People who just don't get it........

I totally would've done/said the same thing as you, it's just a shame your friend couldn't handle your comeback. Maybe it will open her eyes. It sucks that your friendship/trust was compromised that way, but it was messed up for her to talk to you like that.

My girlfriends ALWAYS comment whenever they see me with a new bag. One in particular can be pretty rude about it and says stuff like "Wow, it must be nice to be married to (DH's name)! I should've married him!" - that was just 2 weeks ago at a party. She said that right in front of her husband! I felt bad for him, but at the same time her husband would never buy her a designer bag, unfortunately. That same guy used to "tease" me on my bags, until I got back to him about how much he spends on guns, cars and bikes - I told him, if you were me, you'd have 5x as many bags as I get in a year - that's how much he spends on his "hobbies". That shut him up :yes:

But it gets real uncomfortable when they keep asking how much I pay for my bags. I start to get self-conscience 'cuz I don't want to make it look like I'm showing off. I actually hide my bag from them when we go out! It's bad enough she asks for prices, and I actually lie and say I got them cheaper, but it's worse for them to assume I can't afford to buy them myself. If my DH bought me a bag, it was for my birthday or special occasion/holiday. DH says next time, I should say I paid a million dollars for them! :lol:

I usually change the subject and brush off her comments, but from now on, if she says another rude comment, I'm just gonna play along and have a smart-alec comment back.

I would just change the subject from now on. I know it's hard but don't let it get to you. If she makes the Chanel comment again, I'd tell her there are tons of fakes everywhere and some are superfakes so you can't really tell what's real or not....(that will get her thinking....) ;)

I don't talk about bags or cost with anyone (no friends or family members because they don't get it either). That's why I love tpf. No one on here will think I'm crazy to spend $1000 on a bag if I choose! Don't feel bad, a lot of us have been in the same situation.:hugs:

@ LV Glitter, you are right. I'm going to have to remember that. A person should never stoop to another person's level.

@ Pickle In the post it does sound like I"m judging her. I try not to judge people. I think with her she brings out the worst in me..........Which is not good. It goes back to what LV Glitter is saying. I definitely should not judge her because she is judging me. Sometimes it's difficult not to defend yourself.........

Friends are supposed to bring out the best in you, so perhaps if she brings out the worst in you then she isn't worth having as a friend!

I would just change the subject from now on. I know it's hard but don't let it get to you. If she makes the Chanel comment again, I'd tell her there are tons of fakes everywhere and some are superfakes so you can't really tell what's real or not....(that will get her thinking....) ;)

I don't talk about bags or cost with anyone (no friends or family members because they don't get it either). That's why I love tpf. No one on here will think I'm crazy to spend $1000 on a bag if I choose! Don't feel bad, a lot of us have been in the same situation.:hugs:

I must agree with LVLoveaffair, the great thing about this forum is that people do get it, and you are not judged for it. However, this is a situation that will never go away. There is always going to be someone that will make comments based on their understanding and taste. I wouldn't let her option get me down. I would just say something like" we all have things that we love and this is mine " and leave it at that.

She's obviously jealous since she keeps talking about your LVs everytime she sees them... lol. Next time ask her why she even cares so much or what difference does it make to her what you're wearing! ;P

who ARE these people !? If someone were to talk to me like that, they probably won't be my friend. It's okay if you do not share my enthusiasm for designer goods. What is not okay is berating me about it !

Sounds to me like this person isn't much of a friend.

Now, I'm not saying that you should ditch a friendship over a price point issue. However, no friend should ever be so rude and abrasive towards you about anything. It's a courtesy and respect issue - in my opinion.

I mentioned to my girlfriend that I am saving up for a Vernis Brea. She said to me "Why do you keep buying LV? That's so silly. You already have a lot. It's really silly that you have the multiple bags in the same print". I explained I like certain LV prints and I like certain styles of bags etc. She went on to say "I don't understand why you keep buying that junk anyway. So many people carry LV knocks and people probably think you're carrying Knock offs." She went on to say, "Why don't you carry something more classy like Chanel or some other brand that is not knocked off all the time".

Needless to say I was on FIRE. Now all of this is coming from a person who's most expensive bag is B. Maculsy (I know that's spelled wrong). And her favorite store is New York and Co. So clearly she doesn't get it. I don't judge her and her bags and clothes, so I dare her talk to me like that about my LV.................

One time I was carrying an expensive cluth to an outing and she said to me "How much did you pay for your bag" I told her the price and she said "I only paid $20 for mine and it looks as good as yours". I was upset again so I said "NO IT LOOKS LIKE IT COST $20". She was mad at me and didn't talk to me for a few weeks. I just don't get people...............

I needed to vent.

That person is just plain jealous period lol

honestly I dont think this girl is a good friend to you. A good friend wouldnt treat you like that. I experienced this with some girls I was close with just a few years ago. I have cut ties with them since because they kept making a mockery out of my handbags..... and me being "materialistic". Your true friends will respect you for who you are whether they have the same interests as you or not. My best friend can't afford Lv bags but she doesnt make me feel bad about it. Shes happy for me. She always says one day I will be able to afford one.( she is only 21 so its very possible.)

For people who do not understand our bag interest and love, you really do not need to be bothered. You are wasting your time and your energy to explain to them. They will never get it no matter what you say. so just stop talking about bags with her.

Normally with strangers or friends giving such comments, i will ignore them. It's too complicated to xplain in words and let them understand...that's y they just don't get it. :P

If my friends are like that, so sorry i will have to leave them cos i knew we will quarrel one day over this which i think is pointless and waste of time. Since we r in different wave length, just forget it.