period sapphire-diamond tennis bracelet?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
What are your opinions on this estate piece? I did not have nerve to ask jeweler if I could take a picture. So I will do my best to describe it. Basically it is a double row tennis bracelet style set in platinum. The pattern is 3 diamonds, 3 sapphires, 3 diamonds all the way around on both rows. The diamonds are real and about .05 each. But.... the sapphires are 90% likely lab created. The price is $5600. If the total diamond carat weight is 2.5 and all set in platinum, what are your thoughts? Would you ever consider estate jewelry and/or lab created sapphires? I love how it feels (weight of it), how it looks and that I don't think I will see anyone wearing anything like it. Just don't know my thoughts on not having brand new and genuine sapphires. Thanks so much for ALL opinions!

Thanks so much for your response! The art deco period - 1920-1935 - used lots of synthetic gemstones. I researched art deco period pieces for the better part of last evening! I learned a lot. So it was not uncommon to NOT use real sapphires even though the bracelet is indeed 100% platinum. The diamonds are genuine. Need to visit bracelet in person again!

Thanks so much for your response! The art deco period - 1920-1935 - used lots of synthetic gemstones. I researched art deco period pieces for the better part of last evening! I learned a lot. So it was not uncommon to NOT use real sapphires even though the bracelet is indeed 100% platinum. The diamonds are genuine. Need to visit bracelet in person again!
That's interesting, Philly!
Try to sneak a pic!

I will try to sneak a photo. I learned a little more. The bracelet has 42 diamonds. But since it is a double bracelet - there are 21 on each row. So there are groups of 3 diamonds alternating with groups of 3 sapphires all around. The diamonds are VS1 and VS2 and G-H color. The sapphires are synthetic. I love love this piece! Next time I go back to make a payment, I will try to get photo. If I take it from my iphone 5S and email it to myself, how do I post it on this forum? Thanks! If you want to see similar single line bracelet, langantiques.com has one pictured with emeralds.

Just go to art deco bracelets and it is the 2nd bracelet. Perhaps some kind member here can copy and paste it so I will get more responses! But the one from Lang Antiques (located in San Francisco) is 3 diamond, 3 emerald all the way around in a box setting and a line bracelet. Very similar to mine except mine is 2 rows and sapphires in place of emeralds.

Yep.

I have a gold and synthetic ruby ring from that time period. I never thought I would purchase a synthetic stone, but it was so pretty, and the price of the ring was based only on the price of the gold, that I couldn't resist!