PETA demonstrates on the Champs Elyesee

Shock value is sometimes what it takes in order to get a point across. People love to think these animals are killed in a sweet loving way, but they are not.
I have no problem with using leather goods, the way I see it, the world eats so much beef that the skin has got to be used somehow.

But to kill animals just for their skin sickens me.

^^I couldn't agree more:crybaby:.

Shock value is sometimes what it takes in order to get a point across. People love to think these animals are killed in a sweet loving way, but they are not.
I have no problem with using leather goods, the way I see it, the world eats so much beef that the skin has got to be used somehow.

I completely agree!:yes:
btw, the pics aren't showing up for me, is there another place where they are?

But to kill animals just for their skin sickens me

Amen to that!!

People who wear fur need to be told of where it comes from, and sometimes this is what it takes for people to realise what a vile and cruel trade it is.

Yes, for people to wear their mink coat, the poor animal is farmed, kept in tiny cages and then killed, hmm yes don't you just love the thought of that. Its disgusting.

Seriously, this trade needs to be stopped and if that protest stopped even a few people from buying a fur bag/ coat then thats brilliant.

^ I totally agree with you 100% Pursefanatic. Unfortunately many people don't seem to pay attention (or worse..care at all) as to how their fur bags/coats were obtained. So very sad indeed. :crybaby:

As far as I'm concerned, this demonstration has caught our attention and resulted in us discussing why people should not buy fur...sounds like success to me! :P (even though the sight of those women scared me a little)

People who wear fur need to be told of where it comes from, and sometimes this is what it takes for people to realise what a vile and cruel trade it is.

Yes, for people to wear their mink coat, the poor animal is farmed, kept in tiny cages and then killed, hmm yes don't you just love the thought of that. Its disgusting.

Seriously, this trade needs to be stopped and if that protest stopped even a few people from buying a fur bag/ coat then thats brilliant.

How is this different to, say, chickens and pigs that are farmed, kept in tiny cages and killed for our consumption? I just don't really see how what you're point out makes people who wear mink coats any worse than people who eat chicken and pork. Or are you disgusted by people that eat meat as well? :shrugs:

*side note: this is my 1000th post!* :yahoo: :P

I do not wear fur (I gave away my late mother's black mink coat) but then for the shallowest of reasons: Fur adds 20 to you (20 years and 20kgs!) unless you are an 18yr old and 1m90.

I love animals but that is beside the point since I eat meat, buy leather and love foie gras.

If I were genuinely interested in the animal welfare, I would hate to have these people defending my ideas. I remember the ex wife of Paul McCartney defending PETA :Push:. Please, change your act, if you think yours is a worthwile cause. You are gaining more enemies that friends.

I eat foie gras and feel no guilt. That the production of foie gras involves cruelty is a vicious lie that thrives on the ignorance of the public.

EDIT: I don't think PETA stands solely against fur. In fact, I'm guessing that this is just as much a protest of leather goods as anything else. Would you give up your leather bags and other goods? Where does one draw the line? What if leather is, in some cases, farmed in the same manner as fur?

Thank you, you've said it better than I can.

Once again, I don't support the fur trade - my furkids (two chinchillas) love their fur where it is - on their backs! But, that is just my opinion.... of course if I see a huge chinchilla fur coat or bag it makes me shudder, but I'm not going to go out like PETA does and get negative attention. I guess they figure any attention is good attention..

EDIT: I don't think PETA stands solely against fur. In fact, I'm guessing that this is just as much a protest of leather goods as anything else. Would you give up your leather bags and other goods? Where does one draw the line? What if leather is, in some cases, farmed in the same manner as fur?
PETA, as an organisation, is against all use of dead animal biproducts. Feel free to visit their website.

Allthough I think that animals treated badly is awful, I know for sure not all fur farmers treat their animals cruelly and I know that many cattle and chicken and other farmers sometimes treat their animals very cruelly. IMHO I don't think the argument "all fur is wrong" simply because someone has a furry friend at home or for whatever reason holds much value at all.