hardy store in Paris in 2003.

Latterly, Hardy has been the creative director for Hermes Jewelry and responsible for Balenciaga’s shoe collection.

So his deal with Gap should be authentic Mass with Class.

I love his metallic striped wedge from a couple of seasons ago. Can't wait to see what he comes up with, and I really really hope he stays true to the designs and quality that we've come to appreciate from his shoes.

^^I agree, his designs, especially his wedges have been very unique so far.

My favorite shoe Pierre Hardy shoe is the metallic silver x-mas ball wedge. Although I can honestly say that I really have not cared for any of the Balenciaga styles recently. The only Balenciaga shoe I really loved was the black suede with diamond ankle strap, I remember Mariah Carey wore it in one of her videos, that shoe was so hot.

I have seen a few styles that are going to be available at the Gap as of next week, they are mainly flats and the price range is $70-$140 Euros.

Ohhh, the silver XMas ball wedge. Those were GORGEOUS. I tried them on and wanted sooooo badly to take them home. But even after sizing up a full size, the shoes were still way too narrow. :sad: From a seasoned CL narrow shoe wearer too! The next size up and my feet were swimming. So alas, I had to relinquish those shoes to another shoe-lover, but they were ab gorgeous.