Pharrell's new collaboration has finally been announced!

Are we comparing now....ok you're totally right.........
pharrell.jpg

pharell1.jpg

NOT :P

lilkim2.jpg

lilkim1.jpg
thank you LABEL, of course they would look for the most awful pics and bypass all of his other stylish pictures.
http://www.papierdoll.net/fashion.php?ID=145
lil kim not so much, I still like her music though.

I like Pharrell Williams but I dont think a collaboration between Louis Vuitton and him was a good idea, its really going down a wrong track. Louis Vuitton is a fashion house and their lines are supposed to be designed by artists/designers...not Hiphop or any other music artists unless they have a fashion degree or have claimed some type of huge importance in the fashion world.

I cant see Hermes teaming up with lil Kim to make a line of LE Birkins so why should LV be any different ?. KWIM ?

I'll have to disagree with this statement. Firstly, who is to say that LV is "supposed" to have a specific type of designer? Louis Vuitton has been extremely influential in the hip hop community and I think its only right that we (supporters of the hip hop cummunity) have a role in the fashion industry. We spend a lot of money, just like anybody else and giving us a chance, in my opinion, is a great marketing strategy.
Pharrell is extremely successful in the music industry, as well as in the fashion industry. The millionaire glasses were a huge success and I feel that that Louis Vuitton is making great strides by collaborating with him. I also look forward to seeing Kanye (who is part of the hip hop community and an avid fan of Louis Vuitton) take part in designing for Louis Vuitton someday!

I disagree because what has PW achieved in the fashion world ??, Couture does not come to mind, a pair of Louis Vuitton sunglasses is the biggest achievement I can possibly think of. Louis Vuitton is a Couture brand and you are right Louis Vuitton has a style for everyone but I also disagree about the price because LV has never made a bag for $50 and I know people who think $50 is alot.

Louis Vuitton's history goes so far back and it can be compared to Hermes, Chanel etc. and none of these brands have used any rap artists so why should LV when its one of the best. I dont think this is the right image for LV, luxury, classy and historic french brand that is now spoiled IMO by such celeb and rap/hiphop artists who have no fashion degree and no experience. This is just another thing for PW to say he has done.

1) As for what PW has achieved, I'd say go look in the closet of any under 20 year old - just 3 things I can think of offhand that he's contributed to the fashion milieu are vivid colorplay, scarves and the twinning of urban and skateboard looks. (the Fall 07 Balenciaga show is a good example of how low/street style has gone high) I'd also advise you to look at PW's ICE CREAM and BBC lines. While he probably isn't doing the sketches and fitting the models he does serve as an editor and sounding board and final authority. I'd also suggest that you research A Bathing Ape, his line with Nigo.

2) As far as price point is concerned, I agree everything is relative. LV doesn't have any 50 purses but it does have "reasonable" things like the extenders/keychains, pochette etc.

3) As far as what other houses do LV has always been innovative and creative and hiphop is the same so it seems fairly obvious that they'd go hand in hand. LV was the first to collaborate with designers/artists and the first to get a guest designer. It has lead to record breaking profit margins and a scramble by all the other houses to keep up. BTW, LV has collaborated with hiphop artists before; I suggest you google Grandmaster Flash and Louis Vuitton and check out the very cool DJ case he collaborated on. Also Lagerfeld has designed a hiphop influenced collection for Chanel and so has Gaultier the head designer for Hermes.

I thought my point was obvious, in that this is just a continuation of the houses evolution - just remove Isaac Mizrahi and replace with PW. In other words, times change and whereas fashion designers were the style arbiters of the past, celebrities are the style arbiters of the present. PW is a global celebrity, helms 3 successful lines and his collaboration will generate publicity and excitement, as well as increase the bottom line which is LVMH's primary concern. We all take our cues from each other whether it's simply to say she looks good or he doesn't and this a simply a reflection of the interplay of various styles.

Nope, never ever. I've heard of Kanye West and Lil Kim etc but I swear that I have never heard his name before. Then again, I'm not into Hip Hop or celebrities particularly...

1) As for what PW has achieved, I'd say go look in the closet of any under 20 year old - just 3 things I can think of offhand that he's contributed to the fashion milieu are vivid colorplay, scarves and the twinning of urban and skateboard looks. (the Fall 07 Balenciaga show is a good example of how low/street style has gone high) I'd also advise you to look at PW's ICE CREAM and BBC lines. While he probably isn't doing the sketches and fitting the models he does serve as an editor and sounding board and final authority. I'd also suggest that you research A Bathing Ape, his line with Nigo.

2) As far as price point is concerned, I agree everything is relative. LV doesn't have any 50 purses but it does have "reasonable" things like the extenders/keychains, pochette etc.

3) As far as what other houses do LV has always been innovative and creative and hiphop is the same so it seems fairly obvious that they'd go hand in hand. LV was the first to collaborate with designers/artists and the first to get a guest designer. It has lead to record breaking profit margins and a scramble by all the other houses to keep up. BTW, LV has collaborated with hiphop artists before; I suggest you google Grandmaster Flash and Louis Vuitton and check out the very cool DJ case he collaborated on. Also Lagerfeld has designed a hiphop influenced collection for Chanel and so has Gaultier the head designer for Hermes.

I thought my point was obvious, in that this is just a continuation of the houses evolution - just remove Isaac Mizrahi and replace with PW. In other words, times change and whereas fashion designers were the style arbiters of the past, celebrities are the style arbiters of the present. PW is a global celebrity, helms 3 successful lines and his collaboration will generate publicity and excitement, as well as increase the bottom line which is LVMH's primary concern. We all take our cues from each other whether it's simply to say she looks good or he doesn't and this a simply a reflection of the interplay of various styles.

1) I disagree, those styles were in well before he had come along and we are talking couture fashions here, not street fashions, btw - he also has a stylist who choses his clothes. PW's lines and other he has designed for IMO are very similar, the lines are not couture fashion houses which LV is and LV has major history. I cant see everyone liking his lines, maybe they will be nice but I for one dont agree with LV using him as a designer when there are so many designers/artists and celebs who have contributed to fashion more than PW's.

2) You say that some things are reasonably prices but that is a matter of opinion because to some people an LV key holder is expensive and un-affordable. Not everyone thinks that the accessories are cheap.

3) I knew about this but this was a one off, Pharells designs are now going to be a "Line" - this means alot of a product and variety within it. So Its not just a one off.

I have read your post and you do have some valid points but were does this end ?, fashion does keep moving but are we supposed to not have fashion designers ?. It kills the point of fashion all together, Celebrity/hip/hop starts have their own place in industry and fashion isnt it. I love Louis Vuitton and it is one of my favourite brands but if designers are replaced with celebrities then there is no point me buying it because Im buying a celebrity name and not a designer name. I also know of PW's line, Im not ignorant to fashion, I also study Fashion.

Also another person said that they like that PW's is designing for LV because he loves it and they hope that Kanye is soon involved in designing too. But ALOT of celeb's love Vuitton, I could name many but Jessica simpson comes to mind, why isnt she designing, she loves fashion too. Not that I would want her to design but it does ask the question of why cant everyone who loves LV design for it LOL.

And as far as PW being a Global success...I beg to differ because I have known of other people who have not known of him and one of the above posts proves that is just true. :smile:

LOL thanks for posting this...Proves something, Pharrell williams isnt a worldwide superstar some people think he is. :tup:

Hehe lol, I just asked 4 of my friends that are online on MSN if they had heard of Pharrell Williams, 2 of them hadn't heard of him, and of the other two, neither knew straight away who it was, one was like "oh ummm... you mean that 'singer'?" and another was like "ummm...is that one of the guys in N.E.R.D?". And we are all teenagers that listen to music, and none of us live under a rock :biggrin:

Hehe lol, I just asked 4 of my friends that are online on MSN if they had heard of Pharrell Williams, 2 of them hadn't heard of him, and of the other two, neither knew straight away who it was, one was like "oh ummm... you mean that 'singer'?" and another was like "ummm...is that one of the guys in N.E.R.D?". And we are all teenagers that listen to music, and none of us live under a rock :biggrin:

Im a teenager too (late teens LOL) and I also listen to music but I do listen to Hip/hop alot so I did know who he was but I do know of quite a few people, especially when I was In high school who didnt know who he is. I think also hes very big in America and although hes maybe a celeb in other places hes not as successfull as in America. :smile: