Petite Girls and Big Bags

1. Nordstrom Winter Sale Now Until February 24, Save Up To 40% With Free Shipping and Free Returns. SHOP NOW
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I usually tend to stray away from bigger bags, i'm 5'1 and 110 lbs and I usually feel like most roomy bags make me look like a child playing dress up. Does anyone else feels like this?

2. To each their own, but personally, I believe bags just like everything else in your wardrobe, should compliment our figures. All should be taken into consideration: strap length, an east-west vs vertical bag, it should be occasion appropriate and of course it should serve its purpose (nano bags can be cute, but if I don’t have at least a pocket to put my phone and that bag is unflattering on me, it won’t have a place in my closet).
    I think if the proportions are right, everyone has a maximum and a minimum bag size they can wear before they start to look unflattering. What that is only you will know when you try them on

starbucksqueen likes this.
  3. I'm 5'3 and heavier than the OP. So it's not just about height. I also have a curvier figure so that I don't get "lost" next to the bag. Do have a funny story: I l once carried a large Coach duffle to work and my co-worker told me that I looked like I was running away from home! LOL.
    If I need to carry a larger bag, I do. Since I don't have a car and rely on mass transit, I end up carrying more things than someone who is taking their car. When it comes to real life, I don't think the rules are written in stone.

4. I'm 5'2" and just under 100 lbs and I love big bags. There's limit of course and shape is a consideration (hobos for the most part, anything too east west looks ridiculous). Most of my bags are north/south and unstructured. Strap length is also a consideration as even a small bag on a too long strap looks wrong, at least on me. Its all about proportion rather than size IMHO.

Shelby33 and starbucksqueen like this.
  5. I am petite and I have some bigger bags. Honestly, sometimes a smaller bag just looks too small. You have to try on the bag and see what is right for your figure. Petite girls are not all built the same way. I had to return a Louis Vuitton Alma BB because it looked ridiculously small. I have a Hermès Kelly 35 which is usually too large for most people. But I usually wear 4 or 5 inch heels, am large in the boobish area, and small everywhere else, so larger bags sometimes work for me. There is, however, a limit. A big hobo is not flattering on me. I probably don’t need a bag that big anyway though.

6. I tend to agree with @blondissima777’s comments. Handbags are no different than coats, boots, hats, etc. IMHO they should
    scale to the size of the wearer. The only obvious expeditions being when size is necessary for function. A teeny person still needs a laptop bag or suitcase big enough to fit their functional contents. And a big person may way to wear a teeny bag for ease.

That being said, my DD is 5’ tall and slender (she’s an active runner / weight trainer with very small bones) and she looks great in a number of bags that I see other petite girls say are too much - like Chanel Jumbos or totes roomy enough to carry a laptop, change of clothing and extras.

So, I think bag size is about the bag, the person, their taste and their confidence.

Wear what looks good on you. ‘Nuff said.

NOIRetMoi likes this.
  7. I'm 5' 110 and I love big bags! I don't know how it really looks, but I think I look great haha!

8. #8 Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    I am very petite i prefer nothing bigger than a medium sized bag, i want to wear the bag not the other way 'round lol.

Of coarse no actual "laws" on it, folks wear what they please but i definitely lean on the smaller side for bags even a medium sized bag looks bigger on me ... many crossbodies wouldn't even shorten enough to wear comfortably either.

Anisa96 likes this.
  9. I am 5ft2 and I tend to prefer small to medium bags. I have started to toy with mini bags too, although it depends on what I am carrying. I tend to avoid big bags or totes as I feel they look oversized on me.

Anisa96 likes this.