Phoebe Philo leaving Celine?

jmc3007

Apr 28, 2015
She's been there for 8 years, it's inevitable that the end comes, especially when designing under someone else's label. Would be most curious about changes to the money minting machine known as handbags.

lordguinny

O.G.
May 16, 2006
If she really leaves, do you think the luggage, trapeze, belt will be outdated like chloe paddington? [emoji16]

No, I don't think so. The paddington didn't go out of style because Philo left Chloe. It went out of style because the padlock was extremely limited in shelf life and the bag itself couldn't sustain the change of times. It wasn't a classic due to it's shape, weight and trinkets.

When Balenciaga's designer Nicolas Ghesquière (he created the moto bag that made Balenciaga a household name) left and was replaced by Alexandre Wang everyone was worried that Moto bags would become dated. They were wrong, and the moto line is still their mainstay bags. Now Balenciaga has a new designer, Demna Gvasalia, who everyone is excited for. But even with his arrival the classic moto line will remain intact.

To me, the luggage/trapeze/box bags are in this same category of staple classic bags - regardless of which designers come/go. :biggrin:

Last edited:

onepiece101

May 21, 2013
No, I don't think so. The paddington didn't go out of style because Philo left Chloe. It went out of style because the padlock was extremely limited in shelf life and the bag itself couldn't sustain the change of times. It wasn't a classic due to it's shape, weight and trinkets.

When Balenciaga's designer Nicolas Ghesquière (he created the moto bag that made Balenciaga a household name) left and was replaced by Alexandre Wang everyone was worried that Moto bags would become dated. They were wrong, and the moto line is still their mainstay bags. Now Balenciaga has a new designer, Demna Gvasalia, who everyone is excited for. But even with his arrival the classic moto line will remain intact.

To me, the luggage/trapeze/box bags are in this same category of staple classic bags - regardless of which designers come/go. :biggrin:

Agree with 100% of what you've said!