Peruvian surfing cat is making waves

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
(Telegraph)

By Tom Chivers

Last Updated: 6:20pm GMT 04/02/2008

Sporting animals are nothing new - horseracing, polo and other equestrian classics notwithstanding, recent years have seen YouTube's famous skateboarding dog and a sports-mad pigeon trying a little too hard to get involved in baseball.

A surfing cat, however, is something different.

Domingo Pianezzi, of Lima, Peru, believes that his small cat Nicolasa enjoys catching tubes almost as much as catching mice.

This unexpected feline pastime was apparently discovered when Domingo took Nicolasa to Lima's San Bartolo beach and the young moggy leapt on board.

It has even been suggested by some commentators that she might have what it takes to turn pro - after all, her technique here is excellent, "hanging ten" with all claws hooked round the edge of the board.

However, an alternative theory might be that, since once she is out on the water the only dry place is on top of the surfboard, Nicolasa is not so much surfing as hanging on like grim death.

Attachments

• cat6.jpg
    cat6.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 27
  • cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 18
  • cat1.jpg
    cat1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 34
  • cat5.jpg
    cat5.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 27
  • cat4.jpg
    cat4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 18
After all, even given the most charitable interpretation of this photo, most observers would be hard-pressed to say that she looks like she's enjoying herself.

Attachments

• cat3.jpg
    cat3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 46
She is adorable and some cats do like water. I have 4 Maine Coons that are happy to jump in the tub if at all possible. I don't think they would enjoy surfing though. She doesn't look very happy.

I have a Maine Coon that loves water, too. Every morning he comes into the bathroom and yells until I turn the bath facet on for him. However, that cat in the pics just looks like she is trying to get out of the water, not surf.