Phil Robertson vs. Paula Deen

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
You may or may not know the Paula Deen story from a while back or the Phil Robertson story in the headlines now.

They both ran their mouths. They both have their supporters and detractors.

Word is coming out that Duck Dynasty (another reality trash show) may be in jeopardy (no loss there) in that the rest of the family may walk in protest of Poppa Phil's suspension by A&E.

There have been other similar stories, Mel Gibson, Alec Baldwin, Charlie Sheen to name a few.

How far should these things go?

i feel that freedom of speech doesn't mean that you words can't consequences. they should face some sort of consequences. and if that means they get fired, i'm here for it tbh.

I don't get the controversy. There have been newscasters and sportscasters who have been fired for saying something offensive/bigoted/etc. on the air that their employers (and advertisers and others in the public) don't like or find offensive. So how is this any different? Like Paula Deen, this guy made bigoted remarks and his employer responded as it saw fit.

A&E is not the government. It's a media company that employs people as entertainers on its shows. As an employer, it can take action against an employee as it wishes, especially in at-will states or if a contract has an at-will clause.

A&E is not the government. It's a media company that employs people as entertainers on its shows. As an employer, it can take action against an employee as it wishes, especially in at-will states or if a contract has an at-will clause.

Thank you. People tend to forget this fact when they bring up freedom of speech violations.

I don't get the people who are mad at A&E for firing him claiming Freedom of Speech.... He wasn't jailed by the Govt. for saying what he said(which is what the First Amendment is really about)... He was suspended by his employer... Also... there is a fine line between Free Speech and Hate Speech... the First Amendent has that "You can't yell fire in a crowded theatre" clause... That is where his comments lay... they were offensive and inflammatory... There is also a video that surfaced of him in 2010 of this sermon he gave where he is saying even worse offensive and derogatory things about gays... It is safe to say now that he really a bigot... and if A&E doesn't want him representing their network... That is their right as an employer to make that choice...

A&E is a huge corporation that needs to do what they need to do to keep their views and ratings up. I think there are more people against Phil right now than there are supporters.

Bottom like is, Phil knows he is a "celebrity" and what he said would not be overlooked. When he opened his mouth and said what he did, he must have known there would be consequences and/or people against him, and he needed to be okay with that. If he is upset about getting suspended, he needs to get real. It is perfectly fine to have your own views, but when you are someone in the public eye it is best to just keep some stuff to yourself ESPECIALLY if it is a touchy subject.

I do think Duck Dynasty will be cancelled completely.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We can't live in a world where we walk on eggshells. However, when you say something you KNOW is going to be controversial, that's just plain stupid. A lot of people who are bigoted or close-minded are a product of their environment, they simply just don't know any better, or different. That's not a pass for them, they don't just get to be that way without consequences. I'm just saying that because of the way they grew up, and never having left the place where they're from, they don't understand the world outside their own.

For me, it's hard because I definitely don't agree at all with what he said, but I also think that he should be allowed to voice his opinion. He's allowed to think and believe whatever he wants.

You're allowed to say what you want and you're employer is allowed to suspend/fire you if they feel it's offensive or creating a hostile work environment. The average person can't walk into their office and say these type of things without consequences. It's really no different.

I think everyone knew this was bound to happen at some point - especially the family. IMO, that's why they put their name on every toy, plastic cup and throw blanket on the market. Make hay while the sun shines, because you know it will be raining soon. There's only so long you can keep views like that under wraps. Television shows can cut and paste the film they want to use; interviews are obviously much trickier. But they had money before the series, so it will be no great loss to them. Most "reality" shows don't last long anyway (unless they change characters, at least).

You're allowed to say what you want and you're employer is allowed to suspend/fire you if they feel it's offensive or creating a hostile work environment. The average person can't walk into their office and say these type of things without consequences. It's really no different.

Perfect! Explains how I feel. :woohoo:

I wouldn't want to work with someone who went around saying disgusting things like that, and yes, in my company, they would be fired.

Updated: Dec 20, 2013 9:11 PM CST
By MYFOXATLANTA STAFF

At least one store says they are pulling some products associated with Duck Dynasty and reality show star Phil Robertson.

In a post on their Facebook page, Cracker Barrel Old Country Store stated they will continue to provide some Duck Commander products in their store, but removed some associated products that they "were concerned might offend some of our guests while we evaluate the situation."

The store further stated that the company operates on "ideals of fairness, mutual respect and equal treatment of all people. These ideals are the core of our corporate culture."

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/24277496/cracker-barrel-pulls-some-duck-dynasty-products

A&E is a huge corporation that needs to do what they need to do to keep their views and ratings up. I think there are more people against Phil right now than there are supporters.

Bottom like is, Phil knows he is a "celebrity" and what he said would not be overlooked. When he opened his mouth and said what he did, he must have known there would be consequences and/or people against him, and he needed to be okay with that. If he is upset about getting suspended, he needs to get real. It is perfectly fine to have your own views, but when you are someone in the public eye it is best to just keep some stuff to yourself ESPECIALLY if it is a touchy subject.

I do think Duck Dynasty will be cancelled completely.

I only heard about this show a few months ago and I've never watched it but the way things are developing I can't see how the show will continue.

The one story I read suggests that if A&E suspends the show altogether they may sue the family for lost revenue... obviously that's dependant on what kind of contract they have.

I only heard about this show a few months ago and I've never watched it but the way things are developing I can't see how the show will continue.

The one story I read suggests that if A&E suspends the show altogether they may sue the family for lost revenue... obviously that's dependant on what kind of contract they have.

It's a funny show, I enjoyed the few episodes I did watch. I really liked Phil as well. I'm not against people having their own opinions, if he was still on the show, would I watch it? Maybe. Even though I don't agree with what he said and shouldn't have said it in an awful way.

They were on a huge come up, they were literally everywhere. I don't think the show being cancelled will be a big loss for the family at first, they got crazy rich with their duck calls before the show came along. However, when all this money runs out they won't be bringing so much in because a lot of people will not buy anything of theirs anymore. It will be just like Paula Deen. Their brand is going to spiral down.