Photos of your less than perfect vintage Hermès and share experiences

I think it is for 1966. V in a circle is for 1992.
That is correct. But I have to tell you, $8,000 is too much. That’s why the bag is still there. It is overpriced by $2-3,000.
If you are ok with a navy colored bag, here is one on Poshmark. You could get this for under $5k with a little negotiation.

So, here is a pic of my imperfect 1964 BBK with a random silk. I thought that kellys held their value. The above referenced one from AFF is year 1966, and is 2 years younger than my BBK. Why is it considered overpriced?

I am not looking to sell this or anything, but it seems that if a new one is in the 5 digit range, why would 8k be too much if they hold their value? Is it just because the bag is older, even if kept in darn near pristine condition that the value does not hold?
I am just trying to understand and learn which is why I am asking. Love everyone's bags BTW! Thanks for letting me share!

1964 kelly.jpg

1964 kelly up close.jpg

So, here is a pic of my imperfect 1964 BBK with a random silk. I thought that kellys held their value. The above referenced one from AFF is year 1966, and is 2 years younger than my BBK. Why is it considered overpriced?

I am not looking to sell this or anything, but it seems that if a new one is in the 5 digit range, why would 8k be too much if they hold their value? Is it just because the bag is older, even if kept in darn near pristine condition that the value does not hold?
I am just trying to understand and learn which is why I am asking. Love everyone's bags BTW! Thanks for letting me share!

View attachment 5583809

View attachment 5583810
Because it is still an almost 60 year old bag, so it has 50+ years of wear on it and there are no bonus points given for extreme age on Kellys. It does not reasonably compare with a new one with no wear. It does not look new, it will never look new, which is fine. But you are not comparing apples to apples. Considering that bag was only a couple hundred dollars tops new, I think getting $5-6k (50-60% of the value of a brand new one) for an item someone got to use for almost 60 years is a pretty good return on investment…

Because it is still an almost 60 year old bag, so it has 50+ years of wear on it and there are no bonus points given for extreme age on Kellys. It does not reasonably compare with a new one with no wear. It does not look new, it will never look new, which is fine. But you are not comparing apples to apples. Considering that bag was only a couple hundred dollars tops new, I think getting $5-6k (50-60% of the value of a brand new one) for an item someone got to use for almost 60 years is a pretty good return on investment…if that’s not “holding value” to you, well…

View attachment 5583809

View attachment 5583810
Your bag is gorgeous and I'm sure you use and love it. And that is what is important!

Many great box bags are selling for about that price- this one has some issues, but as @audreylita said, everyone has a difference tolerance for different issues. Age doesn't automatically make a bag more desirable, despite what some may say ( not you!)

In addition, it's not only the age, condition and style of bag, but so much more that can determine a bags "worth". Leather type is a key factor- although many purport to "adore" heritage leathers ( box, barenia, butler, swift etc), they aren't willing to tolerate a scratch, or the time it takes to get to a reasonable patina. No judgement, its just a fact. Because of this, these leathers tend to command less insane prices as time goes by.
Box needs to be maintained or it will dry out, and many bags that are older look good, but will not hold up to normal use- not abuse, just normal everyday "I use my bag" use. If you can't carry it by the handle because the leather is so dry it will crack, that's a bag that won't do you much good.
Most box bags are not "in" colors ( except in my mind, in which noir is the standard to which all others aspire :graucho:). So again, box ain't pink.
And please don't start me on how social media, etc influence bag prices.
Last but not least, the market went crazy the past few years ( again for multiple reasons) and may now continue to be crazy, or may be entering a correction, so who knows what your Box beauty may be worth in the future? It will be worth what someone is willing to pay for it- so as long as you love it and use it NOW, that's all that counts.

It depends what you mean by 'holding value'.
Surely it is more like if you paid say 5000 for something a few years ago, then you might expect to get around 5000 if you sold it today.
This is different from expecting to get the current retail price of say 10,000 today.
This is what I consider to be the real meaning of 'investment pieces' where fashion is concerned: to buy the current version of a classic coat that cost x000 a few years ago might cost 3x000 today. So buying it back then was an investment, because it saved you money in the future - it was not an investment because you could resell it for nx000 in the future.

Short term flipping is not part of this argument. Therefore for a vintage piece you might expect to pay now a figure that reflects its original price.

I kind of get both points of view on this one. Vamp is right, the Kelly bag has continually seen such crazy spikes in demand (as is the same with all H bags it seems) therefore increasing it’s value on the resale market. Gone are the days of fantastic deals it seems- can never get one below $6k minimum it seems nowadays. Now, would I pull the trigger on that specific bag? It does worry me condition wise and $8k is a bit rich, so I’m with others on this one to try and negotiate the price a little bit if you can before pulling the trigger seeing that you could get a decent B35/K32/K35/C in better condition for about $2k more if patient and that might be better $$$ value. For reference, I bought my box calf K28 noir in very good condition might I add, in February for $6,500 and it is a 1998 model. I will note that i was super lucky to come across a deal like that, but I just wanted to give you a reference you could use to make an informed decision for yourself

Your bag is gorgeous and I'm sure you use and love it. And that is what is important!

Many great box bags are selling for about that price- this one has some issues, but as @audreylita said, everyone has a difference tolerance for different issues. Age doesn't automatically make a bag more desirable, despite what some may say ( not you!)

In addition, it's not only the age, condition and style of bag, but so much more that can determine a bags "worth". Leather type is a key factor- although many purport to "adore" heritage leathers ( box, barenia, butler, swift etc), they aren't willing to tolerate a scratch, or the time it takes to get to a reasonable patina. No judgement, its just a fact. Because of this, these leathers tend to command less insane prices as time goes by.
Box needs to be maintained or it will dry out, and many bags that are older look good, but will not hold up to normal use- not abuse, just normal everyday "I use my bag" use. If you can't carry it by the handle because the leather is so dry it will crack, that's a bag that won't do you much good.
Most box bags are not "in" colors ( except in my mind, in which noir is the standard to which all others aspire :graucho:). So again, box ain't pink.
And please don't start me on how social media, etc influence bag prices.
Last but not least, the market went crazy the past few years ( again for multiple reasons) and may now continue to be crazy, or may be entering a correction, so who knows what your Box beauty may be worth in the future? It will be worth what someone is willing to pay for it- so as long as you love it and use it NOW, that's all that counts.
That is all so true and well explained. At the moment there does seem to be an inflation of the prices commanded by older bags, but when fashion moves on to its next trend, the bubble will burst and in financial terms there will be a correction and prices might plummet.
Some bags are now like antiques, appreciated for the quality of their materials and craftsmanship - but that is a market where values go up and down according to trends.

I kind of get both points of view on this one. Vamp is right, the Kelly bag has continually seen such crazy spikes in demand (as is the same with all H bags it seems) therefore increasing it’s value on the resale market. Gone are the days of fantastic deals it seems- can never get one below $6k minimum it seems nowadays. Now, would I pull the trigger on that specific bag? It does worry me condition wise and $8k is a bit rich, so I’m with others on this one to try and negotiate the price a little bit if you can before pulling the trigger seeing that you could get a decent B35/K32/K35/C in better condition for about $2k more if patient and that might be better $$$ value. For reference, I bought my box calf K28 noir in very good condition might I add, in February for $6,500 and it is a 1998 model. I will note that i was super lucky to come across a deal like that, but I just wanted to give you a reference you could use to make an informed decision for yourself
I agree with you on all but one point. I see Kellys in and under $6k on the regular. Not in huge supply, but they are not unicorns by any stretch of the imagination. They are typically older and/or have some minor cosmetics like some scratches, corner rubbing or scratched hardware- nothing a spa trip would not fix. And not just on eBay either…sites like The RealReal, Vestaire, etc. I bought my 1956 last spring and, while it had some bigger issues that would scare some away, I got mine for $2200. Repairs were $800. $3000 all in. I would not want to wear it every day, but I did not buy it to wear every day so that is ok.

Thanks for all of your insights! Great perspectives on value vs investment. I too, would not purchase the AFF bag because not being able to identify who did the spa work would mean no go for H to do the work. That would be important to me. The other no-no is the perfume smell. I have sensitivity to odors and would not be able to deal with a bag with that kind of constant.

What I also had in mind with my question (and I did not properly pivot away from the AFF bag) was trying to tease out the fact that there are some people that buy a bag--even in the 60s (like a kelly) and don't really use it. This was the case with my bag. It was bought in the 60s and rarely used, therefore, zero corner wear. etc. There are a few scratches, but no cracks and has developed a wonderful patina. What is pictured is how it came to me and it was a bit dry and needed some conditioning and thanks to this forum:heart:, I knew not to do anything heavy duty if I wanted H to work on it some day! Just used some Bicks 4 and that's it. She looks even better now.

But, back to the people that keep the stickers on, and if they know to do this-apply some kind of light moisturizer to keep the bag in tip top shape and not dry out, keep the box, felt and everything that came with it etc. What Nymeria, Whitebus and Pinky7 said about the inflation assigned to older bags at this time either due to social media, crazy resellers, etc. is what I was seeing too and its kind of why I wanted to pose the question... about whether it would be reasonable to think an older bag could possibly command more modern pricing if it is say, new old stock for lack of a better way to express. Would the fact that it is simply an older bag render it unable to command more current prices? Again, I am absolutely not selling, not even thinking of selling my bag, love it too much!!! I got a great deal on it and there is something about a "score" for such a classic that just gives me that smile and knowing nod.....

Bowiefan1971-Your points are well taken. I remember following your journey and how H said something to the effect of "beyond repair" and another firm was able to resuscitate your beauty! Your persistence paid off and I like your analysis about a 60 some year bag!

I will attach the pics of 2 other imperfect kellys that I purchased (one is 1988 and one is 1998), just because we all like eye candy and it would be in keeping with the topic. These are from years ago. The 1988 Rouge H kelly, I wound up returning. I had just begun reading the forum and was practicing tying twillies (I had bought vintage twillies back then too). My experience with this one, was that after I read through some of the information here, I learned about what a painted bag looks and can feel like. The seller did not disclose this and while there is absolutely nothing wrong with this technique for repair or preference, a buyer needs to be made aware. I wanted to know what a box bag felt like unaltered, so it went back. Lesson learned here. The 1998 black box pictured here was authenticated and had not been altered other than the free scratches that came with it! LOL! One pic is the 1998 BBK and since it did not come with a strap, I bought a mautto one. I then found the 1964 BBK above and bought that one, which obviously had no strap. I found a separate H strap (lobster claw) and bought it for the 1964 since those straps (if ordered) would have been the period correct one used-- though I did "try it on" the 1998 one. I again, was "practicing" rosettes and other scarf tying techniques. I gave the 1998 BBK to my Mom and did find another H strap (the one used today) and gave her both the mautto and newer H straps and kept the lobster claw one for the 1964 BBK.

Oh, one last experience. Before I returned the 1988 bag, I did find a separate Rouge H strap (the newer one) and bought it. However, once again, learning from this forum about how Hermes has changed Rouge H colors throughout the years, the strap did not match color-wise. So, back that went as well. I know I am preaching to the choir among my OGs here, but if there are newbies that happen upon this thread, I wanted to put my experience out there for you too:smile:

First 1988 kelly.jpg

1998 kelly.jpg

1998 kelly vintage strap.jpg

Happy dance here! :happydance: Just found a 1999 rouge box K32...my first Kelly! It won't arrive until next week and then I'll have to get it authenticated (not sure I trust eBay authenticators!) If it's legit, I'll post pics. In the meantime, I'm dancing!

Ironically, when I texted my SA to share my excitement, she asked if she could call me. Turns out that she has 'held' a noir K32 for me which I'll go see next week. I guess Kelly love is in the air!

Happy dance here! :happydance: Just found a 1999 rouge box K32...my first Kelly! It won't arrive until next week and then I'll have to get it authenticated (not sure I trust eBay authenticators!) If it's legit, I'll post pics. In the meantime, I'm dancing!

Ironically, when I texted my SA to share my excitement, she asked if she could call me. Turns out that she has 'held' a noir K32 for me which I'll go see next week. I guess Kelly love is in the air!
How exciting! Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pictures of ... both??!! :happydance: