Home & Garden pet hair vacuums - do they help with people's hair?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
We have a cat but the major issue around here is my hair. It's long and thick. It gets wound up in the vacuum. Would the vacuums designed for pet hair (Dyson has one and Costco has one on sale right now made by Bissell) help with people hair?

I looked up reviews on the Bissell. A couple of people said it was great - no hair wrapping around the roller. One person said it was no different - hair still wrapped around. Would still like to hear from long haired people here.
thanks

I looked up reviews on the Bissell. A couple of people said it was great - no hair wrapping around the roller. One person said it was no different - hair still wrapped around. Would still like to hear from long haired people here.
thanks
I have the Dyson and long hair. Yes your hair will still get wrapped up in the roller on the underside of the vacuum and you will have to clear it out every once in a while. Any vacuum that has a brush roller is going to get long hair wrapped around it. It's really not that big of a deal. I can tell when it needs cleaning when my dog hair isn't getting picked up as quickly as it should by the vacuum. To be fair, I have three dogs and one is a German Shepard who constantly sheds. I probably have to de-hair my vacuum once every two months. I hope that helps.

i have long, thick, straight hair that definitely gets wrapped around my dyson's roller. i use scissors to cut it and pull it out every now and then. i've been using a roomba for 1 level for the past few months, and every now and then i pull the excess hair out of the brush, but it's actually not so bad.

i have long, thick, straight hair that definitely gets wrapped around my dyson's roller. i use scissors to cut it and pull it out every now and then. i've been using a roomba for 1 level for the past few months, and every now and then i pull the excess hair out of the brush, but it's actually not so bad.
My sister has a roomba and asked me why I'd want to vacuum when I can get the roomba to do it. I guess I have a hard time believing it would do the job. also pretty expensive

My sister has a roomba and asked me why I'd want to vacuum when I can get the roomba to do it. I guess I have a hard time believing it would do the job. also pretty expensive

i wasn't keen on getting a roomba but ended up giving it a try when i saw a good black friday sale. now i'm obsessed because there's no way i would vacuum everyday to get all the dog hair. i bought the 880, which isn't that bad compared to buying a nice dyson anyways.

i wasn't keen on getting a roomba but ended up giving it a try when i saw a good black friday sale. now i'm obsessed because there's no way i would vacuum everyday to get all the dog hair. i bought the 880, which isn't that bad compared to buying a nice dyson anyways.
now you have be thinking....would these do better in an open floor plan? our current house is old and not open...new house more open
Review I saw said it takes 25 minutes per room. Do you set yours up for a time when you're leaving the house so you don't have to listen to the noise?

now you have be thinking....would these do better in an open floor plan? our current house is old and not open...new house more open
Review I saw said it takes 25 minutes per room. Do you set yours up for a time when you're leaving the house so you don't have to listen to the noise?

We have a townhouse that is about 30 years old and use the roomba on our upper floor where the bedrooms and bathrooms are. To cover 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (and obviously the hallway), it takes about 45-60 minutes. Yes, we have it set for midday during the week and then afternoon/early evening on weekends. Our dog avoided it at first because it's noisier than I had anticipated, but now she doesn't mind it and will still sleep in bed as the roomba runs.

We plan to buy another roomba for the other levels once our remodel is finished, and I suppose the clean time will be about the same even though it's more open.

Reactions: sdkitty
We have a townhouse that is about 30 years old and use the roomba on our upper floor where the bedrooms and bathrooms are. To cover 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (and obviously the hallway), it takes about 45-60 minutes. Yes, we have it set for midday during the week and then afternoon/early evening on weekends. Our dog avoided it at first because it's noisier than I had anticipated, but now she doesn't mind it and will still sleep in bed as the roomba runs.

We plan to buy another roomba for the other levels once our remodel is finished, and I suppose the clean time will be about the same even though it's more open.
We have new freshly painted white oversized baseboard moulding. DH is concerned that Roomba might bump into the base moulding and leave marks. Any experience with this?
thanks

We have new freshly painted white oversized baseboard moulding. DH is concerned that Roomba might bump into the base moulding and leave marks. Any experience with this?
thanks
i had the same concern, but so far so good! i saw a hack where you can attach velcro strips around the roomba (with the soft side facing out) to minimize noise and scuffing. haven't tried it, but i thought it was such a good idea. i will say that it also hits furniture legs a lot, so just be sure the legs are sturdy, and you should be fine.

i had the same concern, but so far so good! i saw a hack where you can attach velcro strips around the roomba (with the soft side facing out) to minimize noise and scuffing. haven't tried it, but i thought it was such a good idea. i will say that it also hits furniture legs a lot, so just be sure the legs are sturdy, and you should be fine.
more concerned about that white base moulding than the furniture
thanks

I have a Dyson Animal, 3 cats, and long hair. The vacuum picks up everything. My hair gets wrapped around the roller part, and I pull or cut it off almost every time I vacuum so that the next time I vacuum, it will start with a clean roller with no hair on it. I would recommend that vacuum to anyone with pet hair or long hair!