People who don't love handbags

but I still hate to see women with drab, nondescript black bags.

I just hate to see drab, nondescript women. Period.

I want to say to all of them, bloom, baby bloom.

Taking pride in your appearance is just as important as taking pride in the rest of your life, be it work, school, family whatever. IMO. I don't find it shallow at all, and I hate when people suggest such a thing.

[/end rant] ;)

I never paint my nails, meh..I can't be bothered with that, and believe me, I'm a feminine girl. As for the black bag, If you know of a particular friend who you feel needs to do good things for herself, I'm going to assume you gathered that opinion from other things other than her black handbag. A woman can have a Black Louis Vuitton epi speedy, A black Marc Jacobs Blake, A black Hermés Kelly and a Black Miu Miu Bow Bag. Sure, they are all black, but I wouldn't considering that bland by any means. KWIM?

I have a friend who carries this little (I mean little) bag with fake leopard print fur....if you saw this bag, it looks like something a 5 year old would carry. She's been using that darn thing for years now and everytime we meet up for dinner with all the girls, she's carrying that thing. I would rather she be carrying a black non descript bag than that furry thing. Oh well, we can't all be bagaholics, right?

Oy, I've seen that bag before...I'd take NO handbag to that handbag.:yucky:

Some people just find other pleasures in life to keep em happy, without bags involved. One of my friends is a fine example, she has been using a ethnic looking bag made of canvas and linen with a wooden handle for the past 3 years, and tho it looks quite old, it doesn't seem to bother her. The funny thing is, her family is very wealthy (her parents own a jet and houses in some countries all over the world!!) but she is quite thrifty, although she will not hesitate to help her friends out in times of need either. She spends most of her money on travelling though and she's nice enough to go shopping with me when I want to, but she doesn't buy anything ever, except maybe jeans and lipgloss! Lol.

The point is, everyone is different and we shouldn't expect em to carry a more attractive bag just to please our own eyes.

Black is not synonymous with drab. I have two cool black Pradas and bought a black Dolce and Gabbana the other day. I also have bags in other colours. But so what? I also paint my toenails and do a whole host of girly things. I must admit though, I don't like frumpy-looking bags. The SA in a high-end bag department in my town used to call those drabbies 'nuns' bags'! I can see what she meant, but each to their own. When I see dreary bags and clothes I just feel better about my own!

It is funny how different woman view handbags. My co-worker whom I've gotten close to is totally not into bags. She had purchased a cute bag last Spring from Kohls and had brought it in one day. She mentioned it was too small and I could have it. I said "well, one day you may need to carry a small bag, depending on the occasion. It's good to have a variety." She said she couldnt be bothered. Now the other day tells me" I think that bag got thrown out accidently. It was on the floor by the door and DH probably threw it out." I thought that was very strange as my bags are handled with loving care whether cheap bags or designer. Never mind leaving it on the floor by the door? Maybe she gave it to someone else or changed her mind? I also thought strange as it was barely used.

I just hate to see drab, nondescript women. Period.

I want to say to all of them, bloom, baby bloom.

Taking pride in your appearance is just as important as taking pride in the rest of your life, be it work, school, family whatever. IMO. I don't find it shallow at all, and I hate when people suggest such a thing.

[/end rant] ;)

sorry honey didn't mean to offend. Also appologies to those who don't paint their nails. Im not refering to great black bags but to those dull boring ones. Interesting debate though. I'm sure my friend looks at me & thinks "when is that girl going to get a new pair of jeans?".LOL. We've all got our priorities.

Everyone has their own thing that their interested in. To some, they could care less about handbags and worry and put their money into other things such as vacations, clothes, various hobbies, etc. To some people, they could care less about material items so the more power to them! I know a couple years ago, I was one of the could care less about hand bags (and I was richer for it!) ;)

Ok, I think that is the most ridiculous thing I have read here thus far. First of all, I happen to like a nice, black bag. Just because something is black it does not make it boring or suggest someone doesn't care. Understated is a GOOD look, sorry. I'd rather be quiet and classy than showy and bright. As for the toenail comment, as a 28-year marathon runner, I don't have many toenails left to paint. I would venture to guess, however, that my fitness and body shape makes up for my lack of pretty toenails.

sorry honey didn't mean to offend. Also appologies to those who don't paint their nails. Im not refering to great black bags but to those dull boring ones. Interesting debate though. I'm sure my friend looks at me & thinks "when is that girl going to get a new pair of jeans?".LOL. We've all got our priorities.
Sometimes there is no other way than to have black boring bag.
If you take public trasportation or metro, I would only go with black bag. Anything colorful will look dreadful after couple weeks of use in public transport.

I “take pride in my appearance”—and I like “non descipt plain black bags,” as long as they are well-made. I generally dislike obvious logos and hardware on bags, and my bags *do* go with everything, for my lifestyle. However, to each his/her own...

Ok, I think that is the most ridiculous thing I have read here thus far. First of all, I happen to like a nice, black bag. Just because something is black it does not make it boring or suggest someone doesn't care. Understated is a GOOD look, sorry. I'd rather be quiet and classy than showy and bright. As for the toenail comment, as a 28-year marathon runner, I don't have many toenails left to paint. I would venture to guess, however, that my fitness and body shape makes up for my lack of pretty toenails.

I kind of fall in line w/ this post. I don't see the correlation at all.

I carry a black bag almost every day and only switch bags every few months, b/c it is a hassle to move things. I work in a conservative profession too, so a bright showy bag or bright showy anything, would not fly. A nice, black bag is a staple, IMO. My other bags are basic colors in leather- one brown, one white and a red one.

I think it is a very broad generalization to say that someone carrying a black bag or a canvas bag likely doesn't take care of their appearance. It really varies. Plus, I don't see how painting toe nails, dying hair, waxing or whatever is truly necessary to look put together. As long as you don't look like a "ragamuffin" as my mom would say or that you rolled out of bed when you go to work, to each their own on standards of what is a necessity for grooming.:shrugs:

my other pet hate is grimy purses & wallets. I work as a teller and I've seen some health hazard ones in my time. Ok go bland if you have to just not dirty.
I just have to get this off my chest.....about a month or so ago, I started a thread about seeing women shopping around with grimy dirty handbags.It really bothers me to see that. Some people thought it was fine.....if you get caught running into a store with no choice because you were not prepared. But, I seem to always be prepared to shop with a nice looking bag that isn't dirty. Some people just don't love handbags.