Perfume - I'm ready to find my scent!

*Jenn*

sofa king addicted.
O.G.
Nov 13, 2007
Hello lovely friends!
I am trying to be a better adult, and figured it is time to pick one or a few signature scents! The last time I had actual perfume (as opposed to body sprays) was high school.

I am 31. I work in healthcare; currently directly with patients, but working on my bachelors degree, and once I graduate and find a job, I will have limited / no direct patient contact.

So far my favorite scents have had the following aspects:
- light / medium boldness, but lasting
- sweet florals (peonies, lilies of the valley, etc.)
- fruity (blackberry, cherry)
- vanilla / honey

I am not afraid to go out of my comfort zone, but don't want to spend hundreds and waste bottles finding my perfect scent. If there are options for samples, that would be lovely!

I received Chanel No 5 for christmas 2 years ago, and it smelled extremely musty / old to me, so I returned it. But full disclosure - the gift giver (my MIL) is an extreme bargain shopper, so the perfume potentially could have been old / spoiled. Unsure.

Some perfumes I have been considering trying / have been recommended to me:
- LV heures d'absence
- YSL Black Opium
- Dior Miss Dior Blooming Bouqet
- Nest New York Black Tulip

* A pretty bottle is an added bonus - I love the black opium bottle, for instance
* I would like to have 3-5 scents at maximum.

I have been a big Jo Malone fan for years. I wear mostly Blackberry & Bay as well as Rose Oud. But i like spicier scents. For you I would start with the more basic Lime Basil which is a classic! She has a large number of scents and most are made to either be worn alone OR layered on top of each other, so there are lots of options. Head to department store and test them out. Good luck!

Reactions: jess236 and *Jenn*
Here are a few suggestions. I haven't tried the first two recently but I recall liking them when I tried them. Armani Prive Pivoine Suzhou and Pivoine by Fragonard are both peony-centric fragrances that are worth testing if you enjoy peony.

You should also check out the Aerin line of fragrances by Aerin Lauder. There are some pretty, easy-to-wear florals in that line like Ikat Jasmine and Rose de Grasse. I have Lilac Path which is a very pretty lilac-based scent.

The Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire line has some scents that you might like as well. Some of them are discontinued, but both Orchidee Vanille and California Reverie are still available and worth testing if you get the chance. Also try Quelques Fleurs Royale by Houbigant, which is a honeyed floral in a pink bottle.

I am not sure how easy it will be to test scents currently, and am not sure if stores even have testers out. Hopefully you will be able to get some samples and try them out over the course of a day, and see how you feel about them. Good luck and have fun testing and finding some favorite scents!

Reactions: 880 and *Jenn*
You have been given some great suggestions like Aerin Lauder (love, love, love Ikat Jasmine) and Jo Malone. I am perfume obsessed! Someone gave me some Creed samples and it hasn’t stopped yet.

Do not have many bottles of perfume but have lots of decants and samples. Samples are the way to go so you don’t plunge money in a scent you will wind up hating later.

I have been a big Jo Malone fan for years. I wear mostly Blackberry & Bay as well as Rose Oud. But i like spicier scents. For you I would start with the more basic Lime Basil which is a classic! She has a large number of scents and most are made to either be worn alone OR layered on top of each other, so there are lots of options. Head to department store and test them out. Good luck!

i think i may try the jo malone! a few people now have suggested it! i think i'll test blackberry & bay, and lime basil.

Here are a few suggestions. I haven't tried the first two recently but I recall liking them when I tried them. Armani Prive Pivoine Suzhou and Pivoine by Fragonard are both peony-centric fragrances that are worth testing if you enjoy peony.

You should also check out the Aerin line of fragrances by Aerin Lauder. There are some pretty, easy-to-wear florals in that line like Ikat Jasmine and Rose de Grasse. I have Lilac Path which is a very pretty lilac-based scent.

The Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire line has some scents that you might like as well. Some of them are discontinued, but both Orchidee Vanille and California Reverie are still available and worth testing if you get the chance. Also try Quelques Fleurs Royale by Houbigant, which is a honeyed floral in a pink bottle.

I am not sure how easy it will be to test scents currently, and am not sure if stores even have testers out. Hopefully you will be able to get some samples and try them out over the course of a day, and see how you feel about them. Good luck and have fun testing and finding some favorite scents!

i do enjoy peony! my wedding bouquet was peonies and lilies of the valley, so i am partial to those scents.

doing a little research, the van cleef & arpels orhidee vanille sounds delicious! i may have to look for a sample of that!

You have been given some great suggestions like Aerin Lauder (love, love, love Ikat Jasmine) and Jo Malone. I am perfume obsessed! Someone gave me some Creed samples and it hasn’t stopped yet.

Do not have many bottles of perfume but have lots of decants and samples. Samples are the way to go so you don’t plunge money in a scent you will wind up hating later.

thank you for the suggestions! the aerin lauder ikat jasmine has such a cute bottle too!

The first perfume that came to mind, given your preferences, is Jo Malone Blackberry and Bay.

I would also strongly recommend Chanel Chance Eau Tendre EDT. It's the only perfume that I have repurchased multiple times.
View attachment 4785895

thank you for the suggestions! love the chanel bottle too!

My Frederic Malle SA at Neiman Marcus said that Eau de Magnolia is very popular with the healthcare workers at the university hospital/clinic nearby. It's nice and light, and I think it might be the kind of fragrance you might like based on what you said you gravitate to.

• Love
I’m a nurse, work in a hospital with direct patient care. I do not like musk scents and I am drawn to more floral scents that are not over powering.

I have two LV fragrances that I love.

1. Apogée
2. Le Jour Se Lève

I wear one of these two perfumes daily. The fragrance lasts all day (I work 12-16hrs) and it doesn’t take much. Their is rarely a day that someone doesn’t say “you smell good”. Everyone ask what perfume I wear (Male and Female) and where can they buy it. They always say it is subtle but wonderful and fresh.

Remember once the bottle is empty, you can get the bottle refilled at LV for about $100 less than the original bottle. Plus, you can get your bottle engraved with initials or date if you like to personalize.

I’m a nurse, work in a hospital with direct patient care. I do not like musk scents and I am drawn to more floral scents that are not over powering.

I have two LV fragrances that I love.

1. Apogée
2. Le Jour Se Lève

I wear one of these two perfumes daily. The fragrance lasts all day (I work 12-16hrs) and it doesn’t take much. Their is rarely a day that someone doesn’t say “you smell good”. Everyone ask what perfume I wear (Male and Female) and where can they buy it. They always say it is subtle but wonderful and fresh.

Remember once the bottle is empty, you can get the bottle refilled at LV for about $100 less than the original bottle. Plus, you can get your bottle engraved with initials or date if you like to personalize.

the ability to refill the bottles is something that is drawing me to LV scents!
i am working really hard on being zero / minimal waste, no plastic, etc. a reusable perfume bottle is amazing to me.

• Love
Reactions: 880
Lancome La Vie Est Belle and Valentino Valentina are my absolute FAVOURITE perfumes. I like similar notes to you, both have light, fresh, floral notes and also have that gorgeous creamy vanilla note in them that makes them smell very deep at the same time. They're both very similar to Black Opium, but I personally find Black Opium to be a little more of a winter scent.

To me, they're both perfect all year round (which I like, because I don't like having to find perfumes for different seasons)

Reactions: *Jenn*