Phil Robertson vs. Paula Deen

I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We can't live in a world where we walk on eggshells. However, when you say something you KNOW is going to be controversial, that's just plain stupid. A lot of people who are bigoted or close-minded are a product of their environment, they simply just don't know any better, or different. That's not a pass for them, they don't just get to be that way without consequences. I'm just saying that because of the way they grew up, and never having left the place where they're from, they don't understand the world outside their own.

For me, it's hard because I definitely don't agree at all with what he said, but I also think that he should be allowed to voice his opinion. He's allowed to think and believe whatever he wants.
Right. And his employer has the right to say that it doesn't want those views associated with its company. As others have noted, he hasn't been hauled off to jail for his thoughts and beliefs, so his First Amendment rights haven't been violated. What has happened is that a company has taken measures not to have this particular person associated with its brand.

I guess I'm not understanding why this guy seems to have so much more support than some of the others. People are shooting more barbs at A&E than they did the Food Channel.

When things like this happen and receive so much attention I always feel so out of touch with the world! I've never seen this show and don't know anyone who watches it. I didn't know they had merchandise. Same thing with Paula Deen.

The only time I really heard about them , a few years ago,before they were as big as they are now, one of the cast( I don't know who ) was going to be eating at a restaurant in my city. He made a big deal about having a private table and not having people approach him. I thought it was funny that he acted like such a celebrity given their "down home" image.

You're allowed to say what you want and you're employer is allowed to suspend/fire you if they feel it's offensive or creating a hostile work environment. The average person can't walk into their office and say these type of things without consequences. It's really no different.

Yep. My company revamped there "employee communication" policy to put this in writing. Even if you are not speaking on behalf of the company (but doing something personal/on your own), if an association can be made of your relationship with our company, you can face reprimands or be fired if the company finds issue with what was said or done.

I do not see what all the uproar against A&E is about. If A&E wants to suspend him or scrap the whole show, then that is their right.

There is no secret that the Robertsons are very devout Christians born and raised in the Bible Belt, so Phil's views on homosexuality are of no surprise to me.

When things like this happen and receive so much attention I always feel so out of touch with the world! I've never seen this show and don't know anyone who watches it. I didn't know they had merchandise. Same thing with Paula Deen.

The only time I really heard about them , a few years ago,before they were as big as they are now, one of the cast( I don't know who ) was going to be eating at a restaurant in my city. He made a big deal about having a private table and not having people approach him. I thought it was funny that he acted like such a celebrity given their "down home" image.

I don't watch TV so I don't know the shows either just the way the news portrays the people in them. Kind of glad I don't.

oh jeez....

CHARLIE SHEEN TO PHIL ROBERTSON
APOLOGIZE ...
Or Face a 'Masheen Style Media Beatdown'

Charlie Sheen just WENT OFF on "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson -- threatening to unleash a monstrous media attack on the reality star ... unless he makes amends with gay people.

Sheen posted the long diatribe on Twitter ... and quickly put Phil on notice saying, "just when your desperately sub evolved *** thought the pressure was off, you are now in the crosshairs of a MaSheen style media beat down."

Charlie claims he's only voicing his opinion out of the blue for one reason ... to stick up for all his gay friends whose voices are not as powerful.

The letter is filled with classic Sheenism's -- like calling Phil a "shower-dodger", something about Charlie whittling his "cosmic banjo" ... and even a "news flash" for old times sake.
Click hear to read the full statement ...

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2oAOqwOYc

'Duck Dynasty'
Didn't Want to Diss Gay Employees
By Keeping Phil on Show

Phil Robertson disrespected gay employees at A&E ... and THAT'S why he was sacked from "Duck Dynasty" ... sources connected with the network tell TMZ.

We're told A&E CEO Nancy Dubuc felt she could not in good conscience ask gay employees to kill themselves for a show when he disrespected them by calling them sinners.

Our sources say ... gay employees involved in the production -- and there are a number of them -- were outraged by Phil's comments to GQ and wanted Dubuc to give him the ax.

We're told Dubuc felt this way ... If Phil had made similar comments about African Americans or Jews ... there would have been a public outcry for his head. She felt it was just plain wrong not to have the same sense of indignation when the comments were directed at gays.

Our sources say GLAAD was heavily involved in lobbying the network to 86 Phil, and they had an impact.

As for TMZ's criticism that A&E knew full well what it was getting with Phil when they hired him ... as one source put it, "He just took it too far with GQ ... especially with the coarse language."

Our sources say A&E is adamant -- this has nothing to do with being "anti-religion." Fact is ... the network runs lots of religious programming, notably, Mark Burnett's "The Bible."

The CEO is paying the price. We're told she's been receiving death threats.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2oAQGRc7r

I don't support racist or homophobic remarks made by anyone...esp. when based on religion (that's all I'll say about that!) so I couldn't care less that they are in the crossfire.

I watch the show from time to time and it's funny. Ironically the show has really blown up and their merch is all over the place and I know it might sound bad but in the back of my mind I often wondered what is going to be the thing that brings them down. Most families that do a reality show seem to have some sort of big downfall after being on air it just seems to be a part of the package of doing a reality show. I don't agree with his statements but he has a right to voice them. And he should know at his age that their are repercussions to what you do/say and I'm sure in his contract with A&E they have the right to terminate him at any time for anything he dose while representing their show that is offensive/reflect poorly on A&E. My next thought was where the heck was his publicist when they did this interview, I mean he's obviously doing PR to promote teh show/brand. How could this slip by them are they are clearly not doing their job? I know the family is supporting him and are refusing to do the show with out him. I agree with suncitystyle the show will most likely end up being cancelled.