Picking up my new kitten tomorrow at 5 pm!

oh what a cutie! looks like my cat, nancy.
I've been raising cats since I was about 5 years old (I'm 43) so I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. PM me anytime.

p.s. the younger the kitty, the more scared (crying, etc) he/she is going to be. It is suggested that you wait at least 8 weeks before removing them from mom. How old is your kitty?

Oh she IS SO ADORABLE!!!!!! Want to snuggle and smooch her myself~~~:kiss:!!! I think time will take care of your worries. You guys are loving her and giving lots of attention and in no time, she is going to be a lovey-dovey!:heart::heart::heart:

Congratulations on your new addition! She is just too cute!! I have a kitten myself and he is great company (my husband works nights). Muffin is probably still adjusting to her surroundings. My cat Ernie cries when he wants attention-- as soon as he hears me get up in the morning or come home from work he starts meowing.

How is Muffin doing? The last pics are sooo cute! I'm not a cat expert, but I know with puppies, they can be taken from mommy too soon and it can delay the development a little. Of course, the shelter/rescue cats and dogs don't have the luxury of staying with mom as long as they should. You're her mommy now. It sounds like you are patient and loving and it will all work out.

Congratulations on your new addition! She is just too cute!! I have a kitten myself and he is great company (my husband works nights). Muffin is probably still adjusting to her surroundings. My cat Ernie cries when he wants attention-- as soon as he hears me get up in the morning or come home from work he starts meowing.

nyshopaholic--how did you ever come up with Ernie for your cat's name? I have to laugh because I had an Uncle Ernie, a father-in-law Ernie and my husband's middle name is Ernest. Ernie the cat--very cute!

What a little cutie!! She's gorgeous!
It is normal for cats to be like that, since they are in a new environment with new people. And yes be concerned about hairballs, especially since she is a long-haired cat. Ask your vet about Laxatone, if they get bad. Also, get your kitty spayed as soon as your vet recommends it, it's better in the long run. If you really want to spoil your kitty, give her bottled water(I do, and I am sure it has to do something good), and I strongly think that those water purifiers are a waste of time and money(I had one, and it was supposed to be the best, but it was junk.)
Since your kitty is young, get her used to baths, nail clipping, brushing(you'll be doing a lot of it, I have a long haired cat, and I do), and teeth brushing, all of which are vital to your kitty's health. Also, ask your vet about Oralvet, which is a gel that you put on your cats teeth after brushing to help avoid plague build up.
Have fun with your new kitty!
Edit: some really informative reading that I highly recommend: Cat Fancy Magazine(I have had a subscription for years, always something new), and Cats for Dummies(Answers a lot of questions and a good reference.)

nyshopaholic--how did you ever come up with Ernie for your cat's name? I have to laugh because I had an Uncle Ernie, a father-in-law Ernie and my husband's middle name is Ernest. Ernie the cat--very cute!

Thank you! I named him after Ernie from Sesame Street, who was always my favorite character on that show. :love: Ernie the cat is just like his namesake- very mischevious and playful.

Awww she's adorable! I really wish you the best.
and all the advice they've given you is great :smile:
I've had cats since I was one. first it was outside street cats that I'd take care of.
it takes alot of patiance with them when they're not too tame. but give it time and they come around. especially since your cat is in the house with you ;) it will be MUCH easier.

I only got 1 untame cat in my life in the house :/ *was a bday pressie from someone/obviously they didn't check if it's tame :S*
anyway it was a HUGE full grown persian male...he was SO heavy you can't imagine. I had to get our driver to come and take him out from under my bed :/ I was too scared of it cause it was strong :O too dangerous to have in a house..it tried to scratch me and everything...spooky I tell you lol

but thank god all my other experiences are great =)
So do't stress out cause the kitten will get used to you very soon ^_^

Very Cute!

I actually just adopted a kitten from the humane society yesturday. His name is McDreamy :smile:

I suggest to keep her in your room or a small room...with a little bed..or box, the big hosue or appartment may scare her at first.

McDreamy ran right under the bed when he got here...and didn't come out for 10 hours..poor thing, But now hes fine, eating regularly, and using the litter box. :smile:

Let her come to you if shes scared, use treats or a toy with some cat nip to make her feel more at home :smile:

^ Hee hee, my neighbor's big orange tabby cat is called Muffin too!

Thanks you guys for all of the advice. Muffin has been slightly calmer in the last few days. I've been kind of confused because the books and pet-shop owners that I've talked to all give me conflicting advice... Half the people tell me to pet her more, and the other half tell me that I have to leave her alone and not chase her, so that she'll feel safe. Everyone's been really kind and sympathetic, though, thanks so much! :smile:

She's really grown in the past week though, I've been amazed- I didn't know that kittens expanded like plants in the sun! :biggrin:

I'll try to update w/ some pics in the next few days...

Spiralsnowman, how old is Muffin? She looks mighty young to me! A kitten really shouldn't be seperated from its mom until it's about 12 weeks old. Too late now but you might keep it in mind if you ever get another kitten. Also it sounds like she hadn't been "humanised" very well. Kittens need to be handled a lot by the time they are about 8 weeks or they will always remain a bit feral. I would absolutely NOT "chase" her or try to force any interactions with her until she indicates she is ready. The advice you've gotten about keeping her in one room--a "safe" space--is very sound. Let her come out and start to explore on her own. Also, she may need you to "show" her how to play with her toys since she seems very young and has no littermates to play with.

She's really grown in the past week though, I've been amazed- I didn't know that kittens expanded like plants in the sun! :biggrin:

I'll try to update w/ some pics in the next few days...

It is fun watching them grow. I have had my kitten for almost four weeks and I can't believe how much she has grown. I just want her to stay a tiny little kitten forever!! She is just now coming into her voice and is starting to really "meow", it used to be a very silent "meow". :smile:

I can't wait to see more pics of Muffin.