people who talk down to you...

Oh, just say "Well, I guess that makes you higher up on the food chain than me, and in 100 years, no one will care". Usually when someone makes a disparaging remark, they're trying to convince themselves that what they're doing is right. It's really a security issue. It's hard to say "that's nice, but you opinion doesn't mean anything to me" in a nice way. Sometimes you just have to be blunt.

Heehee.. my boyfriend's daughter's mom bought a sig stripe tote on Michigan Ave, Chicago for the retail ~$300. The daughter (13) has been telling me about how they have you sit down and they bring it to you and yada yada yada (she's much too influenced by her mom). Oh boy isn't that special.

Funny thing is, it's the same bag you can find for cheaper on ebay (unfortunately not outlet), but jeez! Get over yourself already! It's still as gorgeous of a bag if you get it somewhere else for cheaper (or with PCE). Paying full price for it doesn't make you any better either. ;) Reminds me of the boutique SA who snubbed the "Factory Bags".

I know how you feel.

I have some really close friends who talk to me the same way. If they see me with a new bag, they comment on how I have enough already and really don't need anymore. I find myself hiding my new bags just because I don't want to deal with the negativity. They say that a purse is a purse and all I am paying for is the name. The facts are, I don't really care about the name so much. It's the style and the quality.

I still purchase bags from Target and other places like Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Vera Bradley, etc...so, I am not above buying something other than Coach. However, I don't think it's anyone's business whay I buy, where I bought it from, or how much I pay for it! I don't tell them what they should or should not buy, so why do they think it's any of their business what I do?? They don't pay my bills....and until they do....they don't need to worry about my finances!

Who cares what someone else has or hasn't got? We are all different and we all have different tastes. We just happen to love purses. What about all of those who collect figurines, barbies, stamps, baseball cards, etc... It's just a matter of who likes what and how much you are willing to pay to have it!

Now, having said this....I must admit that I recently made a comment to my sister-in-law (who is just as addicted to purses as I am) about how many more bags could she possibly buy. As soon as I said it...I felt stupid.

I agree with the remark above. Everyone has their thing. Some of my co-workers spend all their money on motorcycles and motorcycle gear. Some buy pricey electronics. I spend my extra money on bags, clothes, and jewelry. If someone ever gives me a hard time about one of my bags, I just say, "We all have our own tastes and interests. What I spend my money on is my choice."

I know this has been discussed but I just experienced this. My co-worker was talking about how she's had her $10 purse from Target for 10 years!!! and she doesn't understand how I (or anyone else) could spend as much as I do on my purses & wallets. I tried to be nice and just play it off like "oh well, everyone likes spending their money on different things etc" and she just wouldn't let it go! She kept pushing that I was being duped and that you can find perfectly nice leather pieces at Target or Walmart :wtf::throwup: ... I tired to explain the quality of leather and she just didn't get it and made me feel like crap. Ugh.. not cool!!!! :yucky:

::: end rant ::: :angel:

I have a hard time believing a $10 Target purse would last with regular use for 10 years. :shrugs: I'm not knocking "cheaper" bags at all, I've bought plenty myself. The only bag I have from 10 or so years ago that isn't a Coach & is still in one piece is from Nine West. Anyway, it sounds like she's just jealous IMHO, don't let her get to you :flowers:

I deal with negative remarks from just about all my friends and family. I try not to show off my new bags too much, but since I am always getting a new one it's kinda hard not to notice :shame:

But I am happy to say that since I have been into Coach and LV, I have convinced my SIL to buy Coach.. she now has 2 and a wallet.. and my best friend just got a cute carryall for Chirstmas from her BF, and my other best friend (they are sisters actually) just asked me last night if I had any purses that I was selling that she would like:nuts:

They were never AGAINST buying nice purses but I don't think they think it's smart to have so many.. money wise.. I think they figure a few good ones is enough.

They are totally against the $1000 dollar LV I just bought :s

I agree with all of you. I think that for us whom handbags are our "thing" have it harder than others because its (maybe) the only "hobby" that you take everywhere with you. Unlike stamps, dolls, electronics, etc. So its there for everyone to notice. I have the same problem with my SIL. But I just ignore her now, and I know she won't shut up not until she starts seeing me with only cheapy bags. (which I do have and love too) But I have come to terms that maybe she talks out of jealousy. Because many times I catch her in her lies of "I don't like that bag, its too big, too expensive, too juvinile", and then I hear my MIL commenting how she wants a bag like that too.

You know, I've always wondered why people care so much about what other people do. It always looks to me like in some way they would like to have what you have, but either they can't afford it, or are not allowed to have it for one reason or another. I'm sure you don't preach to her why she should own a Coach, why does she care so much that you do own them? I think since she can't or won't spend money on them, she doesn't want you to have them either. One way or another, I think jealousy plays into the situation. Methinks the lady doth protest too much!!!! Ignore her and enjoy your lovelies!

No one from work has ever come flat out and made a rude or insulting comment but...

The other day my co-workers and I played the "how well do we know each other". One of them actually said that the one thing he knows about me is that "I like to spend lots of money on leather purses."

I just smiled :smile:

Yeah, my entire family was in on the "I can't believe you spent that much money on a purse" conversation on Christmas. My grandpa even said that he was glad he had such rich relatives (I wish!). My reply was "Well, I know it's a lot to spend on a purse, but I didn't get jewelry or anything like that which would have cost the same, if not more. I try not to show off my bags, and I actually get embarrassed when people make comments like that because it makes me feel guilty in a way, which is weird because I'm not spending their money so who cares? :shrugs:

Yeah, my entire family was in on the "I can't believe you spent that much money on a purse" conversation on Christmas. My grandpa even said that he was glad he had such rich relatives (I wish!). My reply was "Well, I know it's a lot to spend on a purse, but I didn't get jewelry or anything like that which would have cost the same, if not more. I try not to show off my bags, and I actually get embarrassed when people make comments like that because it makes me feel guilty in a way, which is weird because I'm not spending their money so who cares? :shrugs:

Katielady...just saw you were from Ohio. Which part?? I'm born & raised in youngstown.

I completely agree with the rest of the fellow members on this forum; don't even bother explaining to her since she's not a person who's important to you. When she talks to you, you can just pretend that she's talking to someone else or didn't hear it at all; she has a right to open her mouth, and you also have a right not to respond. Just let her ramble and she'll get tired of it eventually.

Handbags is actually not one of my crazes (I should go change my screenname I guess! :lol:) I'm more into other accessories; I'm nuts about hats, and likes to have good umbrellas (kind of random I know) and agendas/planners. To each his own, really. That's the words of wisdom passed all the way down to us from the Romans and it still applies! Everything in this world changes, but the people never do. :nogood:

I also just ignore negative people. I also have a friend that calls me crazy for owning so many bags. She says she can't see herself paying that much $$ for a bag. But she does eat out everyday for lunch and dinner. Add all that up? She could own them too.