Pewter Crash & The Stock Market Crash

You are so right Glamourgirl, we are blessed with health, family and love. I need to focus more on that than the finances and economy. I am in SC. There are problems with the gas shortage just in the south east: NC, SC and GA. I think TN might have some problems too. As for the SUV, I have a smaller SUV but honeslty I need a bigger one, I can hardly fit my family in the car we have now. But with the way the economy is right now I don't think a new car is in our future any time soon or a house unfortunately. Before the crisis we were looking to move but I hear you can't even get a lone right now so moving is out for now.:crybaby:

My sister is in Atlanta, GA and she has been telling me about the gas shortage - scary stuff. Isn't it nice to come here and support each other in a time of crisis, though? I just started back to work full time and for the last month, things had been ridiculously tight, tighter than even before. If anything, it brought me and DH closer but we definitely had our share of panic attacks, as I'm sure many across the US is having also. The one thing we DID realize was that we cannot always depend on our corporate/day jobs, so we started a home based business, for extra $$ and as a backup (plus, it's fun!) - so far so good and it definitely helps with gas and grocery money! (and perhaps a little BE SS money too!)

annvaldivia -- I would love to do a home based business to supplement my income.. what kind of home business did you start? Any recommendations? thanks

I thought I'd revive this thread since we are still seeing so much uncertainty in the financial markets. I know many of us are experiencing a bit of a 'bespoke high' right now but I wonder how some of us are adjusting our habits.

I consider buying a BE to be the one ultra high-quality item I purchase for myself. It is my reward for being the mom/chauffeur/maid/household CEO/teddy-bear finder/laundromat/nurse/counselor, etc... I've loved handbags since I was a girl but I have never owned anything so well made and timeless as a BE bag. I also am a bargain hunter in almost every other area of my life--drugstore makeup, discount clothing, outlet shopping whenever possible--so this is the one thing I see as a real value (and treat) for me. I buy BE because I appreciate the quality and beauty and actually enjoy the fact that most other people don't know this brand when they see it. People know it from its beauty and design, not from the brand itself.

I will admit that this uncertainty has made me even more aware of those small, incidental purchases, and I think that's a good thing. I think being a mindful consumer means purchasing what you truly love and value and finding other shortcuts to afford those things without having any debt. It's just nice to have one thing that you know was made by artisans by hand. I've never had that experience before.

Of course, I can see how easy it is to get caught up in all the excitement right now. It has taken all the strength I have not to order more things right now. We could turn into a bunch of drunk sailors handing our credit cards over to Jackie!:nuts:

As the stock market goes up and down and up and down down down, and as a single Mother...I have had to really settle on priorities. College tuition, dwindling retirement savings... I have some wonderful BE's to see me through the crisis. And when things calm down, and maybe a sale comes along...you can bet I'll be there. But for now, I'm enjoying all you ladies and the wonderful high of your bespokes.

Totally buckling down here with no bag buying until well into next year. With all of the financial uncertainty, I just can't afford any new bags as I could put the money towards my medical school loans or saving up for when we start a family. Plus, my husband and I have to move in 8 months for my fellowship so I have the anxiety of trying to sell our house and finding an affordable house in the Boston area. It really is a big change from how the past couple of years have been, but I try to see it as a growing experience. Though I love all of you ladies, I found that I have to limit my time on the Purse Forum in order to keep my bag ban as I have very poor self control.

Totally buckling down here with no bag buying until well into next year. With all of the financial uncertainty, I just can't afford any new bags as I could put the money towards my medical school loans or saving up for when we start a family. Plus, my husband and I have to move in 8 months for my fellowship so I have the anxiety of trying to sell our house and finding an affordable house in the Boston area. It really is a big change from how the past couple of years have been, but I try to see it as a growing experience. Though I love all of you ladies, I found that I have to limit my time on the Purse Forum in order to keep my bag ban as I have very poor self control.

You sound like you've got a lot going on right now! I understand about limiting time on TPF--sometimes there are just too many temptations here. It is nice to check in now and then, though, just to keep up with everyone. What is your concentration of study in med school?

Thanks for your support! It's so hard to stay away though as I have grown really fond of so many members here over the past few years. I actually have already graduated from medical school and am finishing up my last year of residency in Neurology. I'm going to do additional training over the next few years in Neuro-oncology

Thanks for your support! It's so hard to stay away though as I have grown really fond of so many members here over the past few years. I actually have already graduated from medical school and am finishing up my last year of residency in Neurology. I'm going to do additional training over the next few years in Neuro-oncology

Neurology? Outstanding! That residency isn't for sissies, is it? My BIN is a doctor, and I still remember stories of his residency. Very intense time. What you are doing is very important--I imagine you'll touch countless lives throughout your career.:tup:

And, every now and then, you should celebrate that success with a BE bag!:graucho:

I know that a lot of ladies have started connecting via Facebook so that they aren't so tempted by all the goodies here on TPF. That's one way to do it, although with your schedule, I imagine you don't have much time to log on anyway!

So, how is everyone feeling about the economy right now? Did it affect your choices in the bespoke process?

I'm very cautious now because of all of the turmoil in the world markets. During the past month, I've restricted my purchases to only sale purchases but I think I'm going on a total ban.

I did connect in a way to the article that Bali Girl posted because my taste in bags has evolved since becoming a member of TPF. I used to love LV and I'm still a fan but the quality of their bags are suspect. Now, I'm into really classic leather bags - I can't afford the exotic skins quite yet - instead of the trendy bag of the moment. That's partially what drew me to BE, I wanted a cute leather bag with enduring style although I may eventually succumb to my LV impulses. I want that watercolor speedy bad but I can't see myself spending over $1000 for a bag with little or no leather.