Perfume Chat Thread

A house close to Grasse sounds lovely, @papertiger.:girlsigh: When I think of British fragrances, the houses that immediately come to mind are Floris and Penhaligon's. Also Miller Harris and Ormonde Jayne. I have a few of the Miller Harris scents but haven't yet tried Ormonde Jayne. I feel like I am forgetting some houses, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Also, soliflores from houses like Yardley, Woods of Windsor and Bronnley come to mind when thinking about British fragrances. My mom loved talcum powder and always had lavender, one called Delicate Freesia which was so pretty, lily of the valley and rose. They all came with matching EDT sprays. My mom loved these and would wear them on a frequent basis. She had asthma and these scents never bothered her since they were light. Her other favorites were Femme and Miss Dior, which she wore off and on.

@Tasha1, which are the British and Australian houses you are interested in exploring?
@rutabaga, if you love orange blossom and tea, you might want to try Guerlain Neroli Outrenoir. It's opens up with orange blossom and then has a lot of tea as it develops. Lovely for summer.

Regarding reviews, I never watch YouTube reviews. Prefer to read reviews. I do like watching some perfume collection videos though. Usually when I am doing chores like folding clothes, etc.

Also Miller Harris and Ormonde Jayne

they are great
I like some Lyn's creations.
I would like to explore Ruth Mastenbroek, Areej le Dore and a young girl from Lithuania, as for Australia the first name is TRPN, then Fort and Manle
I tested Rogue's scents. Great smell in the beginning ,but they disappear quickly

What can you tell me about Zoologist? I tried to love them and they are well made, but wearable?? can't say so

they are great
I like some Lyn's creations.
I would like to explore Ruth Mastenbroek, Areej le Dore and a young girl from Lithuania, as for Australia the first name is TRPN, then Fort and Manle
I tested Rogue's scents. Great smell in the beginning ,but they disappear quickly

What can you tell me about Zoologist? I tried to love them and they are well made, but wearable?? can't say so
I actually haven't tried any of the scents from Zoologist yet. I keep thinking about getting some samples but I am also not sure how wearable some of them are (based on the marketing and descriptions), and so it has not been a priority for me.
As for Rogue, Chypre Siam is the only one I tried from them, but I don't recall any issues with longevity on my skin. However, I have not tried any of the others in the Rogue line.
A few houses I recently added to my very long perfume sample list are Bogue, Parfums Dusita, and Divine (I had a sample of L'Ame Soeur and really liked it.)

I tried FM Moon. I think it depends on skin chemistry and preference. On me, sweet fruit and powdery notes were amplified. and, the rest was an evolution into big amber, incense, oud, woods with a slight synthetic note somewhere. But, my skin chemistry really likes Une Flsur de Cassie, an FM that I think is discontinued, that some others find urinous. its available by decant or sample as well as by mini collection I think called essential woman (Bloomingdales) as well as it’s own collection mentioned above.

@rutabaga, I agree about dyptyique fragrances drydown being a bit synthetic. I googled coffee scented candles bc I was curious (I have not tried any) and came up with this list:
  • Anya Hindmarch Coffee Small Candle $75.
  • Homesick Seattle Candle $34.
  • The Burlap Bag Gimme Coffee $18.
  • The Little Market Coffee Candle $36.
  • Frédéric Malle Cafe Society Candle $95.
  • Illume Boulangerie Jar $18.
  • Swan Creek Candle Co

i ordered the sample assortment from Baruti and am on the fence, main,y bc it’s summer and I find them more geared to fall, so I’ll wait and retry.

my Fuegia 1833 samples (recommended by @Tasha1 arrived, and I love all of them. During the summer I prefer dabbing from a sample and really like scents that lie close to the skin.
agua magnoliana I-Xix is refreshing, clear, a bit sweet, but light. With some alcohol on the rim that dissipates on skin.
agua de gardenia is this well blended gardenia with notes of coconut and beach. IMO femme fatale summer. Not my personality, but I really wish it was!
rosa de los vientos is IMO a really well crafted wine rich rose (when I smell scents like this I think of white burgundy, old world wine)
muskara Rosa is a bit sweeter when I sniff the bottle rim, (no where as sweet as Andy Tauer though) but on skin seems like the rose is mellowed with a bit of leather. . . Kid glove leather or suede, not manly robust leather :biggrin:

I could be totally wrong though. when I do first impressions, I don’t read the actual perfume notes or reviews.

View attachment 5106604View attachment 5106608

Thanks for the reviews of the fragrances! Enjoy!

Perverso is pretty good, but, as you said, it's not really the kind of thing that someone would want to wear too much outside of the cooler time of the year.

I also don't pay too much mind to lists of notes. People treat them like they're ingredient lists, but a lot of the time notes lists are just bu11shit.

I like to read reviews...sometimes. It depends on who's writing them and where they're coming from. A lot of the people who post reviews on Fragrantica just have no idea what they're talking about, so just...no.

I have mixed feelings about Fragrantica. Part of me says if they think it smalls that way, other people who smell it on me in real life might think it smalls that way. But another part of me says some of them are just saying things to try and sound like they know more about fragrances than they really do.

• Love
Reactions: papertiger and 880
i have tried nearly all of them
If I would like to purchase any? maybe a couple
I've tried a few. They were all fine but nothing I was too crazy about and nothing that made me really want to go out of my way to explore the line much further. The one I liked the most was Hyrax. It was interesting; however, I couldn't imagine a time I would ever really want to smell like that other than just for myself while I'm relaxing at home.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Tasha1
i assumed reformulations changed bc of IFRA Regs prohibiting the use of allergens. (I read otherwise in the comments (by BeJ poster yankel marinas) of a thread on https://boisdejasmin.com/2012/01/christian-dior-dune-perfume-review.html

from the BdJ post:
“Dior’s classic formulas (miss dior 1947, fahrenheit, dune, etc.) have always been . . . the property of Givaudan, the fragrance firm that created them.

Recently, Dior (LVMH) told this firm to keep their original formulations because from now on Dior would make their own.”

Of course it could be both reasons. After i read above, I recalled that I Ha ve a small bottle of deadstock vintage dune that I may wear later this week. :smile:

@ultravisitor, I often put on perfume just for myself. The less adventurous choices come out when I socialize with others.

I just bought a deadstock bottle of Rose EdP by Caron. It got relatively basic reviews and was not too popular at the time, but
since dead stock Or et Noir is hard to come by, I thought I’d try it.

@limom, agree re Guerlain and re the price factor below (though there are articles that the raw ingredients comprise 1% of retail price, I’d like to assume that Niche houses spend more — there was a favorite article from Huff post re Le labo, where a woman said the rose perfume changed her sex life with her husband of many years :smile: . I came to Guerlain late, post IFRA change, bc I wrongly assumed that I would have all the time in the world to explore it. But I’ve had a lot of fun hunting down different vintages, different strengths

Last edited:
Reactions: JenJBS and limom
I'll just do British I've tried:

Ruth Mastenbroek works for other scent/brand houses but she has her own line. She takes time to develop new fragrances and I don't think there is a scent I don't like but Oxford (Autumn/Winter for me) and her signature suit me best, I may get Fire Dancer next though https://www.ruthmastenbroek.com. She always uses the best ingredients and all the money doesn't just go into the bottle.

Roger Dove of course (Diaghilev my absolute favourite). I love the scent of Oligarch (usually for men) too but I cannot wear a scent with that name, never a compliment for anyone and so culturally inappropriate.

Liberty (the department store) is a treasure trove of undiscovered small/limited scents. I allow myself to sniff uptown 5 fragrances and sometimes come home with something I can't resist.

To be really boring, I really like some heritage brands, even if they're well known- like Molinard (which is actually quite small) and even Guerlain. My mother had a house very close to Grasse (Provence -Alpes-Côte d'Azur) visiting since I was 18, so I've never been short of (French) fragrances :rolleyes: that are based on local ingredients. If anyone is interested they can learn all about making perfume and the fragrance industry at some of the bigger houses Parfumerie Fragonard, Molinard and Parfumerie Galimard are all open to the public (gift shops on the way out of course!!! :biggrin:)
Do you still visit Grasse?
I love the local fragrances too and started using Fragonard solid tins.
Basic: Rose, violet and mimosa.

As far as my favorite house: Guerlain It covers all needs at all age and genders.

i assumed reformulations changed bc of IFRA Regs prohibiting the use of allergens. (I read otherwise in the comments (by BeJ poster yankel marinas) of a thread on https://boisdejasmin.com/2012/01/christian-dior-dune-perfume-review.html

from the BdJ post:
“Dior’s classic formulas (miss dior 1947, fahrenheit, dune, etc.) have always been . . . the property of Givaudan, the fragrance firm that created them.

Recently, Dior (LVMH) told this firm to keep their original formulations because from now on Dior would make their own.”

Of course it could be both reasons. After i read above, I recalled that I Ha ve a small bottle of deadstock vintage dune that I may wear later this week. :smile:

@ultravisitor, I often put on perfume just for myself. The less adventurous choices come out when I socialize with others.
I also suspect the price of ingredients as well.

• Love
Reactions: 880
My own enjoyment is always my primary concern, adventurous or not, regardless of whether or not I will be socializing with others. I've worn something every day throughout lockdown; it's just part of my routine. Zoologist's Hyrax, though, is not a pleasant or comforting kind of perfume. It's just...interesting...and not something I can really justify spending much for when it'd get very little wear. I already have 50 bajillion different samples along with all the full bottles and travel sprays that I own.