Perplexing brainteaser/math problem

m8875

O.G.
Sep 12, 2006
"A rooster is worth five coins, a hen three coins, and 3 chicks one coin. With 100 coins we buy 100 of them. How many roosters, hens, and chicks can we buy?"

Hint: Chicks have to be bought in multiples of 3. There are 4 different possibilities.

I won't post the answer until someone answers since last time it didn't work so well :smile:

"A rooster is worth five coins, a hen three coins, and 3 chicks one coin. With 100 coins we buy 100 of them. How many roosters, hens, and chicks can we buy?"

Hint: Chicks have to be bought in multiples of 3. There are 4 different possibilities.

I won't post the answer until someone answers since last time it didn't work so well :smile:

One possibility:

25 hens (75 coins)
75 chicks (25 coins)

I would assume you'd need to buy one of at least all 3? Yeah?

If so, how bout:
8 roosters - 40 coins
11 hens - 33 coins
27 chicks - 81 coins

Umm I refuse to take part in a gender discriminating thing :nogood: why is a hen worth less? That's what I would write if I had to do this in school. Hehe :P

I would assume you'd need to buy one of at least all 3? Yeah?

If so, how bout:
8 roosters - 40 coins
11 hens - 33 coins
27 chicks - 81 coins

Wait..that didn't work out right. Duh!

I had it all figured out, typed the wrong answer, then threw away my work.

Let me write this out again.. I feel like a dumbass!!

Umm I refuse to take part in a gender discriminating thing :nogood: why is a hen worth less? That's what I would write if I had to do this in school. Hehe :P

If anything, it should be the other way around, since hens are not only food in themselves, but also lay eggs. Roosters just make a lot of noise!:yes:

OK, how about:

4 roosters - 20 coins
18 hens - 54 coins
78 chicks - 26 coins
------------------------
78 26
18 54
+4 +20
-----------------------
100 100

I took linear algebra but I can't remember a thing about it! Matrices have proven useless to me in the real world so my brain seems to have tossed out any knowledge of them :smile: I do remember liking that class though!