Picotin or All Leather GP???

rains

LoveMyBags
Mar 9, 2010
Hi ladies,
Need an opinion on whether my next bag should be a Picotin or an all leather GP? I will be heading to Paris sometime in the next couple of months, and with the yummy SS12 colours on their way, thought I should get one of these bags in a nice pop of colour. Ofcourse both the bags can be handheld, so its very confusing. I currently own a kelly and an evelyn, so i am contemplating what my next bag should be?

I can't say enough about the all leather GP. I have 3 Kelly's and a Constance in addition to 3 GP's and I end up carrying one of the GP's almost daily. It is such an easy everyday bag. Most people have no idea what it is but I get many compliments on them.

It all depends on what you intent the bag to be. THe Picotin is definitely dressier both both are good for everyday use especially the price is very tempting. Now on the weight though, a PM or MM Picotin will defintely be lighter than the GP since it is not lined.

i guess it may ultimately depend on which look you prefer and also what is available when you are in paris. i own a GM picotin but don't own a GP but i think both are great H bags..what sizes are you thinking of getting?

i think the pico is very cute in PM and MM and will be a great pop of colour but it is a wide open bag..i put a scarf on top of my things when i use the pico but i can shoulder carry the GM when required.

the garden party is casual and ladylike and also come in great colours..still an open bag but it can buttoned up so a bit more secure! i think it can be shoulder carried too if one does not wear thick jackets..

looking at the celebrity threads and tpf members' action thread may help you decide perhaps??

HTH and good luck!

GP all the way. Probably depends on the size and colour though. My Pico is 18*18 cm and brown (chocolat). Nowadays I've skipped brown from my warderobe so the colour is all wrong and the size slightly too small. My Gp, on the other hand, is 30 cm, the perfect size for my stuff, and the colour is a bluish gray, ardoise, which goes w everything I wear. So my advice is, go and try them out in a boutique and see how they look on you. Then ask yourself what function they are going to fill in your collection. IMO, Both styles are great for a pop of colour, but you need to think about when and where you are going to carry the bag. HTH.

I prefer the Garden Party. Its just the epitome of easy elegance to me. Classic tote shape always works IMO. My first Hermes bag was a rouge H Garden Party and I still love it. :heart:

I bought a Picotin once (MM size) but resold it immediately. I personally felt goofy carrying it. I'm in my 40s and perhaps it works better on younger women. Seemed like a little lunch pail/sand bucket to me and that wasn't really a look I was going for, lol! :P It didn't hold much and I wasn't crazy about how it collapsed into a puddle when set down. I like my bags a bit more structured. Of course I've seen pics of women carrying Picotins looking very chic, like MaiTai, for instance, although she looks good carrying anything. It just isn't a bag for me.

It all depends on what you intent the bag to be. THe Picotin is definitely dressier both both are good for everyday use especially the price is very tempting. Now on the weight though, a PM or MM Picotin will defintely be lighter than the GP since it is not lined.

If I do pick the picotin style, i think it would be in MM, as PM would feel very small for my build. I would have to try it out to see if it suits me.

Thanks a lot to each one of you who have responded, looks like i will have to try these at the store and see which which style, colour and size would look better of the two, but it looks like most of you prefer GP style. Keeping my fingers crossed, as H inventory can be very unpredictable and depends what is avl at that time to me. I was there last summer and the FSH store was bare and it was very disappointing.

Gee I dont know Rains. I like both. There is something, though about the Picotin I find very appealing. It is the shape I think. It is different from other bag shapes and I think that makes it alluring to me. GP is fabulous as a workhorse. I think it is going to come down to feel, function and personal preference when you test both out in person, like many above (and yourself) have said. Good luck and will await a reveal soon I hope!!!

I bought a Picotin once (MM size) but resold it immediately. I personally felt goofy carrying it. I'm in my 40s and perhaps it works better on younger women. Seemed like a little lunch pail/sand bucket to me and that wasn't really a look I was going for, lol! :P It didn't hold much and I wasn't crazy about how it collapsed into a puddle when set down. I like my bags a bit more structured. Of course I've seen pics of women carrying Picotins looking very chic, like MaiTai, for instance, although she looks good carrying anything. It just isn't a bag for me.

Same thing happened to me. I really wanted to love the picotin -- other people look so chic carrying it. I just couldn't make the style work for me. I started with a mm .....and when that didn't work I bought a gm...and when that didn't work I bought a tgm. All of them moved on to other homes. It was not a good look on me.

Like Cosmo I do love the garden party. I have 3!

Like many have said before me, both are fantastic bags. I personally find Picotins are best suited for casual settings. GP can definitely be used for work because of its shopper shape, also just a note, GP can go over your shoulder as well.

I find the picotin cuter than the gp but I know that bag would drive me crazy if I owned it! The lack of pockets is a no no for me, I tend to lose everything in my purses