pet dish - non skid?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
the home we used to live in had a built-in kitchen desk and we kept our cat dishes under there. Now we don't have an arrangement like that and I'm finding that the dishes can get pushed around. light plastic dish is the worst. a heavier ceramic dish seems better. there is also non-skid. I bought one of those and the little feet came off within a few days. bought another one (stainless) which has a much larger rubber surface and that's better.

so - non-skid or just heavy ceramic?

I like this Chewy one but it might be kinda small
FRISCO Cat Face Non-skid Ceramic Cat Bowl, Blue, 1.25 Cup - Chewy.com

Have you looked at pet bowl stands or holders on etsy? There are a couple of retired gentlemen in our neighborhood who custom-make them for about $30-$40 and sell them on etsy and Nextdoor.com. I'd guess there are woodworker hobbyists all over the country who are doing this.

I've bought Max & Neo Non-Skid Rubber-Bottom Bowls. They've held up well and don't slide around the floor.

Reactions: sdkitty
I've decided that the cats and I both like a bowl with a round, rather than flat bottom. and if the dish is heavy enough it doesn't seem to slide around. we have a few of these but they are not specifically designed for cats. will look for a a cute cat dish. as far as the stands I figured it would be more work picking them and cleaning under them. guess I'm lazy.

I use this one, it's wide to provide space for whiskers and has a non-slip mat "coaster" https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Catsby-Fr...ocphy=9030886&hvtargid=pla-305563093642&psc=1
thanks....looks nice but I bought a stainless dish for them and they don't seem to like it
seems odd but my cats seem to have preferences for bowls.....I have a blue ceramic one and I noticed my boy would go where that bowl is to eat as opposed to eating in "his spot"
IDK why - color preference?

this whole bowl thing started because one of the cats bowls was plastic and it kept getting moved around. so I decided a heavier ceramic one would do. got this one. someone online had said their cat wouldn't eat out of it - was afraid due to the shape. sure enough, when I put it down my two approached it with caution. but my girl did eventually eat out of it.

1626450420345.png

Whisker fatigue when eating is supposedly a frustration or can cause discomfort for some cats. Some cats may prefer wider, flatter bowls or a plate.

how would you id whisker fatigue? just by their bowl preference?
Yeah, that's my guess. Google whisker fatigue if you haven't already. That could be why some cats dislike eating from bowls.

My cat used a bowl but I noticed she would pick up one kibble at a time and move her head away from the bowl to chew it. I got the Dr. Catsby's whisker relief bowl I linked to above and she now eats directly over the bowl.

Yeah, that's my guess. Google whisker fatigue if you haven't already. That could be why some cats dislike eating from bowls.

My cat used a bowl but I noticed she would pick up one kibble at a time and move her head away from the bowl to chew it. I got the Dr. Catsby's whisker relief bowl I linked to above and she now eats directly over the bowl.
my cats do sometimes seem to take food out of the bowl, drop it and then eat it
maybe I'll try feeding them on a flat plate as an experiment

my cats do sometimes seem to take food out of the bowl, drop it and then eat it
maybe I'll try feeding them on a flat plate as an experiment
I give Pasha’s wet food on a plate. He seems to prefer that. With a bowl, his neck and cheek hairs get so wet and messy. I have not found a bowl to fit these cheek hairs :lol: (he’s fine with his dry in a bowl though, go figure lol)

8EDF6D06-62D6-452A-A247-0EA8C2BF94D8.jpeg