Phoebe or Medium City Tote? Help!

MsSJones

Sep 9, 2013
I absolutely adore these two bags and really want to add one of them to my small collection. I have a cognac bleecker messenger, a black Rory and a burgundy (was this the colour?) legacy bucket.

My main issue is that because I live in the UK, and sadly nowhere near London, where there are Coach stores, my options with regards to the colours are slightly limited. I can only order from John Lewis, something like the Neiman Marcus of the UK, and they only have few colours.

So for Phoebe the choices are Marigold, Sand, Scarlet and Grey Quartz. For the City Tote, Toffee, Scarlet and Violet.

However, first of all I need to decide which one to get! They are both very roomy and fit over a thick coat, they're very stylish and sort of classic, I think!

For those of you who own one of the two, or both, how is the wearing of the leather? Are they sturdy after a long period of use?

I am pretty sure that Violet would be the colour to go for I get the City tote, but I am more baffled when it comes to Phoebe.

The ideal would be dark plume, but that's not available. The next best is Marigold. I usually wear bags in dark/neutral colours, but I really do love this one! Would you think it's be difficult to wear? Do you have any modelling pictures you could post for those owning Marigold? After that, I think it's go for grey. What do you think?

Thanks in advance to anyone who decided to offer some piece of advice! :smile: ;)

I own both Phoebe and the medium City Tote, and love both styles. The City Tote will be great to use during bad weather. I consider it to be a more care-free type of bag.

I'd be nervous using Phoebe if it were raining or snowing. So, I don't know if that will be a factor in your decision. But the leather and the smell of the Phoebe is also amazing.

I own the City Tote in Toffee and it is a rich, gorgeous color to me and I love it. I don't have any of your color choices for Phoebe, but Scarlet is on my wish list and I've seen it in person - it is gorgeous!

I guess I'm not much help at all, sorry..... :P

I own both Phoebe and the medium City Tote, and love both styles. The City Tote will be great to use during bad weather. I consider it to be a more care-free type of bag.

I'd be nervous using Phoebe if it were raining or snowing. So, I don't know if that will be a factor in your decision. But the leather and the smell of the Phoebe is also amazing.

I own the City Tote in Toffee and it is a rich, gorgeous color to me and I love it. I don't have any of your color choices for Phoebe, but Scarlet is on my wish list and I've seen it in person - it is gorgeous!

I guess I'm not much help at all, sorry..... :P

No, no, you're great help actually! This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

I love both styles so much, but as I mentioned in my post, I just live too far away from any Coach stores hence cannot go and check them, so the only option for me is order online.

I usually like red and I did like Scarlet in the website picture, but then I saw some pictures here and I am not sure I am fond of it now. Would you say it's more pink or more red?

I have a north south city tote in Robin and multiple Phoebes. Marigold isn't a color that has been released in the US yet but I heard it is coming. I have carried my city tote a lot and it is very durable. It is a great all weather bag and works well in bad weather. It has structure to it so it doesn't get all floppy like some of Coach's leather totes. I really like that about it. I consider it a more casual bag than Phoebe.

I love Phoebe. It is very stylish and chic. It is comfy on the shoulder. I wouldn't say the leather is as durable as the city tote, but it is a quality glove tanned leather. If you care for your bag and regularly condition it and spray with rain protection, I think it will be fine. It is somewhat pebbly of a leather. I haven't had my Phoebes as long but I don't see wear being a huge issue for me. If you are hard on your bags, I would pick the city tote over Phoebe.

I recently picked up both quartz gray and scarlet Phoebe. The gray has a slight purple undertone that I love. Scarlet is fabulous. It is a great red bag. If Marigold comes out here, I am sure I will end up with it too. I love that color!

I recently picked up both quartz gray and scarlet Phoebe. The gray has a slight purple undertone that I love. Scarlet is fabulous. It is a great red bag. If Marigold comes out here, I am sure I will end up with it too. I love that color!

I was actually going to propose the exact same combination. Saffiano leather in red is absolutely gorgeous!! You can check the Saffiano thread in the Coach clubhouse subforum for examples. Although I don't have a red city tote I recently bought a red saffiano Kimberly and I absolutely love her. So I would propose the Scarlet tote for you.

If you like violet, you'll like the gray quartz. It's a powdery-gray mauve color with lilac undertones (yes, its that complicated! lol!). I have this one as well, and it is equally breathtakingly gorgeous. I attach you a mod shot showing the true color (which differs from the website).

I think the Saffiano collection and Phoebe are the prettiest bags that Coach has to offer at the moment (well, if you don't count my boo Madeline). If you need to pay shipping, you might as well buy both of them :graucho::graucho::graucho:

Let us know what you decide!

Attachments

• user366520_pic106671_1382580982.jpg
    user366520_pic106671_1382580982.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,155
Get Marigold Phoebe. The color is scrumptious and unlike any other color Coach has done, at least recently. I bought a marigold Madison small satchel last week at a department store in the US, and the color is amazing. I'm looking forward to marigold Phoebs becoming available in the States.

Get Marigold Phoebe. The color is scrumptious and unlike any other color Coach has done, at least recently. I bought a marigold Madison small satchel last week at a department store in the US, and the color is amazing. I'm looking forward to marigold Phoebs becoming available in the States.

I love the colour, which is unusual for me because I tend to wear quite a lot of black, grey and navy all year round and I am quite wary when it comes to bright colours like this. My main "fear" is whether I will be confident enough to carry it! :smile:

Last edited:
I love the colour, which is unusual for me because I tend to wear quite a lot of black, grey and navy all year round and I am quite wary when it comes to bright colours like this. My main problem is whether I will be confident enough to carry it! :smile:

If you wear black, grey and navy, Marigold will go great with your wardrobe. I used to be the kind of person who only wore neutral bags, but finally stepped out of my comfort zone awhile ago, now I love colorful bags. It can be really fun to dress up a neutral outfit with a pop of color in your accessories, like a bag.

A marigold colored bag in the winter time can be a ray of sunshine on a dreary day. I have the marigold poppy tote that was out last summer, and I love the color. In the winter, if you wear a black or navy coat, the Marigold would look great with a scarf that matches the bag. (Now I really want a Marigold Phoebe).

I own both a medium saffiano tote and a few phoebes. I would recommend phoebe. I've been carrying phoebe since March and this bag is one of my most favourite bags ever. It is very, very comfortable to carry, hugs to your body, has thick pebbled leather and it holds tons of stuff while still being comfortable to carry. I have carried phoebe in all types of weather including heavy rain and I have had zero issues with the leather.

The medium tote is also durable but I find that it feels heavy quickly which I don't like. It is a beautiful bag but I barely use this bag because I have a much better experience carrying a phoebe.

I own both a medium saffiano tote and a few phoebes. I would recommend phoebe. I've been carrying phoebe since March and this bag is one of my most favourite bags ever. It is very, very comfortable to carry, hugs to your body, has thick pebbled leather and it holds tons of stuff while still being comfortable to carry. I have carried phoebe in all types of weather including heavy rain and I have had zero issues with the leather.

The medium tote is also durable but I find that it feels heavy quickly which I don't like. It is a beautiful bag but I barely use this bag because I have a much better experience carrying a phoebe.

Thank you so much! I've been thinking the exact same thing about the city tote. Plus, I feel it might get quite bulky if it's full hence it'll probably be slightly uncomfortable to carry on the shoulder. I've seen the picture with Jessica Alba and her city tote and that's exactly what I'd like to avoid!

Amy Adams' Phoebe also seems quite full, but it's not as bulky as the city tote!

I'll probably be getting the Phoebe!! Now if only I could decide on the colour!! :biggrin: