People who just don't get it........

Apr 28, 2008
I mentioned to my girlfriend that I am saving up for a Vernis Brea. She said to me "Why do you keep buying LV? That's so silly. You already have a lot. It's really silly that you have the multiple bags in the same print". I explained I like certain LV prints and I like certain styles of bags etc. She went on to say "I don't understand why you keep buying that junk anyway. So many people carry LV knocks and people probably think you're carrying Knock offs." She went on to say, "Why don't you carry something more classy like Chanel or some other brand that is not knocked off all the time".

Needless to say I was on FIRE. Now all of this is coming from a person who's most expensive bag is B. Maculsy (I know that's spelled wrong). And her favorite store is New York and Co. So clearly she doesn't get it. I don't judge her and her bags and clothes, so I dare her talk to me like that about my LV.................

One time I was carrying an expensive cluth to an outing and she said to me "How much did you pay for your bag" I told her the price and she said "I only paid $20 for mine and it looks as good as yours". I was upset again so I said "NO IT LOOKS LIKE IT COST $20". She was mad at me and didn't talk to me for a few weeks. I just don't get people...............

I needed to vent.

Some people just don't appreciate these bags like you do or like anyone of us on here. I know it gets frustrating when you're trying to explain to someone why you have an interest in luxury bags yet they just refuse to understand. I'd say try to talk to her and try to tell her that everyone has different tastes and different interests

i understand u, my best girlfriend thinks that i shouldnt buy LV, because everyone has it. but she is very nice, she did not say LV as junk. i just explained to her that, she think she sees it everywhere because it is attractive, and look great. thats how the bag caught her attention....

i think she do not understand, no point explaining to her.
so u prob just ignore her and ask her to respect ur purchase ... otherwise u tell her that u will pick on her $20 dollars clutch again. LOL

that is exactly right... some people JUST DONT GET IT. dont let it ruin your day :biggrin: there are plenty of us who DO get it. I have friends who have LV that still say they don't understand why I buy so many. Because it makes me happy and its my money. the end!

It's true. Most people don't get it. I would love it if I had one friend who really got it and shared my passion but thank god we have each other here!

What she said to you wasn't nice coming from a friend. I admit, my first reaction inside would to be upset and defensive. But friends are more valuable than bags, if they are a true friend. She handled it very poorly! Words are like knives. You can remove the knife but the wound is still there and open. You probably aren't feeling good about how things went with her, obviously. If she is a true friend, it may be time to have a heart to heart talk to try to heal the wounds and save the friendship. Sometimes if we change our perspective of a situation it can help others to understand, and help us to grow.

You two may not ever agree on spending $$ on bags, but you can agree on respecting each others decisions. True friends enjoy seeing each other happy and if the bags make you happy then she should support your choices. That said, you will need to respect her choices as well, such as buying $20 bags. Good luck! I hope it works out for you :heart:

Next time - if there is a next time - I would just refuse to have the conversation with her. When/If she asks how something costs, etc. I would just not enter into the conversation. I have recently had a conversation with someone about LV - she has fakes and is looking to get another one - and she just learned that I had a real one (I'm a newbie!). Basically, what I told her was that it is all about CHOICES. We each can decide how to spend our own money. I choose to clean my own house and don't eat out, etc. All that stuff adds up. I would rather have a beautiful bag that I can admire every time I wear it. My choice! Sorry you have had to deal with this "friend". :hugs:

I don't think she will understand even you explain to her. People have their own value which is fine and friends should understand each other's difference and respect each other. If she keep talking like that she would be out of my life for sure.

Everyone has their "thing" they are willing to spend money on. I like bags and jewelry and will fork the $$ over for them. I will not spend $$ on jeans and shoes because they do not last a long time and I don't feel I get good cost per use on them.

However, I would never tell someone they were foolish to spend money on jeans/shoes or gourmet peanut butter just because I wouldn't. I was raised better.

I knew you ladies would understand. She is a true friend just very opinionated. I have explained and I have tried not having the conversation. It's my fault for bringing it up to her because I know she doesn't understand. I totally respect her decision NOT to spend alot on bags. I NEVER judge her. It's funny how people can judge us because how we spend our money and it's okay. BUT if we judge them on how they spend their money, we are mean. lol Her opinions hurt my feelings and pisses me off. Therefore, if she continues I will continue to hurt her feelings. It's mean and childish, but I'm not going to continue to allow her to make me feel bad.

sounds to me like you are judging her as well? (at least in this post)

i don't think either one of you is "better" than the other. Just different priorities.

I mentioned to my girlfriend that I am saving up for a Vernis Brea. She said to me "Why do you keep buying LV? That's so silly. You already have a lot. It's really silly that you have the multiple bags in the same print". I explained I like certain LV prints and I like certain styles of bags etc. She went on to say "I don't understand why you keep buying that junk anyway. So many people carry LV knocks and people probably think you're carrying Knock offs." She went on to say, "Why don't you carry something more classy like Chanel or some other brand that is not knocked off all the time".

Needless to say I was on FIRE. Now all of this is coming from a person who's most expensive bag is B. Maculsy (I know that's spelled wrong). And her favorite store is New York and Co. So clearly she doesn't get it. I don't judge her and her bags and clothes, so I dare her talk to me like that about my LV.................

One time I was carrying an expensive cluth to an outing and she said to me "How much did you pay for your bag" I told her the price and she said "I only paid $20 for mine and it looks as good as yours". I was upset again so I said "NO IT LOOKS LIKE IT COST $20". She was mad at me and didn't talk to me for a few weeks. I just don't get people...............

I needed to vent.

Last edited:
Doll, this could backfire on you. Sometimes it's just best not to stoop to their level. Be classy, take the high road. And just say, "we agree to disagree." Believe me I am not one to walk away from a confrontation but it's how you handle it that defines you. Take heart and use wisdom.:smile:

"Therefore, if she continues I will continue to hurt her feelings. It's mean and childish, but I'm not going to continue to allow her to make me feel bad."

@ LV Glitter, you are right. I'm going to have to remember that. A person should never stoop to another person's level.

@ Pickle In the post it does sound like I"m judging her. I try not to judge people. I think with her she brings out the worst in me..........Which is not good. It goes back to what LV Glitter is saying. I definitely should not judge her because she is judging me. Sometimes it's difficult not to defend yourself.........

@ LV Glitter, you are right. I'm going to have to remember that. A person should never stoop to another person's level.

@ Pickle In the post it does sound like I"m judging her. I try not to judge people. I think with her she brings out the worst in me..........Which is not good. It goes back to what LV Glitter is saying. I definitely should not judge her because she is judging me. Sometimes it's difficult not to defend yourself.........

It is difficult to learn how to handle these situations. It's taken alot of years of practice and I still have years to go. I still can get offended/hurt too (inside) and don't feel I need to justify my life or choices to anyone. But now I can usually just shake it off when I can tell someone is judging me. It's just not worth losing my dignity over. I've learned it's a choice.

You can stand up for yourself with out stooping down. It just takes some practice ;) You go girl!!

Last edited:
Who is this person? Chanel is not knocked off so much? :shocked:

I would pay no heed whatsoever. Many of my friends think it's ridiculous that I spend so much on my things, but I don't care. No one can accuse me of carrying a fake - well, they can, and have done, but it doesn't bother me because I know that my things are real. I won't discuss prices with people either, unless they're close friends whom I know also buy/appreciate luxury goods. I would never casually say to someone, 'hey, that's a nice car - how much did it set you back?' so I don't appreciate someone asking me how much a bag or a scarf or a pair of sunglasses cost either.

Enjoy your LV and don't worry about what anyone else has to say about it. Those with any class would say nothing.