Picking up my new kitten tomorrow at 5 pm!

In my opinion, I disagree with your seller. Maybe she meant that you should pet her more when she's out in the open, not hiding under the bed. She will eventually get more curious and realize that she is not in danger. Then she will not always be under the bed and start checking out her surroundings. Have patience, this will take a few days. Don't run after her; let her come to you on her terms. Speak quietly and calmly to her so she doesn't get spooked. She will come around!

I think this too. In addition, I might put a small dish of food and water within sight of the bed to coax her out sometimes. She may be tempted by it when you're not in the room and then eventually even when you are. It just takes a little time for new kittens to adjust. She'll be a loving companion soon enough.

And she sure is adorable!:flowers:

Awww, she is a beautiful girl! Congrats! I am a new cat owner myself. (I have two Siamese mixes - a boy and a girl.) You are so right about the overwhelming information there is out there. The advice given here is great! I have tons of friends with cats, so I have been lucky. IMO, you are going to love having her. :smile:

It's funny that you named her Muffin. That is what I call my boy as a nickname. He is my little "Muffin Man". :smile:

She's so cute!!! Makes me want one....don't worry about her shyness and hissing. All 3 of mine did that because we adopted them. Within the week she will venture out....then you can take more pics of this adorable creature!!

Awww...congratulations!!! She is adorable!!! I am sure that once she feels more comfortable she will come around. Has there been any recent progress?

I just got a kitten as well, two weeks ago for my birthday. It is always so fun having a new baby in the house!! :smile:

How's Muffin getting along? I work with hyperthyroid cats, so I don't get to see kittens very much anymore. I used to foster tons until I adopted a third dog and started working more.
You are going to have so much fun! If you are going to have only one cat, Muffin will bond with you like crazy in no time!
Consider subscribing to cat newsletters from Cornell Feline Health Center (CatWatch Catwatch: Cornell Feline Health Center) and Tufts University's vet school (CATNIP http://www.tufts.edu/vet/publications/catnip/index.html). Both schools are wonderful vet schools for feline owners per me. They are both very helpful and have information from best toys to lots of healthcare advices.

Hi guys,

Well the past few days have been a bit difficult, as Muffin has been crying (i.e., yowling) nonstop. The only time she stops is when you're holding her, but this in itself is hard because she runs like the wind when you try to approach her. We kind of have to corner her, and as soon as she's in your arms she closes her eyes and goes limp/relaxes.

Is this normal? We're worried that there's something wrong w/ her. My poor kitty! :sad:

I'll try to post more pics later tonight too...

That is a totally cute cat!!! Was she friendly at the breeders? Did she let you hold her when you picked her out? Some cats are standoffish...but hopefully she will get used to her new home and be more friendly. Good luck and keep up posted!!!

What kinds of cat toys do you have currently? I think she is still getting used to you and the new environment. The fact that she relaxes when you are holding her may indicate that she feels and needs company right now. She is probably crying to call out to her littermates or other cast she grew up with? How old was she again? And is she spayed? You can start playing with her, too, if you haven't yet, to let her trust you as a playmate. Some of the best toys that worked with my foster kittens are those mouse with leather tails, cat teasers with feather and bell, and CatDancer (BEST ONE-My adult cats still gets into it)! And laser is great, too, just don't shine in her eyes! All are sold in stores like Petsmart, PETCO! I guarantee she will start loving to play with you and hence feel more and more comfortable being approached by you. And if she loves it too much, she is going to come up with you and ask you to play with her! Do you also have cat beds and also something that she can hide in comfortably? Cats love dark places and they often feel and need that kind of 'safe' place. You can also have your carrier out all times with fluffy towels so when you have to take her to your vet, she won't freak out getting in there! And also keep feeding her food and water, too. If she is a kitten, I would 'free-feed' her, i.e. having dry food and water accessible all day. And give her canned food twice a day or something like that. Then she will trust you more since you are the one providing food :smile:
Have fun!!!

Attachments

• cat dancer.jpg
    cat dancer.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 26
  • cat teaser.jpg
    cat teaser.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 24
  • laser cat toy.jpg
    laser cat toy.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 27
  • mouse2.jpg
    mouse2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the advice! I've bought her some toys, but she has yet to play... hopefully she'll come around soon...

In the meantime, more pic (these are of my Mum playing "boxing" w/ her). They're a little blurry, I should've opened the blinds more for more light

I agree -- she may be "calling out" to her other absent littermates. Have you tried answering her when she calls? (Kittens seem to like high pitched, cooing kinds of voices.) I did that to my kitten when I took her on a trip to see my parents. It's almost like her homing device.

I'm sure she's lonely, going from a group of kittens to being a single kitty. Try to interact with her as much as possible. Good luck and please keep us posted!