Food Pictures & Recipes of your Healthy Meals!

Megs

I love bags
Admin
O.G.
Sep 13, 2005
Since most of the other sub-forums have picture threads, why not one in here! This will be a thread dedicated to taking pictures of your OWN (not take out/carry out) meals! Along with it people may find it helpful to see the recipe! Everyone is always looking for new ideas and we can all help eachother. So let's begin our own little Purse Forum Cookbook!!!:biggrin:

I will start... today Vlad and I made wraps for dinner. This is a simple and yummie recipe that can be used for lunch, dinner, or even a snack (although my wrap was huge!)

Hummus, Turkey and Veggie Wrap

- pre-cut Turkey or meat of your choice (vegetarian- no prob, leave it out!)
- any sort of veggies you like. I used cucumber, red and yellow peppers, carrots, lettuce, and tomato
-Hummus of any flavor- I used Garlic. This is great for vegetarians because Hummus has high protein
- Tortilla (Vlad goes with whole wheat and I used Spelt since I am allergic to wheat)

Simple to make... spread the hummus then turkey/meat, then add all the veggies and spices. Roll up. Note: Certain tortillas (like my wheat free ones) break easily. If you get your hands a little wet and roll it like a burrito it stays together well!!!!

Now EAT!!!! :yes:

Attachments

• wrap1.jpg
    wrap1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 428
  • wrap2.jpg
    wrap2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 401
I belong to a lunch club at work (we take turns making a homemade lunch for each other a few times a month).

I made this a while ago, it's chicken pad thai (recipe courtesy of FoodTV). It was absolutely incredible. There are a lot of ingredients, but it's very easy to make. The people I made it for didn't like shrimp, so I left them out and double the amount of chicken.

The recipe is this:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon Asian chili paste, such as sambal oelek
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 cup julienned mixed vegetables (carrots, yellow squash, zucchini)
4 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh, sliced into strips
12 medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 pound medium-wide rice noodles, soaked in warm water until softened and drained
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Chopped Romaine lettuce, for garnish
Mung bean sprouts, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish
Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Chopped peanuts, for garnish

In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, peanut butter, and chili paste until smooth.
Heat a large wok over medium-high heat, and add canola oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger and let cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the vegetables, chicken, and shrimp, and stir-fry until chicken and shrimp are browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add noodles and toss to coat.
Add peanut/spice paste, brown sugar and cider vinegar and toss to distribute. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Spread chopped romaine on a platter. Serve pad Thai on top of lettuce and garnish with mung bean sprouts, lime, cilantro and chopped peanuts.

Attachments

• padthai.jpg
    padthai.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 494
Jillybean307- That looks amazing!!! Better yet, I can eat that because the recipe uses rice noodles, so no wheat, and has no dairy!!! You gave me a wonderful recipe for one of Vlad's fav meals- I'll make it later this week for him if he is nice :graucho:

Megs said:
Jillybean307- That looks amazing!!! Better yet, I can eat that because the recipe uses rice noodles, so no wheat, and has no dairy!!! You gave me a wonderful recipe for one of Vlad's fav meals- I'll make it later this week for him if he is nice :graucho:

Yay! You guys are going to love it. It's so tasty and healthy!

LOL, you can make Vlad earn his meal by helping with the chopping of the veggies. There was a lot of chopping involved in making this dinner!

Let me know how it turns out, Megs!

Does anyone have a good recipe for protien pancakes? Meg those wraps look delicious! Oh, does anyone have any cool ideas or recipes that use tofu?? Im a veg, and I'm getting so bored of eating the same things everyday, its so hard to get your protien and cut down on carbs wen ur a veg :sad:

i've got the easiest, yummiest recipe ever. get a package of fresh whole wheat tortellini at the grocery store (it's in the refrigerated section), get some classico basil pesto sauce, and a little bit of mozarella. boil the tortellini, mix in a little pesto, and top with cheese - you should get away with eatting half a package, the sauce, and cheese for under 350 calories and tortellini is REALLY filling because it's dense. i don't have a pic, but i ate it tonight and it was wonderful.

For those who like smashed sweet potatoes: instead of brown sugar and heavy cream substitute 2 packets of Sweet and Low and 2-3 large tablespoons of low fat cool whip.

Bake and smash 3 large sweet potatoes and add the sweet and low, cool whip and a tablespoon of butter. Mash it all up, add more of whatever you want to taste. A small amount of real maple syrup added is good too!

Low cal and healthy. Mmmmm, Mmmmm good!

200gr (1 pack) Udon Noodle (Japanese Noodles) 260cals
1/2 tofu (bean curd) 30cals
1 tablespoon abalone/oyster sauce 30cals
1/2 cup of plain water 0cal
Dash of black pepper & Garlic (minced) 0cal
Lots of scallions (Chopped) 0cal

Honestly, there's no exact measurement for this dish. I basically just sautee the minced garlic using a non-stick fry pan (without oil). Adds the tofu that has been cut in diced. Add the Udon noodles into the pan along with the abalone/oyster sauce, black pepper. Add a 1/2 cup of water. Sautee them for a good 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the chopped scallions and voila ~ :yes:

Optional: You may modify the sauces to your liking or add sausages or minced meat for a extra flavor, but remember, it will be another extra calories :yes:
Almost 0gr of fat. Only 320 calories. Healthy & satisfying! :love:

Attachments

• udon.jpg
    udon.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 428