Perfume question, Hypnotic P. vs Addict vs Organza

momtok

Daughter & Tim Gunn
O.G.
Aug 21, 2009
Team Tom/Sarah !
I've always used Dior perfumes, and have been "loyal" to Hypnotic Poison for years. Simply put, I love HP.

I never got around to sampling Addict (not Addict 2, I mean the original Addict), but have been told I would probably like it because it's also an "oriental" with vanilla basenotes. I'll be at both Sephora and Macy's next week, and am making a conscious point of sampling it.

Meanwhile, while standing at a fragrance counter a few days ago (discovering they didn't have Addict, so I couldn't sample it at the time), the SA insisted I try Givenchy Organza. It's vanilla based, sweet, and has almost a "cream" tone to the scent.

Ok, so my questions are these:

Is anyone familiar with all three of these? I'm interested to hear how others view the differences in these vanillas. And on a related vein, if you have one, is it worth getting one/more of the others to switch out with?

Also, I've always felt that Dior fragrance quality is rather high. How does Givenchy compare? (I'm asking with genuine curiosity -- I've only ever used Dior fragrances. Are there any 'quality' issues/differences I should be aware of?)

Thanks for any and all opinions. I'm really very curious. :flowers: To be honest, I love vanilla basenotes enough that I wouldn't be shocked if I ended up with all three. I'm just wondering if it's genuinely worth it, or if there's anything else I should know. :flowers:

momtok

Daughter & Tim Gunn
O.G.
Aug 21, 2009
Team Tom/Sarah !
Addendum:

I am aware that Organza usually comes in EDP, while Hypnotic Poison is EDT. I also know that a ~3.3oz HP EDT is about the same price as an Organza ~3.3oz EDP. I also know that in *general*, EDP are more powerful than EDT .... however my impression has also been that HP EDT is about as powerful as an EDP to start with. .... So, along those lines, is Organza EDP comparible to HP EDT in terms of sillage/longevity as well? Thoughts on any of that? Help?

JulieDiva

Aug 30, 2011
Canada
HI!!
I love Dior Hypnotic Poison too...it might even be my fav fragrance of my collection.
I can not wear Organza by givenchy...on me it dries down to an unpleasant smell....maybe on you it may be different??...also, i find that HP is very strong and long lasting as an EDT, maybe that is why it is not made in an EDP?

I like the Dior addict scent, but it is not a must have for me....I don't smell the vanilla in it.

Have you tried the Hypnotic poison eau sensuelle?? I love it almost as much as the original HP...it has more of a floral tone, but it is still yummy!

Let me know if you find another vanilla based scent you love as much as HP...I have yet to find a comparable one...so far HP stands out on it's own for me.

momtok

Daughter & Tim Gunn
O.G.
Aug 21, 2009
Team Tom/Sarah !
HI!!
I love Dior Hypnotic Poison too...it might even be my fav fragrance of my collection.
I can not wear Organza by givenchy...on me it dries down to an unpleasant smell....maybe on you it may be different??...also, i find that HP is very strong and long lasting as an EDT, maybe that is why it is not made in an EDP?
You know what? When I went back, to the SA who recommended it to me, it turned out that it wasn't original Organza afterall --- it was a re-issue of "Organza Indecence." Apparently it was made some years back, then discontinued, but enough people missed it that they brought it back in their "Mythique" "re-issue of classics" line. Well anyway, I loved it, and ended up buying a bottle. It's the first one I've found in years, that I like almost as much as my HP. (It has a strong cinnamon note in it, so is just different enough from HP, but still has the same "cozy, wintry" aura on dry-down.)

I like the Dior addict scent, but it is not a must have for me....I don't smell the vanilla in it.
I'm glad to read that, because during the Christmas hustle and bustle, while out shopping with hubby and inlaws, I did get a chance to sample the Addict, and with the obvious benefit of having husband's nose there as well. Neither of us got vanilla until late, late, late in the dry-down. And even then, it wasn't much. It was also surprisingly fruity on me. I'm guessing that's the blackberry that's supposed to be in the notes? I was not nearly as impressed as I thought I would be, given the hype I'd read about Addict. :sad: So yeah, I guess Addict is a no-go.

Have you tried the Hypnotic poison eau sensuelle?? I love it almost as much as the original HP...it has more of a floral tone, but it is still yummy!
No, I have not, but I do want to. I've read such good reviews for that one too, on at least two fragrance boards.

Let me know if you find another vanilla based scent you love as much as HP...I have yet to find a comparable one...so far HP stands out on it's own for me.
Yeah, based on the sampling I did during our shopping days, it's looking like HP will stay as my one true vanilla as well. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I've loved it for years. If you get a chance to try the Organza Indecence, get a spritz on your skin. (Unless you hate cinnamon, in which case, don't ;) . ) In terms of sillage/longevity, it did hold up on me as well as the HP, just more cinnamon-based than vanilla. I can honestly say I love it about 95% as much. On principle, I'd still like to find a third alternative for winter. Not sure I'll find anything that would beat these two though.

(Sidenote, during the sampling of "warm, winter scents," I also took a spray of Prada Ambree .... then came home and struggled to wash it off. Maybe it smells good on other people's chemistry, but on mine, I swear, I could not escape the feeling I was smelling cooked greens :wacko:. I kept shoving my wrist at hubby's nose, saying, "Don't you smell it??? Doesn't it smell like swiss chard??? " :lol: That was not a good moment. )

Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year! :flowers:

tatiana0

Dec 31, 2011
I love HP. Some may think there are similar scents, but I haven't been able to find a scent quite like it. To me it is totally different than Addict and Organza. I would say HP is the strongest of the 3. Addict and Organza are lighter and more vanilla scent after the dry down. Hope this helps.

DesigningStyle

I left my heart in Sicily.
O.G.
Dec 20, 2006
NJ, USA
Givenchy Organza is one of my signature scents. I am not familiar with the others at all. I love all of the Organza varieties.

Mar 28, 2010
England
I am extremely surprised that you were recommended the Organza indecence as an oriental vanilla as this scent has no vanilla in it whatsoever, it is an oriental woody and has strong amber and patchouli in the base. I do not liken it to Hypnotic poison at all.
A few that have the same sort of base notes as HP (and long sillage to boot) are:
Celine - Fever
Estee lauder - Youth-dew amber nude
Jean paul gaultier- Gaultier 2