Pets in food stores

In Starbucks the rule is no pets unless they're assistance animals.

We have had people come in and stand in line holding their dog. They get their drink and leave. They don't stay and they don't put the dog down.

Part of me thinks that maybe, if people are going to do that, they should leave the dog in the (zipped up) carrier.

I get that people take their dogs into cafes and restaurants in France, but we're not there yet.

Only assistance animals should be allowed in food stores, restaurants and all other stores. The only places pets should be allowed is pet stores.

I'm sorry but it's very unsanitary and some people are severely allergic to pet dander.

US - in Connecticut

I maybe a non-pet person but that woman was picking up food, posing with the dog and her food in the same hand and then putting the food back on the shelves, letting the dog lick her fingers and then touching the (wrapped, I know) food....I do draw the line at getting dog saliva on my fingers when picking up food!

I do understand people can argue back by saying who knows how many people touch the food on the shelves that don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom, but what was happening in the store was something that in my opinion was totally unnecessary.

It sounds like the owner made the bad judgment of letting the dog lick her fingers before handling food items, but thats not the pup's fault.

I would be repulsed if an animal or a human licked their paws or fingers and then touched food in a grocery store.

Only assistance animals should be allowed in food stores, restaurants and all other stores. The only places pets should be allowed is pet stores.

I'm sorry but it's very unsanitary and some people are severely allergic to pet dander.

You made the point I was thinking of...allergies. Plus, a lot of people are seriously afraid of dogs. Encountering a dog where one wouldn't normally expect to could be very difficult.

Last...but not least....there is a safety/liability issue. What if the dog bit someone? Don't get me wrong....I love dogs and miss my dear German Shepherd greatly since he died...but even normally well-behaved dogs can sometimes have the unexpected reaction of snapping at someone...especially in an unfamiliar or chaotic environment.

I've noticed a growing trend of people pulling a Paris Hilton and bringing their dogs everywhere...whether appropriate or not. I think people who do this are selfish, thinking only of themselves and not the rest of the patrons.

Yuck! It's illegal here too (not sure if it's a state or county law).

We take our parrot with us to a few stores but we never go in places that sell food. We usually take him places like Lowe's or Home Depot... and it's just to keep him well socialized.

Home Depot here (Massachusetts) has a no Pets sign now. Maybe because they have a Dunkin Donuts in the store?

The only place Reg gets to go in now is Pet Smart or PetCo. (and my car dealer - they like dogs)

I agree that pets don't really belong in grocery stores....I have to admit though, one time I had my 5 pound Chi in her Gucci dog carrier/shoulder bag and she had her little head poking out while I waited in the To- Go/Pick-Up line at Chipotle (Mexican fast food) and I got kicked out. I understood though, the only reason I had her with me in her bag was because it was 100 degrees outside. I had to go to the Mc D's drive thru that day instead!